Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - just a quick query, really.

I’m after a mid priced/cheapish 4x4 runaround for the farm. Nothing fancy or big.

I currently have a little Suzuki Jimny soft top and am hugely impressed with it. It is a bit care-worn now, so I’d like to change it out for a hard top version. Found a reasonable one a fair way from me - but reckon it’s worth the drive. The owner seems OK-ish - so I’ve arranged to pop up next week to see it.

I texted him, asking for the address and he replied with a postcode. I thanked him and asked for a house name/number....just a postcode won’t get me there.

He texted back, saying he’ll give me those details “when you get here”

That has flummoxed me. Is this normal behaviour, or should I be suspicious? Does he think I’m some sort of scamming thief?

I appreciated I live in darkest Wales. Crime rates are ridiculously low. Everyone around here leaves keys in cars and houses unlocked. It’s lovely, actually.

Has anyone else experienced the “half address” approach? Should I walk away or am I being a paranoid bumpkin?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I wouldn't start a journey without knowing where I'm going. Maybe he's just a bit scatterbrained, but if you tell him you need to know the exact address in order to get there, he'll let you know.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I guess his worry is that you want to nick it? But postcode will get you close enough that you could easily scout for it anyway.

I don't see any nefarious reason for him doing this that makes sense.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I once spoke to someone who was selling a Mk2 Golf GTi. He wanted me to meet him and his mate on the car park of a gym he didn't know the name of. I gave that one a swerve.

It's one of those areas where buyer's guides and seller's guides conflict. Buyers are told to be suspicious if they seller is reticent about the address. Sellers are told not to give out the address lest the potential buyer is, in fact, light fingered.

What does your gut say? If you think it's fishy, trust your instincts.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all your replies.

Sterzo - that’s my concern....I did ask for the house number and he said he’d tell me when I got there! If the car was 10 minutes away, I wouldn’t mind so much. But it’s a 3 hour drive.....quite a hike if there is something a bit dubious afoot.

Bazza - I’d agree with the nicking it theory....except it’s a grotty little Jimny, rather than a lovely, shiny, umm... Alfa! But definitely a possibility.

Keithyboy - you’re right about the conflicting buyer/seller guides. My gut is feeble and spineless. It always tells me to run for the hills.......they’re all out to get me!

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I appreciate all your replies.

Sterzo - that’s my concern....I did ask for the house number and he said he’d tell me when I got there! If the car was 10 minutes away, I wouldn’t mind so much. But it’s a 3 hour drive.....quite a hike if there is something a bit dubious afoot.

Bazza - I’d agree with the nicking it theory....except it’s a grotty little Jimny, rather than a lovely, shiny, umm... Alfa! But definitely a possibility.

Keithyboy - you’re right about the conflicting buyer/seller guides. My gut is feeble and spineless. It always tells me to run for the hills.......they’re all out to get me!
As an old friend of mine is fond of saying: "just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean the bastards aren't out to get you".

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Do you really want to buy a car off someone who won’t give you their postcode?

They may or may not be polishing their cauldron right now in anticipation of fresh meat .... but even if they aren’t they’re weird morons who probably haven’t got it serviced (because then the garage will know where we live).

Instead, buy one from a normal human being.

·
Registered
44,775 Posts
I'd move on to the next one, preferably a reputable garage where you get a coffee and a warranty. I've given up on buying or selling car privately, just too much stress involved. Also the tyre kickers and time wasters p*** me off so much!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Instead, buy one from a normal human being.
This. You buy it from him, and he doesn't notify the DVLA or give you the V5... or he thinks you never leave the spare or a manual in the car... he's lost the MoT list of advisories... the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always trust the collective opinion of AO!!

Thank you all for such sage advice, which I acted on this morning. I sent a text to the chap selling the Jimny, politely explaining I would no longer be coming to view the vehicle and apologising for any inconvenience.

I received a torrent of abuse in return. So.......dodged a bullet there, I think.

Thank you ;)

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I haven't bought one privately in years, partly because of this nonsense, partly because private sellers seem to want more money. I think the sum for selling price is outstanding finance + spending money for Benidorm + an extra bit because it can't have deprecated that much.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Don't forget that any mods they have done to the car - they expect you to pay for them double because of the carefully curated and mutually beneficial tasteful modifations they have made . Rather than knock money off the price because of the shoddy crap they've glued all over it with no regards to aesthetics, actual performance benefits, or for that matter safety.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
To be fair, the seller might have wanted to check out that you were a genuine buyer and not someone who might turn up, case the joint and/or nick his car from his driveway, although for an old banger it might appear extreme.

I've gone to buy stuff where the seller did the same. "I'm in Darkness Drive..." "Okay.. it's number 15"... no probs.. and then again, I've bought stuff where the seller said.. "15 Darkness Drive... the car is unlocked down the side of the house... so just go and have a look at it when you get here..." Again, no probs.

On the other hand, you do need to be careful. I read just recently of someone who was given the actual address, told to phone when he got there, so the buyer could "open the door"... and when he did, a van comes round the corner, a couple of burly geezers leap out, take the money the guy has and drive off again.. the addressee had no idea his address was the RV for a mugging.

But if you want to sell something, I'm of the view you want to make it as easy as possible (short of leaving the car unlocked with the keys in the ignition down the side of the house).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the other hand, you do need to be careful. I read just recently of someone who was given the actual address, told to phone when he got there, so the buyer could "open the door"... and when he did, a van comes round the corner, a couple of burly geezers leap out, take the money the guy has and drive off again.. the addressee had no idea his address was the RV for a mugging.

Ralf S.
What has happened to people these days? I am not ignorant, nor unaware of the problems burdening society - but that level of cynical, cold, premeditated theft still manages to shock me.

How very depressing. :(

The desire to replace my grotty Jimny has evaporated ...I shall retreat and weld!!

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Why would you take a whole wad of cash with you when you first go to view a vehicle?

Especially in the days of the easy bank transfer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts