Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if it's a stupid question, I have some ferodo ds2500 front pads I never used, there is a reason, anyway is it fine to just store them in the garage, or do they deteriorate in time. I bought them about a year and a half ago.

I was also curious about wheel cleaners, I use an acid free wheel cleaner, but given it brakes up pad dust particles, if you get some on your pads, does it brake them down, or if it's washed off quickly no harm, was never any good at physics.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Can't answer your question regarding wheel cleaners, but the DS2500's you've had for eighteen months will be fine. I'd get them on the car asap, better to be used than left in a box. I woulkd start to worry about using them if they were 5 years old +, Make sure you break them in as per the instructions.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,251 Posts
If you need to keep them any long, dont leave them in the garage, take them in the house, sneak them in the airing cupboard if you can! Keep them dry. This is only my opinion, not based on any technical knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok understood, just thought the garage would be the same as if they were fitted to car.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Don't worry, they'll be fine in the garage!

Reactions: djlosmi

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I've run in these ds2500's I can't say I'm overly impressed, I know they need to get warm, even on a blast through Milton Keynes where you have constant stopping for roundabouts, so either they don't like the grooved discs, or I have to accept the calipers on a gtv are small for the car, or non vented discs will only ever deliver a certain brake level. Thoughts on a postcard please,

·
Registered
798 Posts
I drove through MK yesterday, en route to get a busso v6. My past experience with grooved discs was dissappointing, ISTR you had to press the pedal much harder, and they vibrated when hot. Best brakes I had were asbestos, which is really not good for you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's the grooved discs. Once bedded in, the DS2500's don't need to get warm to work well. I was used to the 70's DS11's that really did need to get hot, but these 2500's should be great from the off. Mine perform just as well from cold as a standard pad.
Mine are on standard discs, I've never been a lover of grooved ones, had them once before and they were crap.

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
Maybe the grooved discs are over-cooling the pads? I have to say I have never been a fan of grooved discs. Prefer to have just a good quality plain disc.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Won't be that, like I said above, these pads work well from cold. Those installed in my Ti Super Rep will stand on it's nose first thing in the morning at the end of the road where I live.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Oh b*ll*cks, I've had DS2500's for a while and like them but have just fitted a pair of grooved discs (because I am forever fettling) and now your telling me they are cr*p.... , wont be driving it for a couple of weeks as we are away so I'll just have to wait and see, in the meantime I'll get the original discs skimmed, just in case ...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I love my DS2500’s and have run them for 5 years plus on standard discs. I’ve recently changed the front discs to grooved ones and I love them too, much improved braking performance and feel. Fully tested at Goodwood, run down to NAD and quite a few fast road run outs in between

For me, I won’t be going back to standard pads and discs.

Wait until you drive them Martin!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I love my DS2500’s and have run them for 5 years plus on standard discs. I’ve recently changed the front discs to grooved ones and I love them too, much improved braking performance and feel. Fully tested at Goodwood, run down to NAD and quite a few fast road run outs in between

For me, I won’t be going back to standard pads and discs.

Wait until you drive them Martin!
Cheers Simon, I'm looking forward to trying them when I get back, will have my refreshed Momos too, loads of gigs in August to show them off at.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's all very subjective of course. Just sharing my experiences of them. Simon obviously likes them, but lots of people on Alfa BB have the same experience as me, and have gone back to good quality standard discs with DS's.The guy from Alfaholics who races / raced an Alfa 75 (Parts Manager I think ), regularly posts on Alfa BB and here, has had the same experiences as me, and makes the same recommendations.
In the end, it's horses for courses, and what's good for one will be not so good for another. Let us know what you feel about them when you've given them a good spanking Martin.....

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks for the feedback, I'll only find out by getting some standard discs again, but as these are fresh I'll do that in the future, still think the calipers are pants, or I'm driving quicker and forgotten what 1983 braking is like

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If there’s an issue with your calipers then that’s the first thing to address, new pads and discs won’t help with that issue. The standard calipers should be more than adequate for spirited fast road driving though I know from experience that the inboard brakes are notoriously difficult to set up but I’d make sure the calipers were sorted first.
While we’re talking brake mods, I’d also recommend braided hoses.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The calipers work fine, but I think the single piston and size is from the original that came out in the mid 70's, don't get me wrong I'm not looking to win any last of the late brakers awards, I've asked many times about braided hoses, and what I'm told is they just change pedal feel, not improve anything, someone may know better than the mechanics I've asked, it might be I get out of a giulietta and go back to machinery 30 years prior, I've had a gtv for the past 20 years so you'd think I should know them in and out, but as I tell my mechanic I'm just the driver I don't touch anything other than fluid levels, anyway thanks all for the feedback, that's what I like about the forum, other than Hazel and Mr mint alfetta saloon, Rob I don't know anyone else on here that has a 2.0

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
A couple of reasons to go for braided hoses.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
565 Posts
....that's what I like about the forum, other than Hazel and Mr mint alfetta saloon, Rob I don't know anyone else on here that has a 2.0
I remember (ages ago) posting here to say that I've tried loads of pads on my 2 litre Alfetta over the 31 years I've owned it - including DS2500, EBC green, EBC yellow, Tarox (Strada and Corsa) and lots of others. In my experience the best set up for my particular car is Tarox G88 grooved discs front and rear, with Tarox Strada pads (lower temperature) at the rear and Tarox Corsa pads (higher temperature, and higher coefficient of friction) at the front.

In anything other than racing use, it's really hard to get enough heat into the rear brakes for high temperature pads to work optimally - so the standard Tarox (Strada) pads are great because they work brilliantly from cold. The higher-temperature Corsa pads on the front of my car also work very well from cold but will easily survive the temperatures encountered on the front brakes of a 'fast road' Alfetta. This set up gives a very progressive pedal feel too, so the brakes can be modulated more easily than on some other upgrades.

People fit hotter pads because they think they are 'high performance' but the price you pay is that nearly all of them are 'low performance' when fitted to a road car - because you'll rarely get them hot enough to work as well as they could.

So it's a compromise between low temperature performance, high temperature durability, fade resistance, front/rear balance and pedal feel. I think I've found the best compromise for me - and it's only taken three decades of experimentation to do it!

Of course, other drivers and other cars might be happier with a different compromise....

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so thinking about it, I maybe should have listened and just got normal discs, I've also been told bedding the 2500's is quite involved literally 30 stops from 50 continuously, don't think I did that, anyway I've just come into some spare cash and have splurged on a Chris Snowden uprated front brake kit, better calipers large disc braided hoses and fancy carbon lorraine pads, think that should work, they look bloody lovely

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts