Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on an etna black G for some strange reason, despite the fact black is such a pain to keep clean.

After washing previous black cars Ive ended up with that awful swirl scratchy effect (which seems to effect alot of black cars), I would like to avoid it with my new baby.

Im just wondering what products other people use to wash their cars and to keep the paint in top condition as well as avoiding the paint swirls!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The answer depends how obsessive you want to go

DONT USE A CAR WASH OR THE ONES IN THE SUPERMARKETS

But for an average wash and polish
Snow foam (optional depending how dirty the car is)
Rinse off
Wash with a good quality shampoo using a mitt not a sponge as the sponge will hold tiny bits of grit and dirt and will cause swirls, if you obsessive use two buckets one holding the shampoo one holding clean water, rinse the mitt every time in the clean water (I skip this as it takes ages and I never let my car get massively dirty.
Now dry using a blade to get off most of the water then use a microfiber cloth to dry, most people advise against using chamie leather again this can cause swirls

Waxing
If you’re looking to remove the swirls it might be hard work if you do this by hand but perseverance will pay off its hard to say what best without seeing the swirls as there are so many different cutting waxes etc on the market
Or pay a detailer to remove the swirls expensive but most swirls should be able to be removed once done then all you have to do is keep it swirl free, it’s a shame you so far away I would have done it for a good price for you
Use a good quality wax there are loads around work on a small area at a time as the old saying goes wax on wax off
Seal the paint
Some black stuff for the trim
Tyre dressing

All sounds simple but I allow a good day to two days to fully detail the outside of a car dependant on the paint condition etc
In simple terms job done
I use cleanyourcar.co.uk ......there is also loads of info on there

Hope this helps

Don’t forget the engine bay and the interior

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I'd also suggest using a grit guard in the bottom of your bucket.
You rub your woolen mit over this and it helps loosen and remove any grit you pick on the mit and keeps it at the bottom of the bucket, so reduces the chance of picking it back up and scratching the car during the washing stage.
You will be surprised just how much is caught.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Be gentle with your sponge. Use warm water and loads of wash and wax on your sponge. This will keep a soft layer between the paint and your sponge. Gently, gently does it. Prevention is best.

Lots of good wax too!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sponges are bad.. You should use microfiber mitts instead. The sponge will hold the grit and dirt and scratch your paint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The best proces to follow is

Non contact wash: this may consist of nothing more than a thorough rinse, or may be a full on snow foam and jet wash. But the principle is the same, you are trying to remove as much loose and built up dirt as possible, this includes arches and wheels.

Contact wash: ideally 2 buckets, one for your wash water the other is a rinse bucket. Use a nice plush wash mitt, and a good quality shampoo, no need for loads of shampoo just follow the dilution on the bottle. Dip the mitt in the shampoo bucket, make sure you scoop out lots of liquid, start at the top of the car and do a panel at a time, rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket, ring it out a little then back in the shampoo for the next panel. Do not wash your wheels with this mitt or water, use a seperate mitt and bucket for that.

Rinse: ideally jet wash most of the suds off then do I final rinse with an open ended hose. Be thorough

Dry: the use of something like meguires last touch helps to disperse water on the panels thus requiring less contact when drying. Use a plush microfibre drying towel

REMEMBER: anything that touches the paint marks it regardless how soft, what you are trying to do is limit how much you have to touch the paint and the harshness of how you do it.

Always wash out of direct sunlight.

Don't store your wash tools where they can get dirty

When you wash your towels etc use only liquid soaps and no conditioners.

As stated if you can use a good quality wax to protect the paint a little you will find it easier to wash and dry

HTH

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
+1 For Snowfoam lance.

I've not long bought one and it's ruddy brilliant. Can't believe how easy the dirt washes off after the Snowfoam has been left to dwell for 20+mins.

Truly fantastic bit of kit !

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the advice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts