Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you will suffer from this. The drivers wiper over-reaches and hit the seals at the bottom and side of the windscreen.

Well over the weekend I plan to sort it, this is how:

In the same way you can make the wipers reach further by modifying (lengthening by about 10cm) part of the wiper assembly to make single wiper conversions. Well I think, if you shorten this same link slightly, you can restrict the length of travel for the wipers.
I have already devised a plan. Cut this link in half, then cut say, 1/2cm off one of the pieces, then rejoin them. I plan to use metal "splints" to join the halves with drilling and bolts (sounds drastic, but I've planned it all out, honest). That way I can make minor adjustments to the length of travel by slackening the bolts and moving the halves closer together or further apart.

Just thought I'd get some feed back before I slice parts, just in case I've missed something out.

What do ya think ???

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Marlon

Have you tried moving the wipers further round on the splines to stop this? I wonder if the splints/bolts might weaken over time due to the force/speed of the 155 wipers.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't cure it Wrinx as the wipers go too far in both directions, so they hit the rubber at the bottom of the windscreen, then the drivers hits the rubber at the side of the windscreen. The moving on the spline cured the passenger side, it no longer hits the rubber at the bottom of the screen and of course there's nothing for it to hit when wiping the screen. Incidently, I put small hose clips round the splint assemblies as I noticed they looked a bit "slack" and wobbled. This seems to have made the wipers sweep smoother. Also put Hitachi machine oil in all the joints and moved them around. They were pretty stiff. Now that annoying intermittent fault when the wipers are on err.....intermittent, has dissapeared.

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tiz done.
Tonight I sorted the over-reaching wipers.
The short arm bolted to the motor was removed, then I drilled another hole beside the original "spline" hole on this arm and bolted it back down using the new hole. This in effect shortens the sweep of the wipers. Now they don't batter off the rubber at the bottom of the windscreen or the rubber at the drivers side. They also do clear enough of the windscreen properly. I might try the original chunky wipers again and see how they do.

Bring on the rain !!!!

Marlon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts