Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to give our gates a lick of paint, same colour they already are. Would you do anything with these mossy bits first? Or would you just slap the paint over the top?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Give it a scrub with a dry brush, then assuming you can wait a couple of days for it to dry out, maybe some soapy water?

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While we're at it. At some point I'm going to need to paint our sleepers. When they were fitted I decided not to, as they looked pretty good plain. But Mr Bunsen (included in picture) has ruined that by piddling up them along their entire length. You can see the tideline where they've turned green!

Any thoughts on a product for this? I'm thinking I might have to go quite dark to cover up his depradations. Something which would resist the smell would be nice too!

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fences you can see as well. Which is shame as I really like the silvered colour of them, but as you can see in the corner, some are starting to go rather mossy.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
mr Bunsen is lovely!

Not gate related, but Mr related. A pal of mine had a rabbit called Mr Bumbles. Off its food for a few days, he took it to a vet, who, having resolved the Food problem, declared that Mr Bumbles was actually... Mrs Bumbles :)

anyway, back to gates. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Unless you want to be painting your fence forever and a day I'd just clean the green off (pressure washer) and leave them silvered up. Much better looking that way.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mr Bunsen is lovely!

Not gate related, but Mr related. A pal of mine had a rabbit called Mr Bumbles. Off its food for a few days, he took it to a vet, who, having resolved the Food problem, declared that Mr Bumbles was actually... Mrs Bumbles :)

anyway, back to gates. :)
Mr Bunsen is definitely a Mr. He's been know to get his lipstick out when he gets too excited. Naughty boy.

Unless you want to be painting your fence forever and a day I'd just clean the green off (pressure washer) and leave them silvered up. Much better looking that way.
You reckon take that approach for sleepers and fences? And just paint the gates.
I can't pretend that's not an attractive proposition. I like the plan to basically not do anything.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wondered about the pressure washer. But I tried pressure washing a teak chair once in the past and it was never the same again, even when re-painted. But perhaps it will be less likely to leave a streaked appearance on this woodwork which has never been painted in the first place.

Don't reckon I'll risk it on the gates though.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently, it's more likely his sister that damages grass.

But they didn't have a chance at this house. Our last house though the lawn could never be kept nice because of the pee and them running around and churning it up in bad weather. So they are indeed responsible for the decision to go artificial.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mr Bunsen is definitely a Mr. He's been know to get his lipstick out when he gets too excited. Naughty boy.

You reckon take that approach for sleepers and fences? And just paint the gates.
I can't pretend that's not an attractive proposition. I like the plan to basically not do anything.
Yes. Unless already painted leave unpainted. Most wood care is water based now and looks shite after a year or so. I've had my fence up nearly 10 years unpainted with no ill effects regarding rot.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought you couldn't get hold of it any more?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Creosote isn't available to normal folk. Carcinogenic properties means it is reserved for professional use only.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Get some light trellis or strings on the fence and plant Jasmines in your borders. Couple of summers and you won't see your fence and you will have zero maintenance evergreen handsome juniper hedges instead. Looks lovely. Little top trim to avoid it creeping into neighbours once per year and jobs a good un. You can't see any of the fences in my garden very easily - but when I poke my nose in to see the condition of them they look great as they are basically protected by what's on them. Jasmine mainly, some Fortinias on other side and Laurels across the end.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Decking oil for the sleepers I would say. Will need redoing every year tho.

As for the gate - you'll need to rub down anyway so just a bit extra elbow grease where there is clear moss/algae growth

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Couldn't you just hold Mr Bunsen up high, so he pees on the upper timber and then it would all match?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts