Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam already an owner of 156 2003 and my ex was 147 and ,, iam thinking nowdays in getting alfetta 79,mint condition,1.6 inj. A.C , fully restored
what do you think about alfetta sedan?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
Rare sight these days so if the price is right......

Had a 2 Litre Gold Cloverleaf some time back and I enjoyed owning it. Performance was adequate rather than startling but it ticked most of the boxes for me. Of course the RWD Transaxle set up made it fun to drive too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own an 156 selespeed from 2001 and a 79 Alfetta. Love the Alfetta, indeed a rare sight These days which makes ist all the more Fun. Fry to get a 1.8 and make sure you are well informed beforehand. I had Trouble with the "donuts" which i probably could have prevented. Still , since then it hasn't disappointed me!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Did AR make 1,6 116s with Injection, I didn't know.
With out dought, it will be a nice cruiser and prevent too many penalties in your license.
For transaxle fun and easy of setting the engine up I would go for a 75 TS, 148 HP with out cat. It,s as fast as your 156 JTS (when all power is there).
I have fund memmories of my 75 2,0L and Giulietta 2,0 2,0L. But as reliable as my 156 was they wasn't but they never let me down. Then I used my cars as part of my job, and both always brought me back for dinner :)
Erik

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i had an alfetta 2.0 bell and colville turbo way way back in black with alloys, beige velour interior etc etc
Loved it and would buy another alfetta saloon without hesitation
The 1.8 was the best normally aspirated and produced more power than the 2.0 for some reason
i think if i remember rightly it was 1.6=112bhp 2.0=130 bhp and the 1.8=135bhp the 1.8 had an almost "square block" and revved better
The first alfettas which were the 1.8 (1779cc) was a lovely looking car

Go for it

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The 1,8 Alfetta engine never produced 135 HP, from the outset in 1972 it produced 122 HP. The 1,6 had 109 HP.
Internal dimensions of the 1779 was bore 80 mm, stroke 88,5 mm, the 1962 was bore 84 mm and stroke 88.5 mm
The 75 was offered with a 1779 cc Turbo engine with first 155 HP and later 165 HP in standard form, but many had the turbo presure increased for more power.
Erik

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ill check again the figures which were from the haynes manual for the alfetta which included the gt which may be where the 135bhp figure came from

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
ill check again the figures which were from the haynes manual for the alfetta which included the gt which may be where the 135bhp figure came from
I remember from way back when I had my Giulietta 116 and 75 I checked something in the Heynes manual. It's correct that it state 135 HP, they are SEA ponies afaIr.
You can check power output and other usefull information on new and old Italian cars here The Alfa Romeo pages @ C a r s f r o m I t a l y

Erik

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
SEA ponies afaIr.??
what does this mean

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
SEA is wrong, ment SAE = Society of American Engeniers (sets rules for calculating horsepower in U.S. motor industry)*)
ponies = small horses
afaIr = as far as I remember
*) Normaly a figure 15% higher than BHP (net) and PS DIN (horse powers calculated in accordance with German Industri Norms).
Erik

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
SAE is usually measured without any of the ancillaries attached, so you tend to see higher power figures than BHP/DIN or PS. In the UK they used to measure power in SAE until the mid seventies when they standardised it on the DIN figures. That would explain the confusion between the 1.8's figures and 2.0.

·
Banned
530 Posts
Fetta your right about these figures ,Erik sorry but the figures your are coming out with are the very first alfetta's, I think fetta is talking about the 116 series guiletta's and alfetta's era of early 80's,I had a 83 model guiletta 1.8 the one to have and it was fantastic,I knew a guy with the 2.0 version and he wanted to swop me,I said no chance!,my car some much more responsive and quicker.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I must admit it was always a given in early alfa circles the 1.8 was the sweetest of the twin cam four whether called the 1750 /1800 as in fact it was 1779cc. Probably the reason they turboed the 1.8 75 although I'm just guessing at the last bit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts