Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place but i couldn't find a detailing Thread... possibly me being stupid

OK I'm thinking through the finer points of looking after a brand spanking new Giulietta, Solid Alfa Red and the closer the anticipated delivery date gets the more threads I read to make me paranoid about stone chips on modern paint in general and Alfa red in particular.

I know 3M Venture shield (et.al) is an option to coat the front of your beloved in plastic
(pervert) ( yeah you know you did, we all did)

Some of the online vids suggest the results impart a nice Crystal shine, esp to the headlamps

My worries are that this coating will deteriorate over time and being essentially a soft and pliant material you will not be achieve the glorious sheen and beading that results from a loving wash, wax and polish.
Will it take a good detailing even when new?

I have visions of needing to pull it all off and replacing, if so how often?

Also It's crossed my mind to do the doors to prevent keying and shopping trolley misshaps but does this leave edge lines, colour differences?

Anyone with any experience of using this type of product? Especially on RED any thoughts much appreciated.

·
Administrator
87,039 Posts
There are a few threads on the subject in the Giulietta Tech Lounge, do a search for Ventureshield & Paintshield :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had Ventureshield fitted to by bumper only (White G) and there is a very minimal colour difference, but you will see a colour difference between your red bumper and metal body anyway (only slight, but i noticed it on the 3 Red G's i have seen)
Yes the ventureshield does give visible edges and at first it bugged me, but i barely notice them now.
They might bug me a bit more on the door though as i would see it everytime i got tin the car.
The film has something like 5 or 7 years guarantee so you shouldnt need to change it.
Mine is still shiney and clear. The fitter did tell me that if i wax it often then it might get a yellow tint, but he did suggest a polish that would remove the build up of old wax and therefore remove the yellow tint.
I have not needed to do this yet though.

I did however have to have my film replaced after 3 weeks due to our Twonk of an IT manager reversing his BM into it and scuffed the film on the front OS corner.
I am please to say though that it did its job great and there was no damage under the film.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I have ventureshield on my Giulietta - got the car covered, not just the bumper. After a year, there's no issue with it coming off, but the great thing about it is that when I wash the car - even just rinsing the water off, it looks sparklingly good. Sure, some who are in to detailling would pick me up because it won't be up to their standards, but if you ask anyone who sees my car when it's been washed, they are convinced I spend a fortune on a pro detailler to get it looking so good.

Carl at car-shine.co.uk did mine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, some interesting points.

WTFH you had the car wrapped, is that literally everything? like the sections around the boot lip etc?
How much ? (ish) if I may be so bold ... the front end comes in at £499.
I didn't go with a sunroof as I never use them (it's roof off or nothing for me) but I'd probably pass on the roof panel dependent on price though I think sides esp wheel arches would benefit.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I guess it comes down to how long you're looking at keeping the car for.

Personally, £1800 on something you'd keep for three years seems a bit steep. You could have the front end resprayed for less.

If you're looking at keeping it for six years plus then forking out for more protection is more cost effective.

I'm a little dubious about these shields though, stones flying around at high speeds will no doubt damage the shields as well as the paint?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I believe WTFH was the first on here to have his car done, and I used the same guy he used - Carl from car-shine.
Mine was done on the 3rd May but was replaced about 6 weeks or so later.
Only done about 6.5K miles so far though.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Mine was done in September 2010. Now done over 13,000 miles (haven't been driving much for the last 5 months), but previously I was commuting on the M25/M40/M1 and narrow country lanes, so speeds and road conditions have varied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts