Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Please can someone help? I was out in my 156 jtd m jet 150 yesterday, the warm air was freezing and the car nearly overheated, i popped open the bonnet and the water bottle was full to the brim but black water not the usual. the fans are working fine got a feeling it's the head gasket or radiator can anyone please shed some light, Thanks Wayne.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would go with head gasget, sounds like you've got exhaust gas pressurising the coolant system.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Black water, or oil?

There is the exhaust/coolant heat exchanger, but I'm not sure which has the higher pressure at that point.

However, lack of a heater combined with overheating engine usually points to the waterpump...

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Agreed with DC. The jtd really doesn't suffer with headgasket issus but does suffer with wp issus where they sieze. It is recomended to change the wp and timing belt every 4 years or 50 k. First you need to check the belts as if the pump is siezed it'll flip the timing belt off. Then if its still running ok get it to a garage so they can confirm wp failure or hg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, to be honest thinking back yesterday it was stood idling for five or so minutes and a noise like a fan belt slipping was coming from around the timing belt area,

If the water pump has gone am i right in saying that the timing belt needs doing again? as this was done 20,000 miles ago around 2 years.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Thanks guys, to be honest thinking back yesterday it was stood idling for five or so minutes and a noise like a fan belt slipping was coming from around the timing belt area,

If the water pump has gone am i right in saying that the timing belt needs doing again? as this was done 20,000 miles ago around 2 years.
Yes and get it done NOW before the pump seizes and snaps the cambelt.
(very common on the 16v/20v JTD. Very bad that whoever did the cambelt didn't fit a new waterpump...)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
What dc says. Don't drive it if you can as it's on its last legs. If you are Going to take it to a garage then try and get them to recover it. You don't want an engine rebuild on your hands if it breaks on the way there :(

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
I would not be starting that engine until after its fitted with a new timing belt and waterpump. Get it recovered, put a big sign in the screen saying "DO NOT START".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice everyone, just towed my baby to the garage this evening, i'll await the good news tomorrow!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great advice all, got my baby back £340.00 later now running sweet as.
As everyone said it turned out to be the water pump which had seized and was very lucky it didn't tear off the timing belt off so thanks for the advice of towing it to the garage as i would have probably limped it there which could have been a disaster!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts