Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As you will guess I am a total newbie at taking care of my car myself. But as the happy owner of a white 155 and ex-owner of a Civic DX, I can see obvious differences in the quality of the paint. The 155's is deeper with more gloss, and I can only conclude this takes more care than the usual carwash. Alas it has started chipping in places (especially on the bumpers).

So in the first what do you guys do in order to protect the paint on your car? I understand I'm supposed to polish then wax correct? Quite a job to do manually, no? Because I suppose if you really want to protect the paint in a durable manner, you should do that kind of stuff at least every two weeks... :confused:

And, of course, what about fixing paint chips? When I tried doing that on my silver metallic Civic, the result ended almost worse than the original chip. :mad:

Any tricks?

Ciao a tutti!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi matey!

just the usual advice really, use a good quality polish, autoglym or similar but do avoid using car washes, automatic or pressure washers, forces water where it would never normally end up ;o)

·
Administrator
46,084 Posts
theoretically, sicne your new car is a solid colour rather than a metallic, DIY paint chip repairs should look a lot better.
It's notoriously difficult to repair such things on metallics because, with the metal filings in the pain not lining up, it usually comes out looking like a dogs dinner.
just make sure you use the right white ;)

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I try and polish mine as often as possible, even if I don't have much time and have to rush it. I think the key thing is doing it regularly as it keeps the paint fresh. If I have less time, I do at least the bonnet, roof and bonnet, as they catch the most UV and bird droppings, etc.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ralf S. said:
I try and polish mine as often as possible, even if I don't have much time and have to rush it. I think the key thing is doing it regularly as it keeps the paint fresh. If I have less time, I do at least the bonnet, roof and bonnet, as they catch the most UV and bird droppings, etc.
Dang you must be having big triceps by now. Ever watched Karate Kid? :lol:
Anyway guess I will have to do it; luckily the Alfa sleeps in a garage. That and some pushups everyday, I'll be ready for summer in no time. :cool:
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts