Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not 100% if I need a new thermostat for my p1 2.0 ts gtv. So I have two questions...

1) Read lots on this and oddly still no nearer to the truth. In a P1 my temp takes around 10 minutes to get to 70c and then in heavy stand still traffic within 5 minutes my temp has gone up to 90c, fans kick in around this temp and then when driving temp goes back down to 70-80'ish. I have not owned a car in a long time where the temp gauge moves so much is this right or do I need a new thermostat? someone must know the truth :lol: unless i know the truth this behaviour freaks me out in traffic :cheese:

2) Are the P1 and P2 2.0 TS thermostats the same? ebay is way confusing.

Thanks people.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The thermostats are different , I have a AR16201 engine so an early thermostat which i fitted this year as i wanted a new one to be absolutely sure. You will see very little difference but there is a change in later ones. Mine does pretty much what yours does, takes a while, sits above the 'mystery mark' and then in traffic will hit over 90 and cool down. This is the behaviour of my new thermostat and i hope this is what should happen. I am surprised that it does take a little while to start register a temp and some people on here may suggest there is a fault.....but a new one doesnt get my engine hot quick
Hope this helps

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy, this is what I kind of thought but there is s much vagueness around the normal running temperature of the TS GTV is was starting to freak me out :). As I say it kind of reminds me of a car of the 80's the way the heat goes up and down. My MG's and Rovers since 1990 to this day have never moved once temperature is reached and takes less than 5 minutes to warm to full temp, only time this differs is when the HG is about to fail :cheese:, not a stab at Alfa but just a case of understanding an Alfa :).

I think my thermostat is ok then based on what you are saying. My worry was that I would change it and still have the same readings, and I dont have more money than sense :lol:. I also wonder how accurate the gauges actually are in the GTV, again they dont seem the most modern of design, espically in the phase 1. Still finding it odd that a modern engine and car temperature gauge gets so much movement.

Is there anything else that would cause engine temperature heat to go up and down apart from the thermostat?

M

·
0 Posts
Hava a look at your thermostat. Two different types were fitted to the CF1 16v engine. One has a T-piece at the bottom and one is an L-piece.

The L-piece was fitted to the earlier CF1 16v and the T-piece to the later engines.

The CF1 16v stat opens at 83ºC and should run at about that temperature. My car runs about 75 to 80 in normal driving and also only takes about 5 minutes to get to that temperature.

M

·
0 Posts
It will get to over 90º and the fans kick in if in jams and stuff. Other than that the temp is stable at about 75 -80ºC.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Jimmy my 97 Spider is just like yours. 70º normal and 90º in traffic, then the [very loud] fan/s come on!

M

·
0 Posts
For some reason the stats seem to eventually run at 70ºC and then they will fail and the car won't even reach 70.

I have looked at these stats and for some reason, even when new they are never fully closed, which is probably why they always seem to run cool and take a while to heat up.

Poor design I say :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for their input into this thread as I'm sure this not only helps me out as it appears every new GTV owner seems to ask this question:). I believe mine is running 100% correctly :thumbs: and I can now put the money to better use like the much needed cambelt change in the new year :cool: thanks again.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I think your thermostat is fine as long as the fan kicks in when it moves up to 90 in traffic and then drops back to 70-80, it is working correctly. I fitted a new one 3 months ago and the new one does exactly as you describe. Save your cash for something else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It sounds like your thermostat is all good Jimmy :)

I think mine maybe shot as the temperature gauge hardly registers :cry:

I don't think its the engine temperature sensor as the fan kicks in fine when it reaches optimum temperature which does take sometime to get too.

Being a new alfa owner it is deceiving, and the blowers only get luke warm, new thermostat I think :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts