Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a horrific sight yesterday morning. The paint of the whole of the rear wing on the passenger side had got small blisters and raised areas on it.

At first i thought it was ice but on closer inspection realised it was damaged paint. :cry:
It looked fine earlier in the week. :confused:

looks like the previous owner, more than 2 years ago, had the rear passenger side wing painted.

I have been to a local body shop who were horrified with the state of the paint job, post frost that is, pointing out that the rubbing down marks from the base coat could be seen under the lacquer. The guy thinks it may have been damp when the top coat was put on and the really cold weather has frozen the trapped moisture.

Anyway £250 to put right.

The big question is should I ditch the aerial and have the hole filled and painted over and go for an internal aerial? Or, is the car no longer original without the auto aerial?

Opinions greatly received.

On another note does anybody use a car cover?

Jimny

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i personally would cover the hole. might as well while you are there. if i was painting the panel that's what i would do. :cool:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Good idea. Brazed patch in place, then lead loaded, smear of filler/stopper, then a wing repaint. Nice little, but most rewarding job that'll be. Good luck.:):

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
I have a car cover that I have never used...so no I dont USE one.....
My cars got eczema at the mo too, horrible....a large patch the size of an i phone :( Getting it sorted in the summer, as no point in this weather (My sprayer is on a farm, in a converted barn, which has also influenced this idea)

R

·
0 Posts
Yep, I'd ditch the aerial as well. I'm sure a decent quality cover would be fine, but I have painful memories of keeping a car under a cover one winter and unwrapping it in the spring to find that the wind had made the cover flap and rub through the paint in a couple of places.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts