Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad times:cry:

Leaving the M42 in pouring rain this morning I lost power steering in Clare's GT. I manhandled it off the slip road, narrowly missing the divider (that was scary), looked down to see no warning lights just the revs on zero:eek:

Whilst still rolling, I let the clutch up & all seemed fine. Drove off and the same thing happened again but this time the engine sounded rough & squeaky.

Got to work (close to the M way exit) & after speaking to Ned, called the AA.

Explained the situation to the chap and relayed the do not start message. AA man checked the oil & it looked empty:wow:

Since having the rebuilt & running it in, I've been overly anal in checking the oil. It was 3/4 on the dipstick on Saturday but I added enough to top to the max. Car has done c70 miles since.

Slight sign of external leakage but AA man said the exhausts were sooty & oily.

Car has been recovered to Autolusso so I trust in Ned to get this sorted, especially after a £kkk spend in November:(

Now running around in a new i30. Surprisingly nice:) Got it FOC for 72 hours. Not sure after that:(

Anyway, sad pics. Look away if you're of a sensitive disposition!!

Any guesses as to the problem?

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Jeepers Si.:( as you know well, no oil is bad news in an Alfa and there must be a serious leak somewhere in the system to loose that much so quickly. Mind, did he check oil on a warm engine? if so then you never get a reading so i would stop worrying about lack off oil until its measured on a cold engine.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeepers Si.:( as you know well, no oil is bad news in an Alfa and there must be a serious leak somewhere in the system to loose that much so quickly.
Indeed:cry:

I'm just glad I took it today & the weather was so crap.

I missed the V divider between the M42 & the Solihull slip by a foot when the steering went heavy. Clare would have been toast if she'd not been working from home:eek:

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I bet you felt alive after that today, pleased nothing more serious happened and im sure Clare's Bella will be grand, probably find its just an electrical gremlin with all this awful weather?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Jeepers Si.:( as you know well, no oil is bad news in an Alfa and there must be a serious leak somewhere in the system to loose that much so quickly. Mind, did he check oil on a warm engine? if so then you never get a reading so i would stop worrying about lack off oil until its measured on a cold engine.
god help everyone changing their oil on cars :confused:cold engine hot engine be hardly any difference at all ..or hot oil fairies put more in :cheese:

sorrry to hear your bad experience not good but was car on level ground?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i reckon AA man has mis read oil ...newly built engine ..new oil ? he wouldnt see oil on dipstick as it was probably too clean to see

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the oil on my level drive on Saturday when the car was cold (covered in ice).

The AA man checked it warm with the car leaning slightly downhill towards from the drivers side.

There was no trace on the dipstick & the zorsts were oily & sooty.

There was so much spray today I'd not have seen any smoke:(

Hopefully something minor but I'm thinking not.......

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I checked the oil on my level drive on Saturday when the car was cold (covered in ice).

The AA man checked it warm with the car leaning slightly downhill towards from the drivers side.

There was no trace on the dipstick & the zorsts were oily & sooty.

There was so much spray today I'd not have seen any smoke:(

Hopefully something minor but I'm thinking not.......
has your car got oil level sensor on start up?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
those 3 pics will haunt me tonight. Puts my Maf issues into perspective.. hope the outcome is all good...

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Fingers crossed it is something simple SR, but the power steering going and the noise would worry me somewhat!

Mine has the oil gauge on start up, but have never relied on that.

A red GT on the back of an AA truck.......fills me with dread for some reason.

Good luck with the diagnosis. Let us know, at least she is in safe hands.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't trust the oil level indicator on the Brera. I check them weekly, without fail.

The GT has used minimal amounts post rebuild & the after running in 1k oil change. I've put under 1/2 litre in, 250 of that on Saturday.

The Brera uses none at all, neither did my last on or my 2.2Ti.

London tomorrow but on a train:(

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
Hope it's not too bad, but from what you say it sounds fairly terminal :( Having no oil on the motorway is never good news :eek: The main thing is that you didn't connect with the armco because that really would have messed your day up ! ;)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Sorry to hear this Si. Glad you're ok and all gets sorted soon.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
If you had no oil at all the light would have been on before the engine stopped. No matter how much care is taken during the build of an engine, sometimes things still go wrong, I'm sure Ned will be just as anxious to find out what went wrong as you are. Glad you are OK SR.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh dear, hope it's nothing too serious............but it doesn't look too good.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you had no oil at all the light would have been on before the engine stopped. No matter how much care is taken during the build of an engine, sometimes things still go wrong, I'm sure Ned will be just as anxious to find out what went wrong as you are. Glad you are OK SR.
Quite true mate - things go wrong, end of, it's how the're rectified that matters & on that count, I have every faith in Ned sorting it out quickly & painlessly:thumbs:

·
Registered
144 Posts
My clutch went at the Solihull junction of the M42 just before Christmas, I wonder if it was the same AA man that towed mine off, he must be getting used to GTs by now:lol:

1 - 20 of 177 Posts