Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of the exact paint for these wheels or alternatively a good match?

I came across this website but can't be sure which paint is for the wheels in question and at £25 a pop I don't want to order any unless i'm sure.

Cheers.

N

·
0 Posts
I tried on the very first knock but it never looks quite right.

Gave up trying to keep them pristine in the end.
Too much hassle and the fact that all four of mine
were scuffed to **** didn't reduce the trade-in value of the car
by even €0.01.

There are quite a few who've used proper wheel repair services on here,
that seem to be reasonably priced, with good results.

;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
there's been a thread on this in the last couple of days with a link to website with paint codes. I will try and find it

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the link to the website but it does not have paint codes as such just descriptions of the different silvers used by AR.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I managed to get some paint made up for me by paint supplies shop near me. I took a wheel and they matched it while I waited. I sprayed some on the inside of the wheel when I got back and tbh in looked too dark so I practiced on some spare plastic and it looked much closer so I took the plunge and had a go at the wheel.:eek:

I'll take some photos if I can ever find the camera battery.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're a brave soul.

;)
Yeah, I had to do a lot of "convincing myself" before I started. Also reading lots of articles on the web about diy wheel repairs helped. Still can't find the camera battery.

It looks pretty good at the moment. I'm letting the paint (about 5 layers) dry and harden over night and then its on with the clear tomorrow.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally found the battery for the camera. Photos aren't great due to (a) battery died after a couple of shots and (b) I'm rubbish at taking photo's!

There are no before shots so I've ringed the area that was damaged. It looked like a previous SMART repair. The paint was dull and a different shade to the rest so i got the polish on it and as I started to remove the repair paint I went to far and polished straight through to the primer, hence the need to repair the wheel myself.

Anyway, after sanding the area and then cleaning with paint thinners I sprayed the first layer. At this point the paint look too dark so on the next layer I moved the spray can further away to lighten the shade. For the first 4 layers I immediately wiped of all the overspray except from the repair area. For the final two layers I've left the overspray on so I can try to "blend" it in once the paint has fully dried.

1.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

Tomorrow I'll try blending the paint then put the clear on. I'll be putting a good 6 or so layers of clear so I've plenty of scope for wet sanding it flat befor polishing to a finish.

So far i'm really pleased with the job and the colour match is really good. Apologies for the pics. Any advice tips observations very welcome.

I'll update tomorrow with hopefully better pics.

N

·
0 Posts
Not half bad.

All mine were knocked-to-**** in the end I just gave up
bothering about them. Most easily damaged wheels ever. :(

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, well, things went a bit wrong today. I was left with this overspray to try and blend in somehow.
IMG_0849.jpg

I tried to blend the overspray with a bit of polish and I didn't get it quite right.

IMG_0853.jpg

So I got the wet and dry out and sanded it back again. Then it wwas on with some more colour.

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

I will put some more layers on through the day. I was so close to getting it right but I'd just left too much overspray on wheel. This time I'll wipe more off and see how that goes. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finished applying the colour for the 2nd time and i'm much happier with the results. Instead of letting the overspray dry on the last two layers and then trying to blend it I wiped down the excess straight after spraying. Also on the last two layers I lifted the spray can as I ended each pass to fin out the spray.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

As you can see the transition from new paint to the original paint is much smoother. Just need to let it dry overnight and i'll put the clear straight on this time without any sanding/polishing.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Wow, patience of a saint. :eek::lol:

I'd have had them off, shot blasted and re-powder coated by now, but paid through the nose for it.

The mobile repair guys tend to do a decent job but its a patch up rather than a redo.

Good look - they're looking smart so far :cool:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, patience of a saint. :eek::lol:

I'd have had them off, shot blasted and re-powder coated by now, but paid through the nose for it.

The mobile repair guys tend to do a decent job but its a patch up rather than a redo.

Good look - they're looking smart so far :cool:
Cheers Hunter. Your right, its all about patience. This is just a Temporary repair. I'll have all four refurbed at some point.

I put the clear coat on today so I'll wet sand and polish tomorrow.

N

·
0 Posts
Good bit of DIYing there. :thumbs:

My 17s are still unblemished, even though I've hit
a wall with the bumper and rubbed up against UK passport
control at Calais. ("You'd better let me see your driving licence too
with a manoeuvre like that!" said the cheeky-chappy! :tut: :eek:)

N

·
0 Posts
Respray: 150 Euros.

Will see after the summer if it's as good as the factory sun resistance finish.
;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts