Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from discussion about this a while back, I thought I'd post the results of some searching. If you've got a GTA with the later 330mm brakes, then hardly any sites list your car. From seeing that the Ferodo DS2500 part numbers for the GTA 330mm and the Evo 8 are the same, I found the part numbers for Pagids, which was what I was looking for. You are better off searching for Evo 8 pads if looking for a range of compounds, you get much more choice.

For what it's worth, the part numbers are below (note the Pagid is a fit number, not a real part number, you can get the various compounds under this overall number):

Brembo OEM: MR407376
Ferodo DS2500: FCP1334
Pagid: E2487

The Pagids are available from here:

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/p...d=301&osCsid=b778f86ed7eea9c04ccf667b597165b5

And if you click on the compound info under the "technical" section on the RHS you get a run-down of the different compounds, if funds permit ahead of the Doni trackday I'll buy the "Blue" compound, black might be more suitable for light track use or road use.

I've used Pagids before - and tried them back to back in the same car vs things like EBC greens and OEM pads, and they are superb - I find carbon based compounds give loads of bite and feel. I also find the OEM Brembo pads very unnerving to use, they lack bite from cold and fade when hot, with a period in the middle where they are OK but no more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for info on the brake pads. Do the Pagids or Ferodo's give off anymore brake dust than the standard pads?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I dont know about the Pagids, but the DS2500's give off way less than standard, especially for heavy use. Its also a lighter coloured dust.

BTW James did you get the PAgids in the end, given you had to miss Donny?

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmmmmm... If the Evo8 pads work in the 330mm calipers, does this mean that the Evo8 and the Alfa 330mm calipers are the same?

I know I raised a similar query before and found out that the Alfa ones are radial mounts - are the Evo8 ones also radial mounts?

Would be good to know as this may be an alternative source for calipers for the 330mm brake upgrade!!

Per

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Hmmmmm... If the Evo8 pads work in the 330mm calipers, does this mean that the Evo8 and the Alfa 330mm calipers are the same?

I know I raised a similar query before and found out that the Alfa ones are radial mounts - are the Evo8 ones also radial mounts?

Would be good to know as this may be an alternative source for calipers for the 330mm brake upgrade!!

Per
surely the answer to that question is obvious?
;)

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
I would have thought so... theyre both made by brembo, they both mount the same way, they have the same pads which means the same size pad right? the Evo 8 is listed as having 320mm disks, but if the caliper uses they same pad as the 330mm alfa set up then surely its just a case of buying the alfa disks and getting the right spacers for the alfa hub studs? You might even be able to but those from the main agents as it comes with the kit to convert to 330mm....

but then again maybe not? this pic of a supposed standard evo 8 caliper looks a bit different from the alfa one
http://i16.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/8f/90/82_1_b.JPG

Most calipers can be adapted for different purposes though with the right spacers, the factthese 2 share the same pad would indicate to me that theres a possibility, and with soem on ebay going for currently 99p it migth be worth a punt to find out for sure?

·
Registered
645 Posts

I've used Pagids before - and tried them back to back in the same car vs things like EBC greens and OEM pads, and they are superb
Sometime in 2006 I ordered exactly this part number from Ferodo and I got pads wich are no better then the standard pads. I found out you need to add an "H" to the part number to get DS2500 pads and if you add an "R" you get DS3000 pads. I drove around with pads wich weren't much better then standard, thinking I had DS2500 (for a very nice price, turned out I had almost standard pads for a normal price :( ).

I also used Pagid Blue pads earlier in 2006. They brake fantastic but they require good discs and lot's of cooling. After just two laps at Zolder my brakesystem would overheat and the steeringwheel would shake like mad. A bit of cooling down solved this. Pagid Blue is perhaps a bit strong for a "hard on brakes" circuit like Zolder.

Didn't have any problem with them at Zandvoort. Perhaps I will give them a go at the ring and see how they perform.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Pagid: E2487
Checked with my pads lying in a box in the garage, and that's 110% correct. Add "RS42" to that number to get the "Blue" pads.

According to a supplier in NL it's also for Evo 5/6/7 from 1998 on. (I have to little EVO knowledge to know if the Evo 5 is from before 1998?, so excuse any mistakes)

BTW. To make this complete. The rear brakes on most Alfa's (incl. GTA) is a Lucas system. Ferodo partnumber FCP1349(H).

·
Registered
645 Posts
BTW. To make this complete. The rear brakes on most Alfa's (incl. GTA) is a Lucas system. Ferodo partnumber FCP1349(H).
ERROR: For the 156/166 it is FCP995(H).

Also found the code for Hawk HT-10 pads for the 330 mm. frontbrakes: HB.453.S.585 (S for HT-10, V for HT-14 compound)

G

·
No, not necessarily.

The pic Ukoldskool posted suggests that Evo 8 calipers are lug mounted.

Per
Its possible that the mounting points are the same for an Evo 8 caliper but I have my doubts. Too many variables. Disc thickness, wheel design and offset, clearences around suspension components etc. The one argument for it would be that Alfa changed the upright design to accomodate the bolt spacing of the Brembo caliper (305mm discs and lug mounted caliper), which suggests it was either

A) an existing caliper and alfa altered the upright to fit it rather than cover design costs associated with a new design/redesign. They altered the GTA upright in other ways too so it would have been at a small cost

or

B) Perhaps Brembo have standard mount dimensions. If this is true, they must have more than 1 setup as 166 calipers have different mounts as do Fiat coupe brembos........

·
Registered
48 Posts
this is not the only ds2500 that suits for gta (330mm)

FRP3067H (GTA, STI, EVO) - the one I have
FCP1334H (GTA, EVO)

both of them are ds2500 and the only difference is thickness - 14,7 or 16mm (and sometimes the price ;) )

I heard from ferodo representative that 1663 is also ok for gta but I didn't try it.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
ERROR: For the 156/166 it is FCP995(H).

Also found the code for Hawk HT-10 pads for the 330 mm. frontbrakes: HB.453.S.585 (S for HT-10, V for HT-14 compound)
You were right the first time.
FCP1349H for the rear of all 2002-> 156 & all 147.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
And anybody know the part number for DSPerf for the rear of a 156 GTA?

I haven't decided between DSPerf and DS2500 for the rear of my car in an attempt to add some more rear bias.
I know DS2500's would be a safe enough bet but just wonder if DS2500 might be better from a balance viewpoint on track?
The rear pads are hardly doing anything on my car at the moment, so increasing the friction coefficient seems like a poor mans way to increase the braking effort at the rear, in the absence of an adjustable bias valve.

The car is hugely stable under braking at the moment so EBD isn't really getting involved at the rear, its just proportionately underbraked I suspect.

- My car is lowered which means that the rear brake bias would normally have to be increased a little.

- The front braking effort is currently stronger proportionately than the rear due to DS2500's front Vs standard pads rear.

- My car was upgraded to 330mm calipers, I wonder did the cars that have the 330mm ones as standard from the factory have any slight tweaks to the EBD control unit to alter the default hardwired mechancal split of braking effort before wheel slip is detected.

Its possible I will occasionally have DS3000's on the front, but otherwise DS2500's.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would put DS2500 on the rear as well. Having said that, I will be running DS3000/2500 front, EBC Yellowstuff on rear at the ring. That should be amusing. ;)

And anybody know the part number for DSPerf for the rear of a 156 GTA?

I haven't decided between DSPerf and DS2500 for the rear of my car in an attempt to add some more rear bias.
I know DS2500's would be a safe enough bet but just wonder if DS2500 might be better from a balance viewpoint on track?
The rear pads are hardly doing anything on my car at the moment, so increasing the friction coefficient seems like a poor mans way to increase the braking effort at the rear, in the absence of an adjustable bias valve.

The car is hugely stable under braking at the moment so EBD isn't really getting involved at the rear, its just proportionately underbraked I suspect.

- My car is lowered which means that the rear brake bias would normally have to be increased a little.

- The front braking effort is currently stronger proportionately than the rear due to DS2500's front Vs standard pads rear.

- My car was upgraded to 330mm calipers, I wonder did the cars that have the 330mm ones as standard from the factory have any slight tweaks to the EBD control unit to alter the default hardwired mechancal split of braking effort before wheel slip is detected.

Its possible I will occasionally have DS3000's on the front, but otherwise DS2500's.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
I haven't checked recently, but last time I did they didn't make DS-Performance for the rear of 147/GT & late (i.e. 2002->) 156.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Thanks Zbenio, thats for DS2500 though.
..but good link, I have bookmarked it :)

I suspect DS2500 on the rear probably makes more sense anyway for track season, especially if DSPerf isn't available as David suggested.

Cheers,
TB

1 - 20 of 59 Posts