Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm moving house in a couple of weeks time, and will be without a garage. I did previously keep the Alfetta outside for two weeks, before I couldn't bear the noise of the car screaming as she dissolved into a pile of rust. The plan is to keep her on a private driveway - so what are my best options here? A car cover? a Tarpaulin? A temporary garage might be frowned upon as it is a rental till we can find a suitable double garage with some kind of sleeping shack attached :rotate:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Definitely not a tarpaulin, you need a nice tight fitting waterproof and breathable cover. You can get cheaper ones, the Halfords ones for about £50 are good value and ok for a temporary fix but you're looking at about £200 for a good longer term solution.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I've got a Covercraft Noah for my spider, guaranteed for 5 years - it did have some deterioration and rips after four years so I sent it back to them for repair, they did a good job of repair but it did take a bit of nagging to get it back, its been outside under this cover when not in use for four years and I'm pretty impressed, no scratching or micro blistering despite being put away dirty and wet several times - its not waterproof but breathable which is what you want - waterproof ones will trap condensation which you really don't want
The Best Auto Covers from Covercraft Europe

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If its not waterproof how does that help, I'm not being funny just curious
Most of them will say they are weatherproof rather than waterproof but I put it badly, I should have said impervious; the ones that create condensation aren't breathable are to be avoided at all costs, I dispute claims of cheap covers to be breathable because that sort of material isnt cheap.
If i take my cover off after a heavy rainstorm my Spider is damp but if I leave it on after a day of sun everything is dry when i take it off, never suffers condensation so it works, getting your Alfa wet doesn't hurt but leaving it wet under a unbreathable cover will.

There are outdoor Carcoons which would be ultimate solution but they aint cheap and i don't know how long they would last, also a bit off a faff to put on and off if you use your Alfa regularly

There are reviews here but when you look at buyers reviews of the cheap ones don't last well guess you get what you pay for

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/99656/best-outdoor-car-covers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts