Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted the P-Tronic tuning box from the following site:

P-Tronic additional box-units :: power kit ::engine chips :: diesel chips :: power box-units :: diesel tuning :: power box-unit :: chiptuning :: increase engine power :: diesel booster :: TDI tuning :: additional box-unit (NEW)

Increases the 1.9 jtdm bhp from 150bhp to 194 bhp.

I feel the 1.9 jtdm engine a bit sluggish and am getting around 40MPG which isn't great. :(

Any one know any Pros and Cons of fitting such a unit?

I read an interesing article on one of the BMW forums bleow:

BMW 1 Series • View topic - Tuning Box review: SPIDER vs P-Tronic

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
Get a proper remap at red dot racing.

It will be cheaper and safer for your engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't, i'm in ireland :<

What is the disadvantage of this unit in relation to reliability of the jtdm engine?

New to all this stuff so forgive my stupidity

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
I am not an expert on this sort of thing, especially on the Diesels, but ebay tuning boxes are usually frowned upon.

There must be someone in Ireland that remaps diesels.

U

·
0 Posts
P-Tronic and Spider tuning boxes both do pretty much what it says on the tin.
That BMW review wasn't quite accurate - the Spider has variable power increase using a series of jumper plugs under the screw-on end cover, and the quoted power output is at the default centre position, giving you three possible power increases for experimentation.

Quite possibly the full re-map is better but the boxes are easily removed at service time for cars still under warranty.

What I have seen no data for, for either remaps or boxes, is the effect on emissions when it comes to MoT time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking more into these tuning boxes and came across the following site:

Alfa Romeo Power Upgrades - Auto Lusso - Tuning - Steinbauer P-Box for Alfa Romeo Diesels

Auto Lusso are doing a STEINBAUER P-Box UK Exclusive for Alfa Romeo.

It comes with a 3 year warranty and warranty on the engine as well, Quote form site below

"The STEINBAUER Tuning Technologies Austria GmbH issues a warranty for damage on engine, gearbox and transmission according to the warranty confirmation."

Are Auto Lusso a genuine Alfa Romeo specilaist and has anyone tried this solution, seems to be genuine and with a warranty on engine to boot! :cool:

Give me you thoughts...............

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was looking more into these tuning boxes and came across the following site:

Alfa Romeo Power Upgrades - Auto Lusso - Tuning - Steinbauer P-Box for Alfa Romeo Diesels

Auto Lusso are doing a STEINBAUER P-Box UK Exclusive for Alfa Romeo.

It comes with a 3 year warranty and warranty on the engine as well, Quote form site below

"The STEINBAUER Tuning Technologies Austria GmbH issues a warranty for damage on engine, gearbox and transmission according to the warranty confirmation."

Are Auto Lusso a genuine Alfa Romeo specilaist and has anyone tried this solution, seems to be genuine and with a warranty on engine to boot! :cool:

Give me you thoughts...............
they claim to be exclusive for the p box - however do a search for rossiters - they are THE approved uk dealer.... i've got one but not fitted it yet - the warranty and ability to remove won me over.

not as easy a fit as the others as it needs a live feed from the throttle pedal - hence not got around to fitting it yet

·
Registered
38,245 Posts
You will need to tell your insurance company about this and they will hike your premium.

With a remap you should also, but many people don't bother because of the difficulty in detecting the remap.

·
0 Posts
I personally would never fit one of these 'magic' boxes - alleged warranty or not

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally would never fit one of these 'magic' boxes - alleged warranty or not
What I like about these rather than a remap is the ability to remove the box whenever I feel like it, servicing, MOT for emmisions etc. Also it doesn't write anything to the ecu so it can't invalidate warranty etc.

This particular box doesn't alter the boost pressure and only adjusts the combustion timing as far as I know.

A magic box it's hardly..... but just wondering why you would never fit one of these? Is there any overwhelming reason why people are against these :confused:

Thanks for everyones reponse

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What I like about these rather than a remap is the ability to remove the box whenever I feel like it, servicing, MOT for emmisions etc. Also it doesn't write anything to the ecu so it can't invalidate warranty etc.

This particular box doesn't alter the boost pressure and only adjusts the combustion timing as far as I know.

A magic box it's hardly..... but just wondering why you would never fit one of these? Is there any overwhelming reason why people are against these :confused:

Thanks for everyones reponse
the problem is that the cheap ones (and i imagine the less reputable expensive ones) use upped fuel pressure to give the extra ummph - not the best way of getting power or longevity - basically a £5 trick to confuse the ecu!

the other problem is that remap tuners make it all sound so bespoke and complex... i've remapped loads of cars with generic maps (ok in the old days of eproms anyhow) with no i'll effect except clutches etc ;-)

diesels are pretty smple things really given the nature of the fuel - re timing the injection cycle for performance opposed to longevity, emissions and mpg is relatively straight forward

I've had one fitted to a previous car and loads of people i know have also had one fitted with good gains

sure a rolling road live remap is going to be better but the main point is that its a pain to remove! horses for courses IMO

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steinbauer Tuning Box

the problem is that the cheap ones (and i imagine the less reputable expensive ones) use upped fuel pressure to give the extra ummph - not the best way of getting power or longevity - basically a £5 trick to confuse the ecu!

the other problem is that remap tuners make it all sound so bespoke and complex... i've remapped loads of cars with generic maps (ok in the old days of eproms anyhow) with no i'll effect except clutches etc ;-)

diesels are pretty smple things really given the nature of the fuel - re timing the injection cycle for performance opposed to longevity, emissions and mpg is relatively straight forward

I've had one fitted to a previous car and loads of people i know have also had one fitted with good gains

sure a rolling road live remap is going to be better but the main point is that its a pain to remove! horses for courses IMO

Thanks for that marcevo1 :thumbs:

I think i'll go for the steinbauer box and see what sort of performance i get, can always ebay it if i'm not happy.

Not going to get this just yet but will let people know the outcome when i do purchase it.

Thanks for all the replies :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
tuning box

Thanks for that marcevo1 :thumbs:

I think i'll go for the steinbauer box and see what sort of performance i get, can always ebay it if i'm not happy.

Not going to get this just yet but will let people know the outcome when i do purchase it.

Thanks for all the replies :D
Did you ever go for this? And if so, what was the result?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts