Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been away for a while but back now as my better half has purchased a very lovely 2010 Mito Cloverleaf in etna black. Looks very pretty and is a nicely nippy too, so rather impressed. Handling is not too bad in 'D' too :)

One thing i don't like - and i understand this may be controversial - is the brakes. I'm running a modified disc & Ferodo DS2500 pad setup on my MPS, which is utterly excellent and is no doubt skewing my perception, however, i know that the bite and feel could be a lot better so was wandering what other people have tried in terms of alternative pad materials? I see Ferodo list the FDS1667 for the Punto GA, but i don't know if this would fit! Has anyone managed to fit some Mintex M1144 / Cosworth / Hawk pads to a Cloverleaf / QV? (Not a fan of EBC based on previous experience)

Thoughts, comments & advice would be gratefully received!

As an aside, if anyone has had any particularly good or bad experiences with Monza Sports Tuning can you please PM me as i don't want to throw money away on dodgy remaps!

:thumbs:

P.S. I did try searching, but all the Brembo stuff i found referred to retrofitting to non brembo cars :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Out of interest, it might be worth getting the pad dimensions. On the MINI it was found out that that Brembo brake pad from the R56 Works kit is an identical shape and backing plate as the Brembo pad on a 350Z GT... which then opened up a whole load of potential pad options since the aftermarket is a lot more mature for the Nissan.

There's a slim possibility the Brembo kit on the MiTo is almost identical to another OEM Brembo setup and that may offer up some more pad options.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
James, monza done my remap. 100% happy with it.

Had it done by celtic tuning before and gave me nothing but problems, had to take it back to alfa to sort it out!

highly reccomend monza.

Getting them to fit a full ragazzon system to mine. parts been ordered just waiting on dewlivery now. will be posting pics and a vid once fitted

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ta :thumbs:

Considering a 57i kit and remap. Not sure on the necessity of exhaust for the Cloverleaf... Around the 200bhp mark with better breathing would be ideal i reckon. Again, probably skewed as i'm used to a much faster car, but hey, it's fun :)

Not seen any uprated rear ARBs on sale anywhere yet either. Probably me needing to look harder though..

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yer to be fair my cloverleaf with a remap and new "green" air panel filter makes a hugh improvement.

Ill let you know if the full ragazzon is worth the investment, hopefully within two weeks or so.

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
Good gains can be had from modifying the exhaust on the Mito. The largest restriction is the exit cone of the cat converter. We enlarge this from roughly 44mm standard to 63mm. The idea behind the restrictive exit cone in the cat is to build up pressure and get the cat up to temperature much quicker for emissions reasons. This means the Mito can run only one cat, unlike some of the earlier petrol Alfas that have a small one right at the engine and a large one underneath the car. The downsides are that it is massively restrictive to flow. The cat itself is actually a good size and doesn't pose a problem for 230+bhp.

Ideally you want the rest of the system to match the bore of enlarged cat exit cone, so 2.5" straight through. There isn't really a whole lot of point changing the exhaust without sorting the restrictions up-stream out first, except to give it a nicer noise.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Does the Gulietta suffer from this same restriction (assuming 170MA), and what sort of gains are you looking at?

Also does anyone know what DS2500 pad (if any) fits the G's 330 mm brembo caliper ? (I asked in the G forum but no one responded..)

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
Does the Gulietta suffer from this same restriction (assuming 170MA), and what sort of gains are you looking at?

The Giulietta 170 shares the same cat as the Mito 170, but I was referring to the 155 model, I haven't had chance to have a look at a 170 yet. I imagine it will be the same or maybe even worse, as the 170 engine is Euro 5 emissions compliant.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good gains can be had from modifying the exhaust on the Mito. The largest restriction is the exit cone of the cat converter. We enlarge this from roughly 44mm standard to 63mm. The idea behind the restrictive exit cone in the cat is to build up pressure and get the cat up to temperature much quicker for emissions reasons. This means the Mito can run only one cat, unlike some of the earlier petrol Alfas that have a small one right at the engine and a large one underneath the car. The downsides are that it is massively restrictive to flow. The cat itself is actually a good size and doesn't pose a problem for 230+bhp.

Ideally you want the rest of the system to match the bore of enlarged cat exit cone, so 2.5" straight through. There isn't really a whole lot of point changing the exhaust without sorting the restrictions up-stream out first, except to give it a nicer noise.
Since the exhaust bore on the Cloverleaf is larger than the 155, i'd be disappointed to have to change the entire system from cat back. I'll have to do some research - unless Towney takes some piccies when he gets the new 'zoorst' on ;)
May be able to mod the existing system or have a revised mating section welded in place.

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
I think Towney is having a Ragazzon from the frontpipe back? I'd be interested to see if it gives any performance gain on its own. From what I've seen I think that bottleneck just after the cat is the key thing to fix IMO if you are after performance from a Mito, at least on the 155. The rest of the exhaust is actually pretty good except for it could do with being a bit bigger bore. I wasn't aware the 170 had a larger bore exhaust, do you know what bore it actually is? If I remember rightly the 155 is 2".

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
That looks good, it will get rid of the restrictions I mentioned about in the cat exit cone. Are you going to put it on the dyno before remapping it? If so you should do ~500 miles first to let the ECU adapt to the new exhaust.

·
Vendor
45,757 Posts
Well, theres no real need to do that for any other reason than to find out what sort of performance increase you can expect from the exhaust alone, once the ecu has adapted. But it would be interesting to know. You would need to get the car dyno'd before fitting the exhaust, to get a base line reading for your car. Then ideally you should fit the exhaust, do 500 miles & then get it dyno'd.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im haveing the full thing mate, rather then explaining you can see the following link to what i got on order

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa MiTo Ragazzon Edelstahl Komplett Sportauspuff-Anlage Edelstahl Sportauspuff-Anlage mit 200 cpi Katalysator 3220x

its 60mm throughout which opens up some of the restrictions. however, only time will tell after i get it on the dyno :)
I thought the standard Cloverleaf exhaust was 2", which should be fine for the gas flow at circa 200bhp. 60mm is quite large for a 1.4T producing only 200bhp! I'm running 68mm at the mo on my 2.3 Turbo which chucks out a little over 300bhp (and enough torque to shift the moons orbit!)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts