Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On September 29, 2010, I bought my Alfa from a certain main dealer.

This morning just before 8am, a man knocks on the door. He's from CIT/Barclays, and asks if I did an HPI check on the car. No I did not. Well I should have, because there's £2,000 of outstanding finance on it from the first owner (I'm the third).

He says he's "not going to take it today, we might be looking at the end of the week".

What, pray tell, shall I do?

K

·
0 Posts
Get on the phone to the dealer. They should have done an HPI check when they took it in.

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
What Keith said. ^^

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mystery deepens - I just did one (Experian Autocheck) and it shows clear.

I have photos of the paperwork and it seems legit.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
Maybe this bloke is trying it on? I would get onto the dealer to be sure though, and if this bloke comes back ask him for documented evidence of the missing £2000

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
I don't believe a dealer is allowed to sell a motor vehicle with outstanding finance. Check with them I would be very surprised if your car has finance on it.
Good luck with this :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Dealers may not be 'allowed' to sell with outstanding finance but it does happen ,it happened to me from a FIAT main dealer some years ago, all got very tricky until garage sorted out their mistake. However this does seem slightly different and contacting dealer would be my first option folowed by cursory call to the Police.

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
Dealers may not be 'allowed' to sell with outstanding finance but it does happen ,it happened to me from a FIAT main dealer some years ago, all got very tricky until garage sorted out their mistake. However this does seem slightly different and contacting dealer would be my first option folowed by cursory call to the Police.
It does yes. I nearly ended up with a Honda Accord and it's outstanding finance. The dealer sorted it quickly and informed me about the legality of them doing it. Mistakes as you say do happen.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spoke to the dealer - in the same boat as me, in that their HPI check is clear, so they've done nothing wrong. Got them to fax evidence of that to the company, and I moved the car somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
it sems you have proof mate. So if he turns up again call the police

A

·
0 Posts
Check your vin and engine numbers!! You may have a cloned stolen car. Its more common than you think.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not cloned or stolen. It was supplied new to a national building company in 2005, and they went bankrupt in 2006. It was then bought by the previous owner from an unknown supplier, sold to the dealer and sold to me.

The paperwork includes a few things: the Ogilvie invoice with Barclays as the financer, and then a letter in August from Barclays authorising collection of the vehicle.

I think since it's apparently not secured against the car, the liability ended when the company went bust and/or sold the vehicle - it does not transfer to me else it would show on HPI. However, getting the debt collectors to accept this may prove difficult.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
This sounds very strange. A debt collector would arrive with evidence etc to back up the claim. Maybe a good thing would be to get in contact with the bank and ask them whats going on. I find it strange that you wouldnt have received a letter stating the fact before they send the collector. If they say all ok then its the police i think that would be your next port of call but defo call the bank they will tell you straight away if there is finance owing on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I discovered outstanding finance on my about-to-be-purchased 156 four years ago. Because I wanted that car so much, I 'phoned Fiat Finance and enquired about the debt. Very efficient woman on the 'phone asked me to hold the line while she went to investigate. She came back and told me the debt had been cleared some time previously but HPI had somehow not been informed. She then sent this to HPI and copied me into the email:

Hi,

Please could you remove our interest in the following vehicle.

Model: Alfa Romeo 156 4dr Saloon
Our reference: XOXOXOXOXOX

Many Thanks

Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx
Fiat Auto Financial Services

All very quick and efficient, and next HPI check I did came back clear.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I emailed the collection agency and got:

I am in receipt of your email and the contents are noted.

Thank you for completing the questionnaire and I can confirm that we have no intentions to remove the vehicle. We are simply going through the history of this account. I see no further reason for us to contact you again.

Once again, thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Quite why Barclays wrote to them claiming it belongs to them, I'm not sure. Possibly not sorted yet, but hopefully won't affect me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts