Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Really interested in purchasing a Giulietta and would like to know more about your experience with the general reliability and running costs of owning this beauty. I will be covering roughly 20k miles a year ( for a year or two) and thus will require about 1 full service a year, what the average service costs you pay and are parts expensive as some suggest? Also, would you say road noise/refinement is good for the 2014 model onwards?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi All,

Really interested in purchasing a Giulietta and would like to know more about your experience with the general reliability and running costs of owning this beauty. I will be covering roughly 20k miles a year ( for a year or two) and thus will require about 1 full service a year, what the average service costs you pay and are parts expensive as some suggest? Also, would you say road noise/refinement is good for the 2014 model onwards?

Thanks in advance
How many miles has it covered already?
Services are not more or less expensive than what you would expect.
The timing belt and water pump will most likely need attention unless you're lucky enough the owner has just carried out this work(varies from £300-£400) to then sell the car on...unlilkely btw!

At idle it's a bit noisier than comparable diesels but at anything over 30mph it's fine. Road noise is really dependant on what tyres/wheel size you have. The G, by all accounts is quite sensitive to these options.

Lovely cruiser. Good on diesel though if you thrash it it will drink. On that note, it need a thrashing on occasion. It pulls like a train and handles like one too, that is to say it corners like it's on rails.

Finally, it's really rather beautiful.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It's 2014 with 32k miles on the clock and the sportive model which has the 18' alloys, your thoughts? And do you think if this car was serviced well it could run 100K+ mileage?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It's 2014 with 32k miles on the clock and the sportive model which has the 18' alloys, your thoughts? And do you think if this car was serviced well it could run 100K+ mileage?
My Giu from 2011. has about 132 000 miles and still drives without problems, so if serviced properly and driven occasionally at the highway (to clean dpf) it should run without any problems.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's fine. Almost the same as mine. 1.6 Sportiva 2014 with 37k when I bought her. Serviced correctly and looked after with tlc It'll run for well over 100k.
The 2.0 is very torquey so you'll maybe need a clutch at 90k or so. This really depends on how you drive it....if you pull anything heavy etci
Or if you get a remap which increases the torque even more and you'll get addicted. Then you'll need a new clutch by 75k lololol

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can confirm that the G is sensitive to tyre choice for road noise. I have Falken winter tyres on now (don't like them very much) and compared to the Dunlops that were on before (worn out though) it's night and day when it comes to road noise. With the Dunlops it was quiet most of the time (we have very coarse asphalt in Sweden) compared to the Falkens. Still not that bad on most roads.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi I have a 2014 Sportiva Nav 2.0JTDm2 bought in August for £10999 with 55k on the clock.

So far the ownership has been brilliant, very good looking car but no VAG inside unfortunately.

A lot of squeaks around the centre console and general dash area, I have not located them but will tackle them later on.

Handbrake is in a strange position, when the arm rest is down you need to be double jointed to release it!

Infotainment system is pants, very hit and miss, ie blank screen sometime media does not play. Overall I would say it's OK.

The seats and finish though is beautiful inside, I have the darken windows and head liner, it feels very nice inside.

Gearbox can be a bit hard into 1st when cold, other than that steering, breaks, suspension etc spot on. Brilliant car to have a blast in ?

MPG around 55.

Only had a oil sensor go. £5 fix.

Start stop is none existent, does not work!

Overall, typical Alfa. Not some run off the mill Astra ?

·
Registered
36,013 Posts
"Start stop is none existent, does not work!"
Battery is not sufficiently charged. Old or not used enough.

"lot of squeaks around the centre console and general dash area, I have not located them but will tackle them later on."

I sold my first at over 60000 miles; no creaks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2014 Skoda worked from the first mile so does my ford. I would say Alfas is none existent. The battery is 2 years old and to spec.

·
Registered
36,013 Posts
Perhaps somebody has disconnected it. I'm on my second Giulietta and it's worked on both, unless I switch off the S/S on the fascia on my current 2017 model. On the later models it stays off on re-starting. I've been using my wife's Kuga a bit recently and the battery discharges below 70% over a three day period , which disables the S/S. No great loss.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just shows you no two cars are the same ? my 2014 is immaculate, looks brand new. However there is 100% dash squeaks and SS is definitely an issue on these cars. I don't use it but it's connected and the battery is good.

Google Gulietta start stop and is deffo an issue.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The sensor which senses neutral position moves. I believe it's been covered in a previous thread.
In that way....very typically Alfa!
My SS worked for a while then stopped working. Batt was fine. On the occasions the car stalled the system by which I depress the clutch and the car starts again worked just fine. I'm fairly certain the two systems will be closely related so it's feasible to assume that there's a break in communication somewhere.
Although, I guess that a less than 'very good' battery would also mess things up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can I add that the squeaks and rattles on mine were minimal.

The handbrake thing....yes!

The ss not working is fine by me ad I hate it. I do a lot of town driving and my god it's a pain. I turn it off in my wife's Volvo all the time. It's unbearable.....

I had a plain old CD player with Bluetooth and a USB socket. I was spared the Blue and Me woes I've read about

1 - 13 of 13 Posts