Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advise anyone!!

Noticed the other day a very small paint blister beneath the driver side rear window sill. The blister has subsequently popped to reveal a 5mm diameter rust spot. This is a shame because the overall paint work is almost perfect on my 55 plate 156.

I would guess a rub back to remove the rust and a minor respray would solve the problem or am I been optimistic?

What am I looking at cost-wise for what appears to be a minor repair in the West Yorkshire area?

Replies appreciated...

Shakes

J

·
0 Posts
i would be looking to see if i could get that done under paint warranty, have a chat with your local dealer

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Try "Chips-Away" .......... They'll come out do the touch up ............... charge you about sixty quid or so........... and you won't notice the reair............. Thet are really good, I've used them a few times on cars I've owned.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think your being optimistic mate.
you cant just blend paint especially metalics.
a body shop would probably paint the door wing and pasenger door so you cant notice the colour change.
To give you an idea i needed a wing spraying and the bodyshop needed to spray the door as well to blend the colour.
If it is only 5mil try to rub down just the spot. how i dont know and touch it up to stop it spreading.
or alternativly buy a second hand door the same colour from factory and fit it.
Much cheaper than a spray job.
Try auto lusso for second hand parts. they are very good and will more than likely have your door in the right colour.
if your car is red then defo get a second hand door as red fades and you will spot a resprayed area a mile off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys:cool: I am the second owner with a third party warranty so will check! I was thinking £50 or so would do it if the warranty does't cover it.

Shakes

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i would be looking to see if i could get that done under paint warranty, have a chat with your local dealer
Only if the service book has been stamped twice with the anti perforation check. rarely done unfortunately.
If it is not in the service book alfa dont want to know.
And even if it has been done you have a fight on your hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a body shop would probably paint the door wing and pasenger door so you cant notice the colour change.
To give you an idea i needed a wing spraying and the bodyshop needed to spray the door as well to blend the colour.
If it is only 5mil try to rub down just the spot. how i dont know and touch it up to stop it spreading.
Try auto lusso for second hand parts. they are very good and will more than likely have your door in the right colour.
if your car is red then defo get a second hand door as red fades and you will spot a resprayed area a mile off.
Colour is stromboli grey. I was hoping such a job wouldn't be neccesary if caught early though...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Cheers guys:cool: I am the second owner with a third party warranty so will check! I was thinking £50 or so would do it if the warranty does't cover it.

Shakes
second hand door. YES
spray job. NO

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
get on to autolusso for a second hand door.

Spraying is not as easy as it looks.
And you will never acheive a perfect colour match due to mixing and colour fade etc.
Thats why body shops spray as many panels as posible so you dont notice any resprayed area.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
............. I beg to differ here ............. I had chips-away sorted a scratch on the A pillar of a BMW in metallic grey ............ and another one by the aerial on top of the wing of a metallic blue BMW I owned........... both were first class jobs and absolutely unnoticeable in any light ..........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
get on to autolusso for a second hand door.

Spraying is not as easy as it looks.
And you will never acheive a perfect colour match due to mixing and colour fade etc.
Thats why body shops spray as many panels as posible so you dont notice any resprayed area.
How much for a second hand door. Seems a tad extreme but I had that thought at the back of my mind. Just thought a competent minor respray would do the job given the very small area!

Shakes

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
well put it this way i got a bumper, bonnet, and both wings in the same colour as my car. (bought it accident damaged) for £150 from autolusso.
i highly recomend them.
And considoring i was quoted £600 to £800 to respray the parts autolusso saved me a shed load of money.
I would have thoght a door would be 40 to 50 quid plus p+p unless you pick it up.
The car on the left in the pic is wearing second hand autolusso parts.
You would never know. colour match is perfect.

Oh and a door is easy to fit.
Much easyer then a respray. ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well put it this way i got a bumper, bonnet, and both wings in the same colour as my car. (bought it accident damaged) for £150 from autolusso.
i highly recomend them.
And considoring i was quoted £600 to £800 to respray the parts autolusso saved me a shed load of money.
I would have thoght a door would be 40 to 50 quid plus p+p unless you pick it up.
The car on the left in the pic is wearing second hand autolusso parts.
You would never know. colour match is perfect.

Oh and a door is easy to fit.
Much easyer then a respray. ;-)
Cheers Crespo2121. Thought a whole door would have cost more, Deffo worth looking at.

Will consider Chips Away as well. Will Two options that make me feel happier... Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Shakes.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I think the rust warranty is for rust starting INSIDE and eating outwards ... not rust caused bt stone-chips, scratches, etc. And the service book as pointed out needs to be stamped at the correct intervals ... vet often this isn't done (because the owner has to ask!) and so Alfa have a get out ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the rust warranty is for rust starting INSIDE and eating outwards ... not rust caused bt stone-chips, scratches, etc. And the service book as pointed out needs to be stamped at the correct intervals ... vet often this isn't done (because the owner has to ask!) and so Alfa have a get out ....
Yeah, I read on another thread about this and it may be the case regarding where the problem stems from. A new door for the same price as a respray looks a good option.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Chips-away repair is very dependent on the skill of the guy who carries out the work. I had dent (looked like it had been shot with a .22 slug) repaired on the leading edge of the bonnet of mine, and the guy did a brilliant job. Can't see it at all even after 3 years. He had all the gear to tent the car, and equipment to cure/dry the paint. The job took abt 6hrs and cost £150. Worked for someone with a name similar to DentMaster, unfortunately he's not doing them now. The only hint I would give is that he had to add some BMW gold to the paint match info that he could obtain from vehicle info. - 156 Sport Stromboli Grey. Luckily he left me with approx 100mm for future minor repairs, which I haven't had to dip into (hope it doesn't go off).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi mate, had this with my 156, where it blisters is in fact a seperate part of the door, its a strip thats goes on top of the door. i think i paid around £20.00 from alfa for it. its quite a simple job, take door panel off and all is revealed, it only needs a little spray job before fitting and getting a match because it is such a small surface area is okay. hope this helps regards paul.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts