Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Picked up my first Alfa in January which had a minor fault of the outside temperature reading being ---c. I guessed there was a faulty connection somewhere and didn’t get round to fixing it.

Since we have had the warm weather over the last couple of weeks a temp reading has started to be displayed. The only problem with this is the readings about -50c off. If its really hot outside it will be approx -30, if its just warm it will be -39.5 (no lower), if its cool like today its back to ----c.

I have read in the handbook that the air con will only start when the outside temp is above 4c. Over the last few its my drive home has been very uncomfortable with the air con not working, im guessing this is related?

There is an alfa indi near me (alfa tech) who ive heard good things about but they only open mon-fri, means i have to get an afternoon off to take it in. Would it be recommended to make the effort to get it in there or will a regular auto electrical garage be sufficient?

Thanks for your time

Ben

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The outside temp is measured by the knob under the wing mirror, is that intact ?

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Double check the connection block in the door. It's one of those twist off/twist on connections. Otherwise it could be the temp sensor in the mirror has failed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys,

The temp sensor on the mirror is intact and lately seems to work. If it displays -36c and i put my hand over it while driving (or park in the sun) it will rise to -32c. However when the temp drops a litle more so its below -39.5c it goes to ----, which is what i had all winter/spring.

How do i get to the connection block in the door?

The door on the drivers side does have a slightly larger panel gap than the passenger one does. I did think maybe the door had been off and maybe no connection untill recently when -30odd appeared. Also worth noting if -30odd id displayed and i put my window down it will display ----- till i take my finger off the button, if this normal or a faulty circuit?

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem ben.
Just purchased my GT so I'm off to the place I got it from to get it sorted.
I checked the sensor in the mirror, connections fine, the door plug, fine no corrosion, the fuses in the engine bay, fine, also the plugs where the fuses go under the steering wheel that go to the body computer, again fine so now it needs to go to get fixed in two weeks, as I got it from a dealer some distance away. I will keep you updated. I'd yours a GT too? Mines a 55 plate
Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Chris
Only just noticed your thread, I did do a search but didnt think of using 'climate control' so missed it. Mines a 147, 53 plate, guessing its the same sensor and air con system?
I dont know when i can get mine sorted as the alfa indi near me is only open when im at work. If you get it fixed before i do please let me know how you got on.

Ben

·
Registered
16 Posts
Will do mate... im not taking it back until the end of the month, as the dealer is the other side of the country but will update you once fixed (I hope!)..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright mate, just wondering what the latest is?

Im due a service next month, will prob use an alfa indy, so would be great if i can get that sorted out as well, the heads up will help a lot.

Ben

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Mate,
not looking good im afraid.
They had the car for 3 days and could not diagnose the problem. They hooked up the computer and when the windows were pressed it showed the temp going up yet the dispay showed it dropping??
They think its a wiring problem that could be any where. so ive got to take it to a local garage for them to replace many sensors, one by one until the problem can be found. My other electrics have started to play up now. my heated seats just turn on when they like... not good when its 30 degrees out side!
Fook damn electrics.

Keep me posted if you have any joy, i will let you know if there is any change!

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ben,
did you see my post?
Got mine fixed. It was the door window switch cluster on the drivers side. They fitted a new one (under warranty) and all is working well now. Apparently the outside tepm sensor goes through the same switches, so maybe it could be that? Might we worth getting a second hand one if you dont have any warranty?

Good luck!
Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

Thanks for the update, was just about to email you again as im going to try get it in this week.

How did they discover that? Have you still got the same temp sensor on the wing mirror then?

Does anyone knoow how much a door window switch cluster will be form a garage or scrappers?

Cheers Ben

P.s. hows the air con now? had chance to use it yet?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this may well be the cause. If i do have a temp reading and press to lower my window the dial will turn from -38.5 to ----- for a second. Also if i hold my window switch down the idle revs differ slighlty with a slight change of noise form the engine, is this normal?

Im booked in for a service at my local indi and am going to get it sorted then. They said if i get the part from a scrappers they will fit and set it up for me.The guy at the garage said this can be a common cause of this?

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem with their door window switch cluster ??? Do i def need a new cluster or will it just need re calibrating?

Cheers Ben

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to post again, dont bite!

I dont know exactly what kind of part it is, am a looking for a control box?

Please reply quick as need to get hold of soon

Cheers ben

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd forgot about this.

Changed the mirror, made no difference!

Changed the window switch cluster....RESULT!

Cheers guys:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,

Just another quick question.

Now my bella is displaying the correct exterior temperature i can now use my air con system However, when the air con is on it doesnt seem to cool the air at all! I was kinda expecting the performance to have suferred at bit due to the fact it hasnt been used for at least 3 years, but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Would it just be a case of getting a gas recharge or is there a good chance the whole system will be fudged?

Cheers

Ben

·
Registered
550 Posts
If it hasnt been used for 3 years chances are there is no gas left (or atleast not enough of it). Try recharging it first ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should i be able to tell when the compressor turns on? when i turn the air con on theres no real change in revs or any noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts