Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd really like to paint this part of the engine especially as it has the logo molded into the metal. Maybe red.

Now I'd like to attempt to paint it while mounted in the car. Sounds very tricky and cumbersome and not sure if at all poss.

Any suggestions for preparation of surface and type of paint?

·
Registered
870 Posts
if its still on the car, clean it with a brush and white spirit or thinners.
WARNING this fluid is flammable

then use a paint on etch primer and then the colour you want, using high temp paint

ive been doing mine...

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
then use a paint on etch primer and then the colour you want, using high temp paint
what's an etch primer?

Was looking at high temp hammeright but only comes in white :(

cheers

·
Registered
870 Posts
an etch primer is a special type of primer that has a very low amount of acid in it, it "eats" into the metal, only at a molecule level of course, and allows the primer to really stick to the metal. DO NOT USE NORMAL ACID, it will ruin your engine. etch primer is used on aluminuim or other bare metals

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm thinking if I'm using thinners and these special primers then they may affect/damage the gaskets if I attempt to paint while engine still attached.

·
Registered
870 Posts
ok, well you can just clean the engine best you can with engine cleaner, from any auto supply shop, then paint it where you want, its just you may find the paint flakes of after a while and you will have to touch up those parts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh I think that's the best idea for now.

Whenever I have to take the engine out for any breakages then I'll get it done properly.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Kammatic - make sure you run your newly painted engine soon to cure and harden the paint. I didn't do this and it sat in a half built Minari for 18 months. By the time it got used, the metal under the paint had started to corrode again and quite a lot has now peeled off.

·
Registered
870 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmm ok im worried now as the car is still at the body shop and no sign of it soon,,,......

can any one lend me sud to chuck a 16v into a run it up?? lol

saying that i could bench run the thing lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts