Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice.
Actually, every time after i wash the car, i open the 2 front doors and give them a hard push, almost closing them. this takes off lots of water from the mirror. this helps me get the from doors dry after the wash, but maybe also keeps the sensor dry.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I use the corner of the washleather/drying cloth to soak the water out from under the mirror glass after washing the car**. Glad I do after reading this thread as, touch wood, I have had no problems with the external temperature.

** Not as difficult as it sounds as, if the bulk of the cloth is kept below the mirror, then capillary action wicks it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine went bad and I dont think its to do with water. The Thermister is totally sealed and no corrosion on any of the wiring harness.

Still good practice though 😄

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its hotter than the Italian Riviera in Gloucestershire at the moment so I'm missing the climate control - its clearly not working...even in the cool of the evening the fans carry on blowing faster than a..(insert your own non-PC punchline here) so I'm encouraged by your positive replies to have a go at repairing it myself. Thanks for the help and advice guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Its hotter than the Italian Riviera in Gloucestershire at the moment so I'm missing the climate control - its clearly not working...even in the cool of the evening the fans carry on blowing faster than a..(insert your own non-PC punchline here) so I'm encouraged by your positive replies to have a go at repairing it myself. Thanks for the help and advice guys, I'll let you know how I get on.
If the fans are blowing flat out and the external temperature reading is higher than it should be that would seem to indicate that the system is trying to cool the air without success. So it would be logical to assume there is a second problem. While I did not have the external temperature problem I did have the problem of the fans blowing non cooled air. Hopefully this has now been solved by replacing the condenser (radiator like element just behind the grille) which was found to have a leak so that the system was not holding gas.

Apparently Cue2 has a condenser new and still boxed for disposal see post #20 here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1182645-new-giuliette-some-issues.html should you find you need one.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
My other issue turned out not to be the condenser but a faulty pressure sensor, after replacing that i had air-con again!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fixed mine. Was was reading about 60C all the time. Chopped off the sensor, clipped on a 10k resisor and got 25C on the display. So soldered in a new NTC thermistor, (ebay "10K OHM 103 5% 3950 NTC NTC-MF52AT Thermistor Thermal Resistor 5% MF52" at £2.85 for ten delivered...), heatshrinked to seal up, and sealed up some more and stuck in to the back of the mirror housing with tempflex (silicon sealant).

So far so good (reading 11°C right now, thermometer says 10...)

Now, just need a new mirror glass. Followed all advice I could find to remove mirror (suction cup, attempt to unclip plastic clips behind with long tools...) had a smashing time. That glass is thin!

dom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes been absolutely fine
Cheers Zoo, Fiat sensor now purchased. It looks as though it has the plug for the door connection. I might even try and replace the whole wiring thing if I can get the door card off without damaging it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cheers Zoo, Fiat sensor now purchased. It looks as though it has the plug for the door connection. I might even try and replace the whole wiring thing if I can get the door card off without damaging it.
Did what Zoo did and cut the sensor connecion wires I needed, twisted together* soldered, shrink wrap....job done
*When i opened the door to check temp it was reading 25 but you need to put key in ignition and turn to accessaries to check that all is okay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I followed Zoo's advice - bought the Fiat sensor off EBay, cut the end off and reattached it using a connector block which I then sealed in tape. I was surprised I could only get the part direct from Italy, which added quite a bit in postage.
Had more luck than Domble and manged to get the mirror out in one piece....but it wasn't easy. Best advice I can offer is use a small pick-slash hook (like these US PRO Tools 4pc Short Small Mini Pick & Hook Set NEW 5034 ) to work the clips free but it was done working 'blind', with just a picture of the back of the glass to guide me. Once a couple of the clips are free, it popped out.
You may be able to see the position of the clips from the attached photo. What you'll also see is the standing water in the bottom of the mirror housing!

P1000778.JPG

Pleased to say, three weeks later, its still reading correctly and my aircon problems are solved (for now)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts