Alfa Romeo Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I could only dream of 41MPG!!! I average about 29MPG in my 155TB, but you can't put a price on the massive smile it puts on my face every time you flick the switch to "D" (which is more often than I probably should).

Like all Alfas out there, it has it's "characteristics" - the alarm triggers itself automatically every so often, the "hill hold" sometimes interferes when I'm reversing down my drive (which is on a slope), which then causes the car to stall, making me look like a ****, and I had my washer jets pop off a couple of times before they were replaced under warranty, filling the car with a foamy smell :p. Would I give it up and replace it with a more solid german car? Never - I love my red headed italian women too much :D

If you're not happy with the service you've gotten from a dealer, give ARUK a ring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have phoned Alfa UK several times,and they seem to be on the defensive of Desira group,and 4 weeks later,still haven't come back to us.When ever we get a problem,we phone ARUK and they have always said to take it to Desira ( we explained why we bought it from Motorvogue,and that driving the 120 miles to get there isn't a practical option ).The last time the car went in,Desira were supposed to have a technician come from Alfa to have a look at the car,and get it sorted once and for all.All they did was leave it there for 2 weeks,and didn't even drive it a mile;I got the car back absolutely filthy,covered in bird droppings,with a almost dead battery.The car now has to be jump started if it sits for more than a week,yet they won't replace the battery. I think Alfa Romeo's biggest problem is its dealer network,and customer care;the quality is far better than it used to be,but the dealer service is way behind the times.What does concern me is that Desira claim my 59 plate Veloce 1.3 is a 85 BHP:(,despite me telling them its a 90 BHP,and that the 85 BHP wasn't even built at that time,plus the cars identity sticker and ECU module clearly states 90 BHP

·
Registered
334 Posts
Was so excited to take the car home after sending it and going out on test drive. Was upset to leave my beloved Renaultsport Clio as used it as Part Exchange. I have never owned anything but 2 other Renault Clio's.

First 4 weeks of ownership was fab, drove lovely, never had to vist the petrol station every other day for fuel and was warming to her. The car even got her name.

Week 5 came and that's where it all went wrong. Steering warning up in dash, weird noises coming from passenger side front. RAC vist twice in a week. In the end vehicle taken back to purchased dealer to fix the problem to be told steering column kaputt and part in back order.

It's been 5 weeks nearly 6 weeks this sat since I seen a so called Mito that I pay finance for but instead driving around in a Vauxhall Corsa that I hate as I have back problems.

Will say this, cannot wait to get rid and sadly never buy another Alfa again. Sorry to you all they have had great experience, but I haven't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 147 2.0 Twin Spark. I have driven a few Mito's over time and I am looking to get the Mito QV. It's exterior looks great, and certainly has alot more power than my 147. But my only reservations are the interior. When I sit in it, it is different and refreshing however I do not think its necessarily better than the 147 interior. Cheap plastics on the lower dash and on the door handles do bug me. I know they are in a different segment but the Mito has about 8years on the 147.

Am I alone? Or have any of you who have spent quite a bit of time in both cars think the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
1.4TR Lusso 2009 Test Drive

I saw this car at a local garage and was attracted to it, so I had a test drive.

When I first drive another car, I'm always a bit nervous and hesitant; so many new things to get used to (and I'm an OAP, just). It's enough just to get moving without stalling, and get along the road in a reasonable manner. It then takes me several miles and quite a while to adjust to the car, get the 'feel' of it before I can really drive it.

So this test drive ... in 'N', away fine, out onto main road, quarter of a mile to 1st roundabout ... hey that feels nice; into 'D', got going ... half a mile to next roundabout and just found myself going in fast, accelerating, cornering hard, coming out fast and accelerating; totally at ease and loving it!

OK, it wasn't that fast (but a lot faster than any car near me); about 50, where I can do 60 in my Lotus Elite 4 seater when traffic allows, but a lot faster than the Seat Arosa. I know I could go faster if I knew the car.
But that's the point; I didn't know the car, I had not adjusted to it, yet I could naturally and easily drive it fairly hard, it just asked to be driven and enjoyed.

And that, to me, is what it's all about!

Little more to be said but a point or two.
I'd say the ride was 'tight' rather than harsh or hard as some reviews say; a small difference in words, a big difference in meaning? Tight and controlled, acceptable in a perfomance car IMHO. Better than I'd expected from reviews. Much better ride than a SEAT Leon Cupra than I know well.

The car I tested had a tendency to wander to the right, but didn't pull to the right under braking; I refused to buy until that was sorted out. Later that day I took my wife to see the car - and it was sold!

I'm pretty sure the Mito (1.4TR or TR multiair) is the car I want, but I'll take my time to find a good one .....

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's now two weeks in from getting my first Alfa. It is actually my wife's car, but she hasn't seen as much of it as she anticipated. It's an etna black 1.3 diesel lusso.

I have to say that it is a top car. I thoroughly enjoy driving it. It is style from bumper to bumper. I actually like the suspension/ride comfort that most reviewers ***** about. I also like the interior, the seats are excellent and the steering is as good as any electric setup I have driven.

My only regret is that I couldn't go the extra £150,000 and get an 8C.

As was pointed out in another thread on here, the only serious problem with the Mito is the fact that when you are driving it you cannot see how gorgeous the car it is. You have to stop every 10 miles or so and get out and look.

There are a few minor things that would have been nice to have.

Auto dipping mirror and auto headlights. Electric folding wing mirrors. These have no strong practical use, but I do enjoy flapping my wing mirrors when standing at traffic lights. The bluetooth connectivity available on the veloce would have been nice, but that is about it.

The car may not have the poke of other versions of the model, but at my age all you need is sufficient to see off uppity molluscs on Fiestas, Corsa et al. It has plenty enough for that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
147 v Mito interior

I own a 147 2.0 Twin Spark. I have driven a few Mito's over time and I am looking to get the Mito QV. It's exterior looks great, and certainly has alot more power than my 147. But my only reservations are the interior. When I sit in it, it is different and refreshing however I do not think its necessarily better than the 147 interior. Cheap plastics on the lower dash and on the door handles do bug me. I know they are in a different segment but the Mito has about 8years on the 147.

Am I alone? Or have any of you who have spent quite a bit of time in both cars think the same?
We (well, my wife) are on our second Mito. I've found the interior comfy and pleasing on the eye. The only difference in the 135 Multiair over the 120 TB being nicer seat cloth and better dial numbering. I've also got a GT which uses the 147 dash. Compared to the dash on my previous 156s (especially the facelift) I've found the dash design and layout frumpy and lumpy. It's the only aesthetic downside to an otherwise glorious car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
155TB review (114,000 km)

I've had a 2009 155TB Mito (114,000km, 1,250,000 yen) for nearly a month now. So far it's mainly done town driving but I was able to take it out for a 600km highway cruise yesterday afternoon / evening. Having done that, I feel able to give a more balanced assessment of my experience so far. This is my first alfa and my first 'nice' car, having driven 660 cc 'kei' cars for the last four years. Needless to say it wouldn't have taken much to impress me!

Plus: The looks, Dynamic mode, the leather seats, rear storage space, the engine note.

I wasn't so fixed on getting an Alfa when looking for a car, I just wanted a decent manual hatchback with a bit of oomph and style (because a car is an avatar as well as something to get from A to B, right!). Dynamic mode is awesome, the throttle response is immediate and it's more engaging to drive. We managed to fit a trolley-load of Costco stuff in the back (and they have BIG trolleys).

Meh: display menu, normal mode, fuel economy, stone chips

It's cool to have access to trip information at your fingertips but it would be nice to be able to toggle through them in both directions. Normal mode, while fine in town, is disappointing on the highway, feeling quite sluggish when going up inclines or overtaking. Maybe I just got used to dynamic mode. :) For 600km of highway driving generally doing between 100 and 120 km/hr we got 16 km/l (45 mpg in the UK I believe). Actually, now that I've converted it to mpg, it doesn't seem so bad. I read about the stone chip problem on this forum; it seems to be a Mito thing. Oh well.

Minus: low front bumper, headlights, driver visibility

The front bumper is a pain in the arts. I've managed to scrape the bottom of it on a few slightly sloping driveway entrances already but don't care at all because ... winter is coming. Lots of snow and ice here in northern Japan and I will be surprised if it's in one piece come April. The xenon headlights are great for the driver but not nice for oncoming traffic, it seems, especially in the rain. I was 'flashed' a couple of times (and yes, I was using low beam!). Anyone else experience this? Any solutions? My last gripe is not unique to the Mito; it's quite difficult to know where the opposite front wheel is. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Oh yeah, found my first Alfa idiosyncrasy yesterday. While driving at night the message 'rear door is open' appears when the rear wiper is switched on. :)

Overall, I'm very happy I got this car. 114,000 km is a fair distance, but almost all of it was on the highway and maintenance was carried out on schedule. The engine seems to be in very good condition, as does the interior and paintwork (stone chips excluded!). It's OK around town, but hampered by a poor turning circle and visibility. Country roads and highway driving is much more its forte.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm a brand new Mito QV owner (well almost) but before I've actually put my pen into the paper I've test drove couple of Mitos for longer amount of time (MA135 and the QV I've bought) so I think I could get a review done based on my experience and comparing both MA135 and QV170.

Well first of all when I was sitting down and waiting for/chatting with our salesman to talk about options we had (I was really going for a low milege MiTo MA135 or maybe a Fiat 500 Abarth), I couldn't stop staring at that black MiTo parked outside. There was plenty of other mitos but this one was pitch black with dark grey tail light surrounds and dark grey wheels with bright red calipers. I really loved the looks of it and I remember myself thinking: "It's a shame 135bhp ones come with those crappy chrome bits..."

After a longer chat with the salesman about our budget and needs he went: If the price of the car has met your budget would you consider getting a 170bhp Cloverleaf model? Needless to say I went very excited and yelled: YES! way too loud before he even finished the sentence... So he printed out couple of pages and has offered me two choices: 2011, 20k miles, Mito 135bhp and 2010, 48k miles, Mito Cloverleaf. Both within our budget and both quite interesting. The 135bhp one was newer had lower milege, better kit inside and was a bit more expensive. The 170bhp one was obviously a QV but the kit was completely standard (I think) and had a bit higher milage then we expected to go for, but at £7500 it was too cheap to just turn down. So we went to test drive both. We went into the 170QV first.

Obviously we came up to that black/graphite car I was staring at for good couple of minutes and my heart just stop for a second. It looked stunning and closer I looked the more amazed I was. Our salesman drove it first to the petrol station and when he filled her up I took over. First impression? The throttle feels very very very soft and unresponsive. I actually had to press it down a lot before anything happened and when it did, it wasn't smooth. It was like someone flicked a switch and from 'busy carpark rolling' speed it went to full 'dodgy t-junction set off'. Well ok that's weird... When we finally set off, it felt fine and normal. It was quick-ish but nothing too exciting to be fair. My other concern was that I couldn't really feel anything that was going on with front wheels, which made me under speed all the corners; I didn't feel like I knew if the speed I'm traveling at is low enough to take a corner without understeering into a hedge or having everyone else in the car fly around like loose potatoes. I think that the fact I was driving cars that were very light and direct and didn't have any power steering what so ever didn't help. I literally went from a go-kart handling, carburettor fueled, car that you could feel every leaf on your fingers through steering wheel, to a almost-new, modern, all electric-everything car for the first time in my life. I really couldn't get hold of it at all at first. I have heard a lot bad about ride comfort but I couldn't really fault it for anything. Yes it was rather on a firm side but comparing to what I'm used to is still very very civilised, if not rather good in my opinion.

Then the super kind salesman suggested gently to flick the magic switch from N to D. That broke the hell loose. Literally. The car started to feel much much much more powerfull. It felt way faster then anything I drove that had around 170bhp. Also the suspension felt like the car went from stock springs and shocks, to track spec coilover set. Well it didn't ride any lower (unfortunatelly) but it really did firmed up dampers. It had less body roll, was a bit more shaky but it felt much more planted. I still couldn't really get much feedback through the steering wheel (that went a bit harded) in D mode but it did feel a bit more encouraging. I still was braking all the way down before any major corners and driving around them granny-style. Also in D mode the throttle worked like I was expecting it too. There wasn't any delay and 'lack of power, unless pressed hard down'. It became much more intuitive. I really really liked it in the D mode. I might have actually make couple of high pitched sounds when booting it on the test drive. I think I could get hold of it after a while as the salesman was looking very happy too (or frightened with a nervous smile) :D

Brakes in general are very good but they didn't really feel that excellent. I don't really know how to put it, they are good but not so obvious and aggressive as you'd think so. On light braking they felt not as sharp as I'm used to but I think when you actually press down they stop the car very well and it's fairly hard to get the ABS to set off. They felt similar to how my old 1996 Impreza used to stop after converting it to 4 pot STi brakes. They didn't feel any sharper at all but I could put my foot all the way down and they wouldn't lock up. Ever.

I didn't really paid much attention to gearbox unfortunately except it was a 6 speed, which I didn't have the pleasure to use before. I've ended up using it like it was a quite short 5 speed and put it into 6th on a longer straight if I remembered. I think it was very similar to what I was used to, so was the clutch pedal feel. I really didn't have to even think about it. It all went silky smooth from the get go.

Also being a car that has done nearly 50k miles, it really looked and felt brand new. It didn't smell brand new as there was a air freshener, but other then that if you'd ask me to guess it's milage after the test drive, I'd give it anything between 5k and 20k.

Then we came back and went into the 135bhp mito. That had 5speed gearbox and same interior but in non QV trim. It had a cooler/nicer looking radio, with the screen in the middle and this is really the only thing I wish that QV had. I didn't really like it as much with the silver bits around the steering wheel comparing to all-black, very sleek looking QV. Never mind though. It really felt new in there. When the 48k miles QV felt like 10k miles, the 20k miles 135 felt brand new. It really did.

When we set off, I've immediately noticed that there wasn't as much sluggishness in the pedal in N mode in the 135bhp and brakes felt much more sharp and sudden on light braking. The power was delivered in the very same way as in the QV but it was just less of it. The 5 speed gearbox had pretty much exactly same throw and gear ratios as the gearbox I was using in my current daily car. I could get into details about 135 but I think the best way to sum it up and describe it would be: It's just a nice looking, new, ordinary car. It didn't make me feel any different then my daily Mazda except it was new, more stylish and a bit faster. The grip was similar to my Mazda, the gearbox felt the same, the steering felt pretty much the same. I didn't push this car as much as I did the 170bhp one so I couldn't really test the brakes under heavy load but the ride quality felt much worse then the QV one. I mean it still wasn't bad, but it was hard and shaky on N and pretty much the same on D. There was no comfy/sporty options like QV had.

I just didn't feel at all like I was driving something special when driving 135 and considering my budget and the fact that it's the first time we're buying almost new car, I would really like to feel that I'm spending a lot of money, because something I'm getting for it is worth that much. 135 didn't the QV definitely did. The cloverleaf really felt special. When driving the 135bhp I actually missed all those things that felt odd in first when driving the QV. I liked the sluggish throttle in N when driving around the car park and parking the car up. I really liked the WOW factor of the performance that 135 simply didn't have. I don't know... on paper the difference really isn't that big but when I actually got to drive both I really think that MiTo MA135 is just a stylish, ordinary driving car when MiTo 170QV really is a baby supercar. Well at least it made me feel like I'm driving one anyway.

Before I drove them both I was leaning more toward the 135 but after I drove them it wasn't even the fact that the QV was cheaper or that it had more power. I have chosen the 170QV because the 135 didn't feel much different then my W reg Mazda Demio. Yes it looks great, yes it goes quite well, yes the interior is beautiful (I love MiTo's interior to bits!) but it really drives like an ordinary car. I really think that. Basically, when MA135 MiTo drove almost like my £800 Mazda I'd excepct it to do the same but 10 times better to justify it (which obviously it didn't, it was better but not £7200 better). That's why we passed on it really.

So the next day we came back and payed in the deposit for an Alfa Romeo MiTo 170QV.

Unfortunatelly, I still haven't got it because the next week, on the day I was suppose to pick it up they've found a fault on it. Something to do with steering rack/power steering system. They've told me, they will get it fixed by last Friday but on Friday I was told that it's not power steering it's some earth cable that was being faulty and because it's different then any 'normal' Mito or punto with multiair eninge and it's not a part that fails often, they don't have it in stock in UK and have to import it from Italy. I've been told it's going to be ready on Thursday (which I doubt a bit now to be fair)... So from absoultely extatic and in love, I went to a bit sceptical. Especially after reading all those horror stories on forums, about MiTos falling apart regardless on how new they are, and mine being 48k and braking down before I even get it...

I'm sure that when I finally pick it up I will forget all that frustration and will love it to bits.

I'm sorry for my messy review writeup, but that's the best way I can express my feelings about those two :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
44,764 Posts
Here is my MiTo review.

I recently sold my MiTo Turismo [95] after 4 and a half years of ownership so I think I can give a good assessment of the car. I bought my Mito in August / September 2009, delivered in October 2009. One of the best days ever was when I went to pick it up from the dealers in Birmingham.

I ordered it during the scrappage scheme and traded a 20v Fiat for it, a trade I have regretted not because I didn’t like the Mito but because I loved that Fiat so much.

The MiTo was the best looking small car available at the time I thought. Just looking at it made me smile and chuckle, then I had a test drive (in a 120hp 1.4 TB). That convinced me I had to have the Mito and so a deal was done. Looking back I think I could have done a better deal but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The looks took inspiration from the exciting Alfa 8C, the performance of the 95hp however did not ! The best bit of the MiTo is the rear, particularly lit up at night on the motorway, it looked fantastic ! The worst bit for me was the plastic light collars, particularly the grey ones…. Like I had.

The drivers seat was such a nice place to be, it had a feeling of quality and durability. When I found a comfortable driving position it felt very well planted on the road. Going round corners was a pleasure as it seemed to be on rails sometimes. A lot of the competition I had seen like the Renault Clio, Mazda 2 and Peugeot 207 all felt rather cheap and nasty inside. The Peugeot had a central information display I swear had come off a 70s Atari game machine ! The Renault was just cheap, nasty and horrifically under powered with a 1 litre (Renault claimed 1.1) engine. The Mazda was technically very good, as you expect from the Japanese but the looks were not my cup of tea at all.

The D.N.A system took some getting used to. Initially I used N a lot, town driving and multi storey car parks are it’s thing. I only really used D when I went on longer trips, using A roads and motorways. Eventually I was using D all the time as I got so fed up with the lack of responsiveness in N. I used A in the snow and it was great, this turned to brilliant when I added a set of winter tyres into the mix. Motorway ‘cruising’ wasn’t really possible in the 95hp MiTo, every little incline forced you to change gear. In 6th at 70 you had to change down to 5th so as not to lose too much speed on an incline or 4th if you actually wanted to accelerate and keep up with traffic. Relaxing was not an option ! Around town the MiTo is excellent, nippy, nimble and easy to park. Acceleration from 0 - 62 was a claimed 11.2 seconds, when there is a 44 tonne monster gaining on you it feels like a lot longer ! My biggest disappointment in the MiTo was the 6 speed gearbox. They put a 6 speed in the 95 but a 5 speed in the 120 ! The 95 would have been a much nicer car to drive with a 5 speed box and the 120 would have been able to handle the 6 speed much better.

Comfort in the MiTo was generally quite good, the seats were firm and supportive. I was able to find a comfortable driving position quite easily. I liked to CD / radio, it did an adequate job of keeping me amused on long journeys. I had the optional leather trimmed steering wheel and gear knob, this included having audio controls on the steering wheel. This was a lot more useful than I thought it would be.

Handling was good as I said before, but it came at a cost. The suspension was unbelievably firm, this gave a harsh ride. I found it really unpleasant in the end, the car could feel like it was travelling on a rutted cart track on anything less than perfectly smooth roads. This is probably 75% of the reason why I have just sold the car. Going through Belgium earlier in the year I thought it was going to shake my head loose if I didn’t find a smooth road ! Maybe it’s just me but it is probably the worst ride quality I’ve experienced.

Reliability was not a problem, my MiTO never went wrong and never let me down when I needed it. The only warranty repair I had was when a tube supplying washer fluid to the rear wash / wipe came adrift. The dealer wasn’t particularly happy to do it and said if it happened again I would have to pay. Probably the biggest negative about owning an Alfa is the dealer. Some dealers really do not care, they will fob you off with any old tosh. I’m sure there are some great Alfa dealers out there but I have not met one.

There was the occasional gremlin that crept in, sometimes there would be a message saying ‘attempted break in’ but the only person near the car was me ! Then there were the two occasions when the message ‘alarm not available’ flashed up… no idea why but it disappeared before I could investigate. Nothing actually went wrong but there were those signs of ‘Alfaness’ occasionally.

Something I definitely did not complain about was fuel economy, around town and every day driving I was averaging about 39 mpg which is really good for me. On my long trips to the continent I regularly got 46 / 47 mpg average which is excellent ! You do have to stick, more or less, to the national posted speed limits to achieve those figures though. I did laugh sometimes when the tank was about 25% full, I would be in a traffic jam or slow moving traffic and suddenly the car would panic and put up the ‘Low Fuel’ warning.

The thing I found irritating was the unpredictable oil consumption. I could do 400 miles in a day and not lose a drop of oil, do 30 miles the next day and the oil would fall half way down the dipstick! Alfa, of course, said not to worry. They believed that using 1 litre of oil in 1000 miles was an acceptable level of consumption. Fortunately mine was nowhere near that bad but did use a litre of oil every 7000 - 10,000 miles.

Please don’t think I didn’t love the MiTo because I did, most of the time. As with any marriage though the things you found cute or funny at the start can get on your nerves after a few years. I would not buy another MiTo because I know after a few months it would remind me why I sold this one. I will buy another Alfa Romeo eventually, I would love a 166 3.0 24v as a weekend car. That will have to wait for another day unfortunately.

·
Registered
948 Posts
You were very lucky with you Mito. I've had mine for just over 3 years with only 20K on the clock but at 16K it had major failure with the TCT in the 1st and 3rd gear and the whole gearbox had to be replaced. Luckily it was still under warranty. I was shocked that a part like that could fail in such a short time. It's just pot luck with cars, my previous car was a 206, has it for 10 years, passed every MOT and not even one error code was every recorded on the computer and we know how reliable Peugeots are! The car has been great. I keep it on D most of the time and it will average 36 mpg, but in N about 41mpg but its sluggish and you feel pushing the car so it gets turned back to D mode. Its a great car, nothing like it on the road and people still stop me from time to time to talk about the car even now (not Alfa owners) .

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Great to see this thread still going, guys! So good to read your reviews.

I don't hang around here much anymore, having sold my MiTo, but I have to say I won't forget it in a hurry... :)

Keep on loving your Alfas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alfa MiTo 1.4 TB 120 Review

New to this forum, have been reading the threads for a long time and much of it persuaded me to finally buy an Alfa MiTo. Here's my review after 3 weeks of ownership.

Why and how I bought an Alfa Mito
I originally had a Mini Cooper, 04 plate. Really good little car, I did quite a few miles in it over the course of my placement year and it ended up on about 72,000. The trouble was it seemed that 60-70,000 mile space of time was where things started to go wrong. First was the radiator, then the power steering pump, then the exhaust (the pipe rusted and snapped away from the back box, that made a row when you revved let me tell you,), then a few tyres which were run flats so quite costly. Anyhow taking this as a sign, plus the steering rack sounded like it was on its way out, I decided to change car around June at the end of my uni placement.
There aren't many cars on the road these days that I like besides Alfas. A Mini Cooper S would have been nice but the insurance cost didn't seem worth it. I always assumed an Alfa Mito would be high insurance but to my surprise it was very reasonable indeed, even the 1.4 TB 120. I finally found the perfect Mito after months of searching. It was local, 38,000 miles, Rosso Red, Veloce and a 1.4 TB 120 under the bonnet. Perfect! Traded in the Mini and she was all mine. :)

Paintwork
I had read on here the issues about the paintwork, especially on the red Mito's, being so proem to stone chips. A few weeks before I went to see a 11 plate red Mito which was covered, it looked like the front had been sandblasted. Compared to this my car was not too bad, a few bad ones but nothing some touching up couldn't fix. I expected the area in front of the rear wheel arches to be bad but to my surprise it was difficult to find anything major. Halfords mixed up the perfect match and I've had some success so far, the bonnet looks like brand new from a distance, so hopefully with a bit more work it will get to that stage close up.

Engine
I think the 120 turbo is the engine to go for out of the earlier models. Admittedly I haven't test drove a 155 but the insurance for myself was too much for this to be an option. The 1.4 was good but lacked that spark, that bit of excitement and I think the turbo gives it just that. I can't believe how quiet the engine is on tick over. I was driving through the car park, low revs with the windows down and all I could hear was the vauxhall corsa on my tail. I'm not a massive fan of loud exhausts so for me this is a really positive point.
Miles per gallon seems to be a point of complaint for some people. I haven't driven around town enough for a good mpg reading on that, but motorway driving it's fantastic. Earlier last week I drove from Doncaster to Norfolk to see my girlfriend. On the A1 I kept it around 65mph then down to 60 for the boring A roads, and my average was 58.6 mpg!! Compared to my old 1.6 mini that did about 40mpg at best, I was very pleased!!

Interior
The Veloce model really brings the inside of this car to life. The beautiful carbon fibre dashboard, the gorgeous dials and the sports, comfortable seats are a joy to behold. It really is a lovely place to be. Maybe the plastics do feel a bit plasticy (sounds stupid but true), but visually I think it's stunning. It took a while to find the perfect driving position. I'm 6ft 3 so I don't have much choice in some respects, but got there in the end.
The rear passenger space isn't too bad. For someone like myself I think it would be a nightmare, but no complaints from my more regular sized friends and family so far.
My only complaint so far, which isn't exactly interior but I'll write it here regardless, is the squeaky window. I think it's a rubber seal as opposed to the motor. Ill do some investigating soon.
Boot space isn't bad. Bit of a question if anyone has any info, maybe I'm being stupid. Is there a way to get the back seats completely flat, relative to the boot?

Ride and handling
Handling wise, I don't think there are many cars you can compare to the mini. That thing is like a gokart, it just sticks to the road. However the steering was heavy and not good for cruising. I found the Mito steering to be extremely light, not very much feel, which may be exaggerated by myself being used to the mini. I do think it's nice to actually drive again though. Mini driving is simply too easy, you have to think about what you're doing again going into a corner, which I like.
I think the ride is fantastic. What do some people expect for a super mini with big alloys? Putting things into perspective I think it's great and I wouldn't let the bad reviews put people off.

Overall
Very very pleased with the car. It stands out, it turns heads, it's gorgeous. Practically it may not be the best vehicle in the world, but next to a Mini Cooper, I'd choose the MiTo anytime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
AR Mito in Russia

Write your review using online translator. So there may be a misunderstanding because of the inconsistency of translation.

Bought the car in Japan, an export version of right-hand drive vehicles. Black and burgundy interior, 155hp turbine IHI VL38, White wine color, wheels 17 ", manual gearbox 6.

I live in Russia, the Far East (https://www.google.ru/maps/place/%D0%91%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%89%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA,+%D0%90%D0%BC%D1%83%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F+%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8C/@49.4537624,126.7437602,7z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x5e8947a60aa8bf37:0x356038b921707c61

About control, dynamics, general impressions.

- VERY cheap plastic. Just disappointed.
- Leather on the steering wheel as a canvas boots. Rough and like plastic. What is a leather glove, Fiat probably does not know.
= Board computer usual,
+ Pleased switchable passenger airbag.
- Not pleased that my car was four local (export version of the feature), although almost always ride one.
+ Help with rebuilding (indicator blinking three times)
+ Automatic headlight range control
- Parking lights always work with the dipped beam.
- When precipitation as snow when the rear window defogger rear wiper turns on itself for a moment. Now I have to go to the janitor, to take him off the glass, then just get in the car and listen to like a piece of ice on glass shkryabaet until thawed.
- At the level of consumption "below nowhere" ie three liters, disables all electronics, abs and email. power steering. Can do it while driving a car that is not safe.
- No regime warming front wiper that winter is very necessary.
= Speakers typically sings passable, as in other cars. Of the benefits of this brand Bose and bluepoints and drawbacks of heavy components as interchangeability everything is calculated on the 2nd
- (Minus the fat) This is a review in the mirrors. Viewing angles can and normal, but the distortion of distances in the mirror is not normal. Here everything is just like the British, the Germans and the complete opposite of the more Japanese. Determine the distance to an object through a mirror is simply impossible, I for two years of operation and is not used to mirrors. Eh.

Now, driving experience.
+ Steering. Sharp, sharp, good ratio.
+ Dynamic Acceleration is simply mesmerizing, breathtaking. Joy and excitement was greater than after Honda Prelude 2.2, more than 2.0 toyota celica, almost like on toyota soarer 3.0.
+ Gear ratio is calculated only for the city and for the standard 7.8 seconds to hundreds.
- Go on the road more than a hundred are not comfortable. Lequiller comfort felt only at speeds of 80-90km / h Yes, and at a speed of 100 km / h at Wits or vingroude or airveyve or speed ... do not rise above 1300 and about 5-flow and current regulation. with the volume of 1.5L combustion engine. ***** at 100km / h speed in 2500, with 115 for 3000. When driving over an hour head buzzing noise.
- Transmission on an old wreck, Fiat has not changed, no switching clear synchronizers operate poorly, and it's not just my model, went 3-for Mito and Juliet 2, all such. No ban gearshift clutch pedal is not pressed.
- There is no prohibition to the starter gear engaged.
+ Self-adjusting clutch, I do not know what will result, but I think a plus.
+ Brakes are excellent, and as probably all modern cars.
- Rough work abs.
- brake discs made ​​of soft metal. According to his passport considered a consumable item and rear changed at 100000km when the Japanese front and back at 250000km when needed.
- Clearance, measured at the center of the car and is 140mm, which is not to say the clearance of the front bumper, and about protection of the engine I generally keep quiet, though not silent - 93mm.
- Lack of baffles in the fuel tank, skidding on a slippery road and a half tank hard to align the car straight as much fuel tank walks in and pulls the body back and forth.
- Insulation, well, maybe it's just quibbling. Cheap cars are like that. You want comfort, take an executive car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To experiment and curiosity took absorber in a stretched state (set label) and compressed to the baffle plate (put a label). Then he took the stand and put it on her bump. Result in the photo below.
From what we saw, we see that the rear shock move from min to max is 8 centimeters. Front shock absorber 7 centimeters.
Now I understood why in small pits and bumps to hit hodovke strikers backlash at 4 cm - 4 cm from the zero mark.
Bump on the photo stands back to front for clarity of the presentation line max.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now a little history of the Italian car in the harsh Russian winter.

Trip to Bureysky District. January 2014.
I once had to go to and then in Novobureysky Doldykan. It is about 280-290 km from my town. Nothing unusual there.
Got up at 6:00 am, started the car. The thermometer -30°C exactly. Breakfast, washed, dressed and went. Time 6:40. Transmission frozen, rattles, engine behaves normally. Somewhere at 7:30 enables "D" and flew. Fly, turn, need to slow down, and almost no brakes. Pedal as tight without an amplifier. I press the clutch, barely barely surfing gear, release the pedal and she slowly returned to the original. Five seconds back.
Little scared, stopped at the roadside and began to stomp the pedal and the gear lever to pull. Transmission and frozen brake clutch. I think, come to N.Bureysk friends help.
Food. mission like medieval carts, hand coolant drops to 80C. Turn the heater fan speed by 1. Temperature began to rise. I looked at the dashboard, and there behind shows -36°C. I have to N.Bureyska half way (110km), and there just below the frost -40°C. I was not mistaken. Came to Bureya. Friend was not at home, no one to help, well, I'm not angry sobo. Food to the nearest shop, climb in the trash, take out a cardboard box and a pair of nylon ropes. Street -41C, numb hands without gloves, scarf snot instead can be used, even to this breeze.
Well cut cardboard, tied the strings and went to Doldykan (15 km north).
Prizzhayu in Doldykan, engine temperature did not rise above 80°C, fan on the stove on 1. Gearbox switches with great difficulty, clutch barely works. Cardboard torn off by the wind. Overboard -46°C.
Colleges watered me tea, warmed. I sit and think what to do, it is necessary to return home. See nowhere and saw a plastic bag lying in the corner. It dawned on me. In the trunk was a roll of tape. Take the package to run the car, open the trunk and exactly roll of lies. Well to celebrate, and let me tape to seal the intake and for-cooler. Scotch breaks in the cold again, I untwist, smooth, glue and glue. A pack just put the holes in the grille, giving the air flow, the two nostrils that would leave the machine choked.
All the way back I was warm and calm, because the heater warmed by hot air and transmission, though not entirely clear but does not work better. Clutch became better work. Here and on arrival home Russian hero long thought, why he did not do in the fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a 2009 155TB Mito (114,000km, 1,250,000 yen) for nearly a month now. So far it's mainly done town driving but I was able to take it out for a 600km highway cruise yesterday afternoon / evening. Having done that, I feel able to give a more balanced assessment of my experience so far. This is my first alfa and my first 'nice' car, having driven 660 cc 'kei' cars for the last four years. Needless to say it wouldn't have taken much to impress me!.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 1.4 Lusso 95 BHP

Hi guys, ive recently just got my first car and after a while of trawling forums like this it's a mito, I feel like a very lucky boy! I thought I'd post my thoughts/review on the car as a new driver.

It's used of course, a 2009 95HP lusso with 80k miles on the clock. First of all I just can't get over how good it looks, with most of my mates having boring corsas and toyotas etc it's by far the most eye catching. I actually just spent 10 mins on the drive just now looking at it from every angle for no reason other than how beautiful it is. The insurance was ridiculously cheap for a young driver, comparable with Citroen C1s etc which made getting the mito Much easier financially.
Ive had it for a few days and done a bit of every type of driving (using a whole tank in the process, after my first ever refuelling i know why everyone complains about petrol prices so much!). I learnt in a 1.4 Vauxhall and a 1.2 fiat 500, and the first thing that hit me was how much faster this car is, being so much smaller than the Vauxhall and more powerful than the fiat I found myself accidentally going faster and revving harder than I felt comfortable with, which I guess means that the basic 1.4 was the right option for me, the turbo versions would have been overkill for a first car. I found the throttle didn't have much feel, I couldn't really tell how much pressure i was putting on the pedal, but with a bit of time and some thinner shoes im getting used to it. It is a bit bigger than most small hatchbacks, and ive been crawling out of the drive at a snails pace in case I touch the wall with the bonnet, im terrified of anything other than me touching it!
The seats are comfortable with far much more room in the back than the fiat, I took the family to the beach in it at the weekend and parents could sit comfortably in the back without middle-aged grumbling about aches and pains. Mine came with a parrot Bluetooth unit fitted so I can play tunes through Bluetooth, aux-in, iPod dock or whatever and the speakers are good, not perfect but good enough! It has the red lusso interior trim which looks awesome, again setting the car apart from its used-hatchback rivals at the same price point.
I like the DNA system, although I do wish that the steering was a bit heavier in normal. Because it's so light it tends to follow bumps and the road camber quite a lot, which makes it a bit harder for me to keep perfectly straight as it seems that the first couple of degrees of turn on the wheel don't have much of an effect. This has its payoff though as it makes manouvering so much easier especially as im inexperienced. I was thinking of fitting parking sensors too just to make this a bit easier as the lack of rear visibility makes me a bit of a wuss when parallel parking etc. I like being able to flick it into dynamic as I leave the city, which makes the steering a lot heavier, although it does spring back into the middle a bit too easily meaning a bit more concentration is required. In lower gears though it seems to have access to power much sooner, meaning I can get on an A road, put it into second and it just roars off before I'm ready! Speaking of roaring, it sounds so much better than any other small 1.4 and the deep purr/growl it gives off makes it sounds like a car with much more power than 95HP. I was determined that I wouldn't be a boy racer, but sometimes when I hear that noise... Anyway! The gearbox is nice, not quite as nice as the one in the fiat 500 which you could flick through gears in pretty much just by breathing on the gearstick, but it is smooth- although it doesn't like changing into 5th unless I give it a few more revs or speed, but once I'm there I can drop it back down to 35/40 mph. The power in 3rd and 4th is nice, I can get up hills in 3rd which the fiat could only do in 1st and 2nd, evening slowing down for other cars then getting back up to speed can be done all in 3rd.
There are of course a few problems which I guess you'd expect from a 6 year old used car- twice now when parking at full lock the power steering has cut out, which scared me the first time and I'm going to get someone to look at it. The gearstick gaiter is very worn so ive ordered a set of gear and handbrake gaiters, black leather with red stitching, which should look sweet; unfortunately the plastic retaining ring at the base seems to have snapped and been bodged by a previous owner and the gaiter has actually now come off, meaning im going to have to bodge it again myself. Ive looked all over the internet and can't find a replacement retaining ring, if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know!!
Some of the interior plastics are shoddy as well, especially the door handles, so I'm going to get a couple of matching leather covers for those which should make opening and shutting the doors a bit nicer.

Overall, I love the car to bits. It has its problems but it isn't new, but as my mum said- I could have got a euro box for the same price which would have worked perfectly, instead I decided to go for something more fun and better looking, and having a few problems is pretty much what I signed up for when doing that. It's all worth it though, little touches like the labels on the dials being in Italian and the Rev counter being easier to see than the first quarter of the speedo makes it what it is- an alfa!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everybody. It has been some time I posted something. Must say I enjoyed your reviews! I'm still faithful to the Alfa brand. Haven been so since 1998. My first Mito was a 155tb. When I test drove it on a mountainroad(at the time I had a Brera 3.2 q4; it put a smile on my face from ear to ear; the agility and the sense of speed it gave me in comparison to the Brera! A Brera needs 'room' to enjoy....I drove this Mito for about 38.000 km with an average of 7.4l/100km. It was time for a new Alfa; I drove a 159 estate with 140hp and I liked it. Then the dealership let me drive a Mito QV with active suspension....so different the way it handled itself on the road! It seemed another car. I found myself driving the 155tb almost continously in D. But the QV was more than ok in N. I drove it for 52.000 km with an average of 6,93km/l. Only problem I ever noted was when the engine was cold; driving over a bump in the morning I would notice lack of power for an instant. Searching through forums I read something about a faulty sensor in combination with the acceleration pedal. Than, one day, I drop by the dealership for an oil change and my eye catches a Mito with an opaque Magnesium Grey paintjob. And a TCT. I concur I was curious about the TCT and I loved the opaque look. Since that day I've covered about 55.000 km with an average of 7,38l/100km(sorry about the metric values). It's difficult to compare theTCT to the manual Mito(anyhow, a new Mito Qv can't be had anymore anyhow without a TCT). I drive a lot when going and coming back from work and I must say the TCT is relaxing to drive when you need it to. Only when going uphill the gearbox tends to higher revs before changing, which means I manually overrule. The hiccups, power lack after bumps or abrupt trajectory changes with the engine cold haven't happened yet. I mostly drive in D, because of the changes made by the active suspension. I found the car 'lacked'something under 3000 rpm and went for an 'upgrade' made by Savali(Ronald Vermeulen), just the eprom. After that things changed! Last summer I went back for some little changes to the tune and since then my Mito goes like a bat when I need it to. Compared to the manual gearbox I notice I drive maybe a bit more aggressive. It's the TCT which elicits this behaviour. Because of the opaque paintjob I learned about detailing. At first I thought it would be less maintenance and then I found out that opaque paint needs 'special' care. Probably my next Alfa will not be opaque...:wink: Not one of these three Mito's ever used oil. What can I say... there's many more and more modern hot hatches out there...but hey, I drive an Alfa, and I love it!

201 - 219 of 219 Posts