Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Overblown automotive marketing

651 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Toronto Spider 
#1 ·
:cheese:

A fashion website has photos of Jude Law doing a promo for Lexus.

But it's the description of the event that has practically brought me to tears. It's just too, too much, and much too much precious!

Tom & Lorenzo citing Lexus said:
“The 14-scene odyssey, held at London’s Tom Dixon-designed Mondrian hotel and a secret underground bank vault, allowed 100 guests to take centre-stage in the performance and become the star of their very own personalised show. These unwitting participants were catapulted into a live theatrical manifestation of ‘The Life RX’ – a multi-sensorial world of luxury, excitement and thrills, as depicted in the latest TV advert for the new 2016 Lexus RX, which also stars Jude Law.

Each room brought with it new scenarios and unexpected experiences that required guests to improvise in their new persona as an international movie star, whilst the rest of the cast had been fully prepped to work around their specific personalities. The ultimate bespoke performance.

The guests’ new role then took a dramatic turn as award-winning stage and screen legend – and immersive theatre fan – Jude Lawsurprised them by sharing their ‘red-carpet scene’ finale to the production.

Designed to celebrate the luxury credentials of the new Lexus RX, each carefully crafted scene was inspired by elements of the sharply styled best selling SUV and the extraordinary lifestyle depicted in its TV advert. This creative premise propelled the guests into a multitude of ‘film star’ scenarios, each designed to stimulate the senses in ever more sophisticated ways.”
Even Law looks like he can barely contain his contempt. You can see the brain behind the plastered on smile saying, "just keep counting the moneytrucks as they back up to the house."

#2 ·
"These unwitting participants were catapulted into a live theatrical manifestation of ‘The Life RX’ – a multi-sensorial world of luxury, excitement and thrills,..."

Good Lord.

While I have no axe to grind with Lexus, it must hope its target RX customers have a fairly shakey grip on reality if it thinks they'll fall for that. If Lexus - or anyone else - 'catapulted' me 'unwittingly' into a toe-curling 'theatrical manifestation' of excruciating naffness to flog a dolled-up 4x4, I'd be tempted to catapult in their direction the bit that's attached to my arm. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Toronto Spider
#3 ·
I love the description of the Hmi interface in the Car Magazine long term test;
"Thank heavens then for the ‘Remote Touch’ touchpad controller, which sits there taunting you, daring you to attempt a simple function like changing radio stations, without accidentally calling the cops or setting a course for the post office in Guatemala City. I accept that I may get used to it, but right now the thing feels horribly misjudged. It’s like trying to diffuse a bomb while driving. Even brain surgeons may "

#5 ·
Okay today's example isn't as bad overall, but it still has that whiff of desperation coming off over-bloated corpse.

GM press release said:
DETROIT – Fans of classic horror movies have all experienced that moment where the music takes an ominous turn and the unsuspecting character is on the verge of opening a door where danger awaits. Imagine however, if for once, that character could heed the warnings of theatergoers and avoid the inevitable threat.

Inspired by those very scenes, Chevrolet is drawing attention to the wide array of available active safety technologies in its all-new 2016 Malibu and Cruze in a trailer that is playing in theaters nationwide.

“We continue to look for unexpected, attention grabbing ways to tell our story,” said Paul Edwards, U.S. vice president of Chevrolet Marketing. “With this trailer, we have thrown a twist into that quintessential, edge of your seat horror movie moment to highlight the comprehensive suite of available active safety technologies in our new Malibu and Cruze.”

The 60-second trailer was directed by acclaimed, Michigan-born filmmaker, Sam Raimi. Raimi’s film career was established with the supernatural cult horror film series Evil Dead making him the ideal choice to direct this piece of creative for Chevrolet.

“We approached the development of the Chevrolet trailer in the same way we would an actual movie – by thinking through the plot, characters and eventual outcome,” said Raimi.

Raimi employs several cinematic techniques to immerse the audience in the scene. From the music and lighting typical of a horror movie, to shifting emphasis of the theater surround sound to the rear to draw attention to the warning voices. And finally by breaking the fourth wall when the protagonist heeds the warnings from members of the audience and walks away safe from danger.

“I’ve been in plenty of theatres where the audience is so concerned for the safety of the main characters that they call out warnings to save them. That’s what this is based on”, added Raimi.

Chevrolet expects to reach nearly 2300 theatres and 14,000 screens nationwide during the six-month run of the trailer – this offers the brand the opportunity to reach a broader audience during the launch of the Malibu and the Cruze than a single ad during a major sporting event.

The all-new Chevrolet Malibu and Cruze offer active safety technologies including:

Front Pedestrian Alert that uses a forward-looking camera to help avoid or reduce the harm caused by crashes with pedestrians ahead of the vehicle. The system can apply automatic last-second braking
Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
Side Blind Zone Alert with Lane Change Alert
New Forward Collision Alert with Following Distance Indicator
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Front and Rear Park Assist
Intellibeam, which automatically switches the headlamps to high beam for better road illumination and improved visibility
Adaptive Cruise Control with Front Automatic Braking
Automatic Parking Assist
For anybody who wants to watch the trailer, here's the link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.