Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am hoping someone more experienced than I will see this post and be able to guide me a bit. So I recently acquired another 2.0 TS and have hit some running faults having now done 600 miles in it. It was really rough when cold but once it has idled for 5 minutes it was driveable. Fiat Ecu Scan gave the P1173 fault and a list of what it could be. Then tje car started to missfire when upto 90 degrees on the gauge so I have attemted to fix it. I changed the temp sensor to find the new one faulty but decided the original was working ok to swapped it back. I have changed the MAF for an Ebay one and I have changed the Lambda sensor for a universal one. I found a crack on the underside of an air intake pipe so I have made a repair to that. The car now runs a lot better but it now brings up the P1173 code and another for the lambda saying it is reading too low. I checked the diagnostic to find it said it was running rich when warm. When it idles and gets upto about 90 degrees on the gauge the engine changes noise a bit then it starts missing. I don't think its the plugs although I havent changed them.

On the subject of changing the lambda sensor, the workshop manual just says to unclip the wire from the intake manifold. This is impossible surely unless the engine is taken out? What a joke! Hence why I cut the old lambda off and connected up the new universal one underneath.

Anyway I have always managed to fix cars but this has me baffled. I started to think tje Ecu might be duff, but I doubt it would be being Bosch even if its 20 years old.

So, I would appreciate any good advice.... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I’ve recently changed the lambdas on both a CF2 and a CF3 Twinnie. On the CF2, the lambda plugs in on the top/rear of the inlet manifold. It is easy to get to leaning over the engine with the bonnet open. The cable threads down behind the engine to the downpipe. The rear lambda on the CF3 is very similar. I’ll try and get a photo later. What year is yours? Sorry I can’t help with CF1s.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks but as I said I have already cut the old lambda off the bottom. Its a year 2000, 1999 build, cf2 I believe. Maybe you can get your arm down the back if you are small and you remove the insulation from the bulkhead, I just managed the top 2 clips and the bottom one. I figured removing the exhaust section and attempting from below would also be impossible. However I have managed to fix the cold start problem now, maybe by repairing the intake pipe split (although that may have happened when I removed it!), and by replacing tje maf and lambda. Next I will try another temp sensor. Fiat Ecu Scan says the fans starts at 99 degrees where as this shows about 93 degrees on the gauge, maybe that is too hot hence the new misfire....

·
Registered
3,298 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This thread is worth a read to tell you what fault codes mean...

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-145-andamp-146/119100-obd-ii-codes.html
Thanks for that. Just to give an update. It had been misfiring when hot, but today it became almost undriveable. I had fixed a new earth wire between the thermostat and the chassis, hoping it would sort the gauge out. I bought some new spark plugs and on removing the old ones I discovered the plug holes for cylinder 1 nearest the cam belt to be half full of dirty water. This was an obvious fault with evidence of arcing all over the plug leads. So I cleaned them all up having soaked out the water with rag, and it now runs like it should, and the engine temp gauge is behaving as it should.

I reckon the faults were a hidden split in the air intake pipe fixing up to the maf, and water in the plug holes.

I did not estimate that there could be such a problem as this water in the plug holes, I have since read elsewhere about this exact problem on the TS engine, there is no clear explanation. It just shows that old fashioned basic servicing procedure still applies even if you don't think the plugs will be at fault.....

So I haven't reconnected the Fiat Ecu Scan yet to check but I am reckoning that changing the maf, lambda, temp sensor and thermostat was a waste of time. The arcing of the plugs was messing up the Ecu's sensor voltage readings is my gut feeling...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts