Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping someone can help.

Over the weekend I started to give my newly acquired 156 JTS Sele a little service. I changed:

Thermostat (hadn't been getting up to temperature)
Spark Plugs
Air filter
Pollen Filter
Installed cruise control stick.

Didn't have time to do the oil change.

On my way to work this morning i got the dreaded BEEP BEEP BEEP after about 15 minutes of driving...

Anyway. I've read the codes and they are p0420 and p0430. This is strange as these seem to be emissions related but I haven't touched the exhaust or lamba area...

Anyone got any idea where to start. I've read somewhere else that its a case of over-fuelling, but not sure how that could be.

Any advice appreciated.

EDIT - Forgot to mention i broke the clip which attached the air flexi to the ridged plastic inlet tube. Is this of consequence? Seems to fit quite snugly anyway...

Also the wiring on top of the injectors in pretty bad shape...

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Both cats or both lambdas failing at the same time would be unusual. My bet is that you have dislodged an intake pipe or split it moving it, dislodged a connector or damaged a cable to a sensor (engine temp?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah thanks - nice links. all those articles suggest a vac leak as being a likely culprit. As you say both cats dying on me at once would be unlikely/unlucky and as i've been messing about in the engine...

Seen as i removed the stupid clip holing the plastic ridged pipe to the rubber flexi this might be my fault. (i even have the correct pliers but i damaged it getting it off) I'll invest in a jubilee tomorrow!

·
Registered
161 Posts
That pic is of the ignition coils not injectors mate my cables are in a similar state but I'm having no problems currently. It'd show up as a p030# misfire code if it was a problem.
As for the clip, get down halfords or b&q etc and get a jubilee clip as a replacement. Cheap as chips and does exactly the same job. #edit oops just read your last post :)

Also check for splits in the intake hose around the soft flexible collar bit in the middle as this is where they're weakest and known to split. Check all around especially the underside. They cost around £65 to replace but can be temporarily patched up with gaffer tape in the meantime.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That pic is of the ignition coils not injectors mate
I did mean coils. I guess you're right that would have an p03xx code if it were the culprit.

From what i've read its either unmetered air or i've damaged the MAF sensor changing the air filter. I got a Mann filter and TBH it seemed a bit too big. I really had to force the top of the airbox on. I guessed it was meant to be like that to form a seal. Maybe the filter isn't seated, but even so any leak would be pre-MAF so unlikely to be the cause...

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I fitted a new genuine filter to mine last week and it was 10mm or so 'too long' so I guess they're supposed to be. It's a bit of a faff but if the 3 screws drew the lid down nice and firm the filter should be fine.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fitted a new genuine filter to mine last week and it was 10mm or so 'too long' so I guess they're supposed to be. It's a bit of a faff but if the 3 screws drew the lid down nice and firm the filter should be fine.
Yeah the old one i took out was slightly crushed so i'm guessing they're meant to be like that...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello valinco,

can you tell me, what was the solution in your case?

Mine looks like was the overdue change of cylinder oil spray tubes on the underside of the block. If they get clogged and stuck open, the excess oil will burn during combustion, causing these errors. But the change of them only got the problem sorted for about half a year.

Btw, I used self adhesive aluminum tape for better heat protection of the coil pack wiring.
So far so good.

As for air filter I'm using the closed on the underside type (e.g Champion CAF100439C), which is 6 mm shorter, so no forcing into the housing, and also not relying myself onto 3 flimsy plastic flanges to give enough force to be airtight.

Cheers!
/Oo--\°/--oO\

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I can't recall the solution - the post is over 5 years old. Other than I did solve it. I think I used a bottle of Cataclean [cat cleaner product] and then took it for an Italian tune-up. The problem went away without any major cost anyway.

Sadly, not long after this post, my wife took the car for a drive down a river and the car ended up as a right off. Later it was bought by someone from Copart, who pulled all the water out of the engine and put it back on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, that's a real Alfa-story (speaking of continous rebirth). :)
Anyway, thank you for your answer.

Cheers!
/Oo--\°/--oO\

Sorry, I can't recall the solution - the post is over 5 years old. Other than I did solve it. I think I used a bottle of Cataclean [cat cleaner product] and then took it for an Italian tune-up. The problem went away without any major cost anyway.

Sadly, not long after this post, my wife took the car for a drive down a river and the car ended up as a right off. Later it was bought by someone from Copart, who pulled all the water out of the engine and put it back on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts