Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be barking up the wrong tree but I came across 2 conversions for sportronic cars and I quite fancy this myself as I enjoy using the manual shift option. I'm assuming that moving the gear stick simply operates a switch indicating change up or down.

I have contacted the two folk who have done the conversion, one used Ferrari F430 paddles, the other used Maserati ones, both are mounted to the column but as yet no response. The F430 paddles are around £1250 each which I think rules them out, the Maserati ones are circa £200 which is nearer the mark. I've been advised that the 156 selespeed wheel won't fit a 166 column which would have been an easy way round if not as authentic.

Has anyone else thought of this as a mod to a sportronic? I think it would make for a more engaging driving experience, I also hear that some late model 166's were fitted with a 5 speed auto which would transform the drive even more but I think it was only fitted to 2.4 jtd's and that conversion might be as Madness once said "one step beyond"

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It sounds a good idea! I think your best bet is to make your own aluminium paddles attached to the steering column and furnished with 'click'-type microswitches, as they are in my other car. That way you're saved the difficulty of using a clockspring with extra wires etc. Sometimes I think I would prefer them to turn with the steering wheel, but the general consensus is that they should be on the column.

Oddly enough the Logitech steering wheels (like the G29 for PC/PS4 or G920 for XBox One/PC) have a lovely paddle design in stainless steel, but attached to the wheel. Maybe that can also be design inspiration for you, as with their particularly robust microswitches, they seem far better executed than 147/159 or Stilo/Giulietta paddles (I've had experience of all those; none of them use proper microswitches!).

Sorry this post isn't very helpful :) the first thing I would suggest is to wire some test switches across the ones found in the selector lever and see whether the +/- functions when the lever is NOT in 'Sport' mode - I'm not sure it will - that would of course mean the lever has to be moved across before your paddles can function. I always find that position intensely irritating when it comes time to park or reverse - gets me every time, forgetting to move it across. Probably a good thing though as at least you have a means to make it automatic again (moving the lever back across to D).

-Alex

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I let my dad test drive my 156 V6 Q system. It has a similar set up to the 166 Auto, except when the lever is knocked over, instead of sequential, it has a traditional 4 speed hatch selector, it's quite fun actually. Thing is my dad still drives a Morris Minor and he couldn't get his head round it....along with his ham fists he accelerated in second and instead of moving to third he shoved the lever right over and back into Park!
Thankfully the gearbox wasn't disembowelled..it just made polite electronic beeping noises, which annoyed him immensely..yeah he was unimpressed with the new-fangled stuff.
Anyway, my mother now drives it...I told her just to leave it in "D" and not to press "Sport"...she is fine with that, but it's a bit of a waste!
Sorry, off topic and not very helpful!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
There may be another option.

The Lambo Murcialago uses the same wiper/lights stalks as the 916 GTV/Spider. And the same clockspring as the 166/GTV.

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-parts-shop/lamborghini/lamborghini-murcielago/steering-column-switch-stalk-indicator-wiper-lever-lamborghini-murcielago/

And the 916 steering wheel and clockspring are, to all intents and purposes, identical to the 166 ( I know as I have a 166 audio control steering wheel and clockspring in my GTV ).

So, it is possible the Murcialago paddles may fit the 166 with little modification. Worth considering ( but the Murcialago paddles are also expensive! ).

EDIT : It is possible the paddle shift Murcialago used different wheel/stalk/clockspring - just a bit of research needed.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There may be another option.

The Lambo Murcialago uses the same wiper/lights stalks as the 916 GTV/Spider. And the same clockspring as the 166/GTV.

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-parts-shop/lamborghini/lamborghini-murcielago/steering-column-switch-stalk-indicator-wiper-lever-lamborghini-murcielago/

And the 916 steering wheel and clockspring are, to all intents and purposes, identical to the 166 ( I know as I have a 166 audio control steering wheel and clockspring in my GTV ).

So, it is possible the Murcialago paddles may fit the 166 with little modification. Worth considering ( but the Murcialago paddles are also expensive! ).

EDIT : It is possible the paddle shift Murcialago used different wheel/stalk/clockspring - just a bit of research needed.
Thank you for this, more to ponder on.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I have to say I miss driving my 156 SW Selespeed!!!
Hope to get it back on the road at some stage...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have some modifications in my 166. My Paddle Shift rotated together with the steering wheel. I did a month ago. Pictures from the assembly. It cost ca.10-20e :hehe: If anyone wants to do this I can help

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have some modifications in my 166. My Paddle Shift rotated together with the steering wheel. I did a month ago. Pictures from the assembly. It cost ca.10-20e :hehe: If anyone wants to do this I can help
Very nice!
what paddles are those? which clockspring did you use?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts