Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Hmmmm - can't say I'm Impressed, Al.....I've ignored the offers so far, too - and I don't like the look of that.......always viewed all my email on various accounts via Outlook Express, and that's been OK - I guess because I'm used to it......but I really don't like being "forced" to upgrade....

Mind you I'm still using XP, too ;)
I think most of the world are still on XP too.....
I quite like the new interface of Outlook however I do like my Gmail too.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think most of the world are still on XP too.....
I quite like the new interface of Outlook however I do like my Gmail too.
I think that you'll see that changing quite a lot in the next 12 months as companies move off XP. Although Microsoft haven't supported XP for a while for home users, support and updates for large companies on XP is due to stop in just over 12 months time which will force a move off XP.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i'm still on xp too. the desktop in the other lounge which i hardly ever use is on vista, and it's crap. having said that, the pc itself is cheap rubbish so maybe it's not the vista that's crap. never tried windows 7, or 8

this new outlook.com thingy has got a little bit quicker in the last week or so, but i'm still not a fan

V

·
0 Posts
Vista is cr4p. 7 is very good, 8 is for young people with touchscreens and lots of mobile devices which synchronise for the enhancement of their social media delight - none of which apply to me because I am old and grumpy and will somebody help me and tell me how to make 8 look like 7 because it's doing my head in! :mad: :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
Ooh, thanks Cobolman!

One thing I do love about 8 is that the start-up time is super-quick. I should have said but I do like a good rant as you know :lol:.

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
We've been changed over to Outlook 365 at work. It seem really clunky to me, but it is actually an improvement on the old system - which says everything :lol:

What about using Mozilla's Thunderbird?

C

·
0 Posts
Ooh, thanks Cobolman!

One thing I do love about 8 is that the start-up time is super-quick. I should have said but I do like a good rant as you know :lol:.
No worries mate, let us know how you get on with it.

Mrs C got a new Samsung laptop at the end of December with W8 on it and it took about 5 to 8 minutes to start which was a bit of a surprise based on everything I've read about W8. Having said that, 2 weeks ago it died and wouldn't boot up so is back with Samsung so I suspect it may have had problems right from the start.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
anyone still struggling with this outlook.com nonsense?

i'm running it on a brand new windows 8 PC, monster 80mb broadband, and yet still it plumbs new depths of crapness every time i use it. aaaaaaaarghhh!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Are you using the built in Windows 8 mail application or the Outlook.com Internet web page? The mail application should be better, but will still have the same look and feel of the web version.

Do you keep lots of messages in your inbox?

I prefer to use a proper copy of Outlook from Office which means that I can easily archive mail to personal folders on my network and keep only items that I need in my inbox.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i just use the online version, and keep my inbox & deleted items cleaned out quite regularly. i've got used to the fisher price look and feel of it all, but it's just so sloooooooow, and is prone to hanging far too often. to use a technical term, it's an ill thought-out pile of steaming faeces

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
anyone still struggling with this outlook.com nonsense?

i'm running it on a brand new windows 8 PC, monster 80mb broadband, and yet still it plumbs new depths of crapness every time i use it. aaaaaaaarghhh!!!! :mad:
Have you only just come around to getting those gas meter readings? :tut:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
i just use the online version, and keep my inbox & deleted items cleaned out quite regularly. i've got used to the fisher price look and feel of it all, but it's just so sloooooooow, and is prone to hanging far too often. to use a technical term, it's an ill thought-out pile of steaming faeces
You should get better performance using the inbuilt mail application which comes with Windows 8 although it will still have the same fisher price look.

I used it briefly with my Microsoft (hotmail/live/outlook) account and it seemed fine, although that's not my main account, only Microsoft send me emails using it.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts

I think you're being far too free with your praise, there, Al......

Lost count of the number of times I get told something along the lines of "we can't contact Outlook right now, please try again later". Useless POS!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think you're being far too free with your praise, there, Al......

Lost count of the number of times I get told something along the lines of "we can't contact Outlook right now, please try again later". Useless POS!
It's quite interesting reading these complaints. There are a lot of companies contemplating removing most of their internal email systems and moving them to services such as those supplied by Microsoft so they don't have to manage and upgrade a whole bunch of IT infrastructure.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
it's off the scale crap today. taking 10 minutes to access my account an another 10 minutes of hanging skipping from one email to the next. what the hell have they done to it, hotmail was never like this :mad:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts