Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 156 that I lent to a friend who was having problems with his skoda VRS, well the car had been fine since I had it, but the other day it overheated on him, i went there and topped up the water system, it seems all ok, drove fine for a few days, in and out of London traffic, then he was coming over last night and it overheated again.

I've topped it up again, can't see any obvious leaks which is worrying, hoping its not a head gasket, so the question is are there any common places to lose water and if so where are they?

Paul

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
It does sound like head gasket, but check for visible leaks - and any sign of the water getting into the oil ('mayo' in the filler cap).

A compression test would be the next step, I think...

It could also be a holed radiator, and/or the cooling fan not kicking in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2 litre, i've check for water in the oil and that seems fine, but then I know that when a gasket blows it doesn't always go between the water and oilways, sometimes can blow between a waterway and the cylinder. I drove the car last night and its seems to be getting hot quickly, but then if you rev it the temps come back down again.

Cooling fan is working fine, there are no obvious signs of it leaking out.

Paul

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well today I found the cap had some mayo in it after the last overheat, I've removed the head today, no obviously holes in the gasket but will get the head skimmed this week, then put it all back together. The belts were only changed about 6 months ago, wondering if it's really worth fitting new ones but might do seeing they not exactly expensive. Will buy a waterpump and change that seeing as everything is off. Will probably give the head a good clean up, is there much to gain from gentle flowing of the TS engine?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
how old is the rad?

they seem to readily corrode, especially where it's hard to see, behing the fan and at the bottom.

Knackered rad + hot weather + stuck in traffic + aircon on = Overheating

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Well today I found the cap had some mayo in it after the last overheat, I've removed the head today, no obviously holes in the gasket but will get the head skimmed this week, then put it all back together. The belts were only changed about 6 months ago, wondering if it's really worth fitting new ones but might do seeing they not exactly expensive. Will buy a waterpump and change that seeing as everything is off. Will probably give the head a good clean up, is there much to gain from gentle flowing of the TS engine?

Replace all the belts ... even if you don't do the tensioners ... even after 6 months they will have stretched a little.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rad has a small amount of corrosion, but tbh after seeing the water and oil had mixed it seems the gasket was gone. I might consider a new rad as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had the head skimmed today, you could see a low point where it had blown the gasket and pressured the water system. Got all the parts through from EB Spares, only ordered yesterday and they arrived lunch time today.

Better get busy later and try and get it all back together, looking at a pile of parts thinking what have I done lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the head gasket was sorted, but still was getting a little hot, not too bad but enough to want if sorted, so got another rad, its running much cooler now, probably the cause of the head gasket blowing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts