Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Basically I've had the P0401 engine management light on for a while now, no adverse effects. However I also have the 'change oil' light on now.

I have limited funds atm, but was thinking a possible remap + DPF removal + EGR blanked could possibly solve the P0401 error message.

However regarding the oil situation, the car is over-due a service at 16 months, and so would like to do a full service / major service, but don't think it would fix or solve the more pressing issue of the engine management light issue.

I have a list of things that need doing on the car now, but do not have the money to do them all so am trying to prioritise.

I.e
Brake Pads (Very low)
Glow Plugs (Beru)
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Oil & Filter
P0401 Error
Wheel Tracking (15 degrees off on steering wheel, rubbing left tyre).
Power Steering Reservoir replace, flush fluid and replace.

Trying to figure out what to do first, whats most cost-effective, and what's most critical.

Cheers.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's at the point where if I put the pedal to the floor I get a horrible grating sound, as if its metal on metal, not all the time mind, but if its not a gradual slow to a stop I do.

Its annoying when you're strapped for cash, you want to do something cosmetic atleast as otherwise the money you've spent isn't visible, however without a solid foundation, all the external stuff is wasted money if your car ends up on the scrap heap for neglecting the fundamentals.

Its annoying doubly because the servicing packages places like Halfords offer, the full and major servicing offers fluid changes et all, but I obviously want the best stuff putting in, not some generic halfords 'premium' brand, and if they are going to replace glow plugs, might as well be Beru. Shame they don't fix the tracking aswell instead of just wheel balancing (certain not the same thing), otherwise I'd be more inclined to just do a service as I'm sure it include brake pad replacements.

Cheers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Do NOT underestimate the oilchange..& honestly, if you have driven something like 20.000 Miles (30.000 Km) on the oil, you are really really bad to your diesel-engine...It should be half of that if you want any decent miles out it, the lubrication is really bad after so many miles & takes it turn on all components in the engine & turbo as well...Just my word of advice & well meant offcourse :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah appreciated. I've topped the oil up before, I've only done 8,000 miles since purchase, I think the change oil is something which wasnt removed at the last service. But needless to say, the oil no longer looks like oil, more like tar :paperbag:

S

·
0 Posts
I had P401 come up periodically throughout the summer last year but only when the outside temperature was over 14 degrees. No adverse affect whatsoever and the light goes back off itself in October. I called it my summer light as against engine light in the end.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Oil in dieselengines get black instantly, so no indication from there...Perhaps luckily ;-) those 30.000 Km/20.000 Miles (or whatever miles close to that in Uk :) ) Has really killed a lot of otherwise good engines...Alfa dont care, because 99.99% of the time they last as long as the warranty goes for, but after that you start to see the difference & as 2.+ owner, its you that gets the bill when especially the turbo fails du to it beeing very sensible to lubrication. Well enough warnings, i would myself put oilchange in front on your wishlist, although no engine makes the remaining wishes a bit redunandant :thumbup:

Airfolter i would take a look at & perhaps give a good blow with compressor if your REALLY low on money...It wont kill you or engine no matter how dirty ;-) & then brakes/tracking, hence it will cost you a lot in tirereplacment if you dont do anything soon there :-(

Good luck :)

Yeah appreciated. I've topped the oil up before, I've only done 8,000 miles since purchase, I think the change oil is something which wasnt removed at the last service. But needless to say, the oil no longer looks like oil, more like tar :paperbag:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
A halfrouds service will not include brake pad or glow plug replacement.
If the brakes are as bad as you say then you really shouldnt be driving it or thinking about a remap etc untill it is in a road worthy condition. Any local garage will be able to fit a set of pads, parts will be about £30 plus maybe an hour labour but as you have let them wear down so far you might also now need a set of discs, another £70.
Whilst its there they could do an oil and filter change if you cant stretch to a proper service I wouldnt worry about buying a premium oil, anything will be better than whats in there at the moment.

Is the egr fault because its had a blanking plate fitted or is the egr valve gummed up with soot.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Jon,

Yeah I've decided on the Major service at Halfords + buying my own glow plugs, power steering reservoir, pollen filter, I'll try and stretch to the pads aswell, on Euro car parts front and back seem to be around £70.

Regarding the EGR, I actually took it out, cleaned the MAF / MAP sensor aswell, no gunk or soot in it, but the metal valve 'rod' couldn't be pushed in or out, I'm assuming this need voltage through it anyhow, there was no plate over it either, just the standard metal washer type plate with a hole in the middle allowing full flow through it. Also you tell someone else has had the EGR off before as the threads on 2 of the 4 nuts is worn to the point where the won't even screw in, so only 2 hold it in place.

The error began around December, very cold mornings, cold starts, short journeys. I've wiped the ECU a few times, start the engine, massive rev to redline, then idle. After about 30 mins, comes back on again. No adverse affects to speak of.

Occasionally I get black smoke out the back on some starts, but not thick plumes, just 'smoke' you notice out the rear view mirror and a distinct smell of diesel.

But like I said the car runs no different now than it did back in September last year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts