1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I put unidaiag on my 156 this morning to check for faults. It came up with:

P1653, camshaft control relay circuit

To me, that sounds like the variator actuator, but the list of OBD codes on this site says it's the power steering :confused:

If Unidiag is right, and it's the camshaft control circuit, could that be what's causing my hesitation when cold?

I've also got an unknown error code, 0x1173 s/c to Battery+ or above top limit. Anyone know what that is?

I tried to read the lambda sensor o/p, but there's a bug in the software/definition file for that sensor. Hey ho.

Cheers,

Iain

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
If it's the list I put up then this is one of the 3 known codes that are wrong in it, it is the variator solenoid, and it's easy to diagnose, just put a multimeter across the 2 terminals of the solenoid and check for continuity, if there's none then undo the 2 philips screws on the top of it and remove the cap, connect the multimeter to the 2 spikes on the solenoid and check for continuity again, I bet you get it this time. if you do then it's the cap at fault, what I do is drop little balls of solder into the 2 holes for the spikes in the cap and then fit it back on, then you should have your continuity back accross the plug terminals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

I put unidaiag on my 156 this morning to check for faults. It came up with:

P1653, camshaft control relay circuit

To me, that sounds like the variator actuator, but the list of OBD codes on this site says it's the power steering :confused:

If Unidiag is right, and it's the camshaft control circuit, could that be what's causing my hesitation when cold?

I've also got an unknown error code, 0x1173 s/c to Battery+ or above top limit. Anyone know what that is?

I tried to read the lambda sensor o/p, but there's a bug in the software/definition file for that sensor. Hey ho.

Cheers,

Iain

I get the same problem hesitation when cold. i have a 147 selespeed I need to the cambelt coming up to the 72000 miles mark. The camshaft control circuit is that expensive to fix?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did what Smaky said, and he was right on the money. Open circuit between the solenoid plug pins, but 10ohms or so across the pins under it.

My soldering iron decided to go on the blink, so I just got some copper desolder braid, cut a couple of short lengths off it, pushed them into the holes in the cap and hey presto.

It hasn't cured my cold-running problems, but it's one less thing to fix :)

Cheers,

Iain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts