Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Ah.....the time for confessions 馃槼

When I went to view - and subsequently buy - my twinnie Spider, I did take the proverbial wad of cash. To be fair, it was quite cheap (relatively speaking) at 拢1200.

Experience had put me off the whole transfer business, when I was left twiddling my thumbs for FOUR hours in Whitstable (lovely place, but.......) having purchased a car and tried to transfer the funds from my account (First Direct) to the seller鈥檚 account (Halifax)

I believe because the transfer was to a Building Society, it wasn鈥檛 exactly instantaneous...... not what I needed when the drive home was 5 陆 hours..

However, I view things differently now, having read some of the above and will not be repeating the wad thing.

Registered
I appreciate all your replies.

Sterzo - that鈥檚 my concern....I did ask for the house number and he said he鈥檇 tell me when I got there! If the car was 10 minutes away, I wouldn鈥檛 mind so much. But it鈥檚 a 3 hour drive.....quite a hike if there is something a bit dubious afoot.

Bazza - I鈥檇 agree with the nicking it theory....except it鈥檚 a grotty little Jimny, rather than a lovely, shiny, umm... Alfa! But definitely a possibility.

Keithyboy - you鈥檙e right about the conflicting buyer/seller guides. My gut is feeble and spineless. It always tells me to run for the hills.......they鈥檙e all out to get me!
3 hour drive ??
No.

Registered
Why would you take a whole wad of cash with you when you first go to view a vehicle?

Especially in the days of the easy bank transfer.
You clearly have never wanted to get the best possible deal on a private sale then!!!......money talks and if you can pay for it there and then in cash you will generally get a lot better deal. A definite deal, fully paid up right now and ill drive it away, is so much better than a possibly better deal a few days away with a small deposit and collection week later...which inevitably is delayed for some reason or other (bloke backed out of my car sale so I cant buy yours etc etc.). That said I would never tell the seller that I had the cash until the deal is near done so that guy was stupid to put himself in that position.

Registered
You clearly have never wanted to get the best possible deal on a private sale then!!!......money talks and if you can pay for it there and then in cash you will generally get a lot better deal. A definite deal, fully paid up right now and ill drive it away, is so much better than a possibly better deal a few days away with a small deposit and collection week later...which inevitably is delayed for some reason or other (bloke backed out of my car sale so I cant buy yours etc etc.). That said I would never tell the seller that I had the cash until the deal is near done so that guy was stupid to put himself in that position.

I have never had any issue with getting a deal and then leaving a small deposit. But when I am selling I almost always turn away people who offer to pay cash immediately or the same day as I know that they are going to offer me much less than the car is worth.

Come to think about it, I might be happier to receive a bank transfer... How do you know that the buyer won't return later in the day and steal the cash back after the car has gone?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts