Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today i finally got around to changing my rear discs and pads. I Decided to go for drilled and grooved discs to give that sporty look i was after and a tiny proformance boost. I thought while ive got the brakes apart i might as well paint them. Paid £15 for a e-tech caliper painting kit which i didnt think was too bad. It took me about 20 mins to clean each caliper with the cleaner included in the kit. Once cleaned i started painting the calipers leaving 30mins between coats and after 3 coats of paint and im well chuffed with the results. Ive go to leave them to cure overnight then im going to stick a white alfa romeo decal to each caliper to finish the look off.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Looks good:thumbs:
Just be ready for the noise when you brake on those discs, I like it gives an audible indication to the mrs that I am actually slowing down:cheese:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Paint the wheel bolts aswell if you can :thumbs: black or silver makes a big diference and its easy to do. instead of jacking it up and taking the wheels off just take 1 bolt out of each wheel, paint it and then do the next 1 until you have done them all :D I done it on my GTA in silver and my MiTo in black, smartens it up and it lasts a while too, if it starts coming off just repaint them :thumbs:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea with the bolts. Im also thinking about painting the wheels gun metal gray with gray and chrome centre caps

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah they look it. I think i will do the wheel bolts the same colour too. Think i may have to take a week off work at the end of next month to fit my FMIC and paint my wheels before it gets too cold to do anything.

Has anyone had ago at tinting their headlights? Mine are starting to yellow now so i was thinking about a light smoke tint to make them look alittle better.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
have seen a couple of people use some stuff called fly eye or something like that. i have never used it though but it looked quite good

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it a spray or film type tint?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I think its a film type thing. Its got lots of little holes in that you can see when you are up close but not from a distance so it lets the right amount of light through for driving at night /MOT. Im pretty sure it was called fly eye or something similar to that

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
£23 for the discs and just over £16 for the mintex pads that came with a can of brake cleaner, mintex brake grease and a pen lol.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Looks good. :)
Cheap discs :thumbs:
Cheap pads :tut:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol im on a tight budget

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The final photos of my cheap rear brakes. Would have been done yesterday but got rained off.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Paint the wheel bolts aswell if you can :thumbs: black or silver makes a big diference and its easy to do. instead of jacking it up and taking the wheels off just take 1 bolt out of each wheel, paint it and then do the next 1 until you have done them all :D I done it on my GTA in silver and my MiTo in black, smartens it up and it lasts a while too, if it starts coming off just repaint them :thumbs:
Do tell more !!! I was thinking of doing black on my A5oo but was concerned that the paint would chip over time and look crap

Would appreciate some guidance and tips

Cheers

·
Registered
415 Posts
I thought about this when I did my hubs/touched up the callipers a little while ago. Thought the paint would come straight off when I tightened the bolts.. Did you use a particular paint?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You should be proud of a top result there. Even painting the hubs of the discs, quality.
the discs came pre painted so was even better for me.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Do tell more !!! I was thinking of doing black on my A5oo but was concerned that the paint would chip over time and look crap

Would appreciate some guidance and tips

Cheers
I thought about this when I did my hubs/touched up the callipers a little while ago. Thought the paint would come straight off when I tightened the bolts.. Did you use a particular paint?

I find the thread i posted when i done my GTA as theres more info in that 1. With my GTA i had the wheels off so done the bolts at the same time but with the MiTo i had another way of doing it. I started off painting all the spare bolts i had in the box with the locking wheel bolt key.

I cleaned them up 1st and used hammerite smooth from a spray can, a few light coats so its not too thick and when it dries it goes pretty solid so it doesn't come off. The wheels have been taken off a few times on my MiTo and it is only just starting to flake off but as i have a set in the boot already sprayed up i can just swap them over & then paint them again when i run out of 'fresh' bolts :lol: :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts