Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

P0352- Coil 2 no signal P1151-Lamda 2 Signal upstream(plausibility)
I have been slowly going through the motions of finding a solution for my 2004 156 2.0 JTS, I have owned a couple of the earlier TS alfas so am familiar with chasing faults around them.
I bought the car it had not been used for two years as the Accumulator had failed an the previous owner got a work car.
I purchased and installed a new battery as the old one was knackered, New coil on cylinder 2 just to count that out the fault did not move cylinders with the coil if I swapped it but just replaced anyway.
New Battery,New Coil,New spark plugs, I have cleaned connectors to ECU and at the back of the engine. Cleaned Lambda connectors. Reset and done recalibration. I have also replaced the thermostat as it was stuck open so the car had been running cold for I don't know how long with the previous owner.

The P0352- coil 2 code comes up almost straight away after starting just above idle if I pull the coil while idling it drops as much as the other cylinders when I do it to them.,
P1151 code comes up after driving for a bit so Im assuming there is a misfire and triggers that.

Has anyone had similar and it turned out to be the injector? I have searched through the posts and it seems to be pointing in this direction as my only avenue left or can the Lambda 2 sensor somehow create conditions for a misfire, Im picturing the other way around misfire creating the lambda 2 fault.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All

P0352- Coil 2 no signal P1151-Lamda 2 Signal upstream(plausibility)
I have been slowly going through the motions of finding a solution for my 2004 156 2.0 JTS, I have owned a couple of the earlier TS alfas so am familiar with chasing faults around them.
I bought the car it had not been used for two years as the Accumulator had failed an the previous owner got a work car.
I purchased and installed a new battery as the old one was knackered, New coil on cylinder 2 just to count that out the fault did not move cylinders with the coil if I swapped it but just replaced anyway.
New Battery,New Coil,New spark plugs, I have cleaned connectors to ECU and at the back of the engine. Cleaned Lambda connectors. Reset and done recalibration. I have also replaced the thermostat as it was stuck open so the car had been running cold for I don't know how long with the previous owner.

The P0352- coil 2 code comes up almost straight away after starting just above idle if I pull the coil while idling it drops as much as the other cylinders when I do it to them.,
P1151 code comes up after driving for a bit so Im assuming there is a misfire and triggers that.

Has anyone had similar and it turned out to be the injector? I have searched through the posts and it seems to be pointing in this direction as my only avenue left or can the Lambda 2 sensor somehow create conditions for a misfire, Im picturing the other way around misfire creating the lambda 2 fault.

Cheers

Andrew
Well today it gets stranger,
I decided to check the new coil by moving it and the fault P0352 followed it so I assumed maybe something wrong with the new coil so I replaced with another new coil the fault still follows this new coil so either the workshop I got them from have a bad batch or slightly wrong ones Ill find out tomorrow when they open.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Seems like an iffy coil.
I had a coil fault on MES and intermittent misfire (cold start and just after coming off the motorway).

All I did was fit new plugs. The old plugs were in poor shape and the gap was large. I figured it was just asking too much from a coil.
That was 8k ago and the fault has never returned.

My thoughts are that JTS plugs should be changed at 48k. Yes, I use the proper NGK platinum twin earth electrode ones.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think it might be worth cleaning the coil’s earth(s?), it sounds weird enough to be an earthing problem.

(It sounds vaguely similar to the V6 coil burning problem: despite three coils sharing an earth bolt it was nearly always the same one that burnt, and cleaning that earth connection fixed it. I think the different wire lengths to the bolt had a ‘tuning’ effect on the high frequencies generated when the coils fired. In this case the new coils might be susceptible enough to show the problem on any cylinder, while the old coils, from another batch, were less susceptible and only showed the problem on the most affected cylinder…. Maybe.)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Interesting.
Perhaps in the future I'll try to get new terminals for the multi plugs. That would be the opportunity to renew the wiring as necessary and fit shielded sheaths.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Interesting.
Perhaps in the future I'll try to get new terminals for the multi plugs. That would be the opportunity to renew the wiring as necessary and fit shielded sheaths.
Alfa found a set-up that works, I’d be cautious of altering it, electro-magnetic compatibility is known in the industry as a dark art that few claim to understand and fewer still do. If it ain’t broke - and all that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well just got it back from the workshop I got the coils from, FAULTY NEW aftermarket COILS so new Bosch ones now fitted. They swapped ECU's everything to come back to the coils so all good. thanks everyone for input and just hope the cat lights don't come on again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts