Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this evening I have left my baby in the hands of a bodyshop* to get the rusty wings replaced, bumper repaired, and 9 years' worth of general dent-and-scrapeage removed before topping it off with a respray...

Question is:

How long before some utter **** undoes it all?

Place your bets now.

*i.e. a coach works. Not the overpriced hippy soap vendor.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
To be fair I've thought the same thing, but then you may as well not bother. My answer is not think about it and look forward to your car coming back immaculate, it will put a smile on ur face for sometime.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I suggested to the wife that we do all that to her car, full scratch and dent removal, plus some bits sprayed.

She said, don't bother - the best thing would be to get the wheels refurbished as the car has a certain patina with age that is in keeping with the car - and the wheels would make an appropriate up lift, all things considered.

Seemed quite sensible in my mind. Easier too!:)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the wheels last year.

It's the rest of the car that needs mid-life automotive botox.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would also be interested to know where and how much. 133,000 miles of use - wheels / bodywork desperately need a once over to bring the SW up to scratch.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Due back in a day or 2. Will post all once she's back.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, back now and I'm well pleased with the result.

I can recommend Harris Coachworks of Kensworth. Near Dunstable so handy enough for Herts or North London.

Can't post any pictures as it's too dark, wet and and miserable to get a decent shot; but you really can't see where the old paint ends and the new stuff blends in.

All-up it was:
fit 2 new front wings (supplied separately) - you could see daylight through the old ones
repair mashed front bumper
knock out sundry dents in front doors, bonnet, and tailgate
Re-spray bumper, wings, bonnet, and blend in over front doors

(and I'm 1300 quid lighter)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah.
I asked about 2nd hand ones off a breaker, but was advised off it as they are all of an age where the rust issue will be manifesting itself one way or another.

Used ones would be a false economy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts