Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relive the golden days of motor racing as the Historic Sports Car Club visits Oulton Park on August bank holiday 2009.

Take a trip down memory lane as the Gold Cup returns to Oulton Park and a host of the finest saloon cars, sports cars and single seaters from the 50s, 60s and 70s roll back time around the Cheshire track. The sights and sounds of a glorious racing past are sure to spark nostalgia in the most competitive racing historic motorsport has to offer.

Highlights will include:

• 40th anniversary celebration of the first ever Formula 5000 race in the UK, which took place at Oulton Park

• Special display and parade to celebrate Mini’s golden anniversary

• Demonstrations by the British Historic Rally Championship (BHRC) on the circuit's exclusive Rally Stage

• Celebration of 40 years of The Italian Job

Oulton Park Race Circuit - The Official Oulton Park Motorsport Site

Went last year and was a very good weekend. Included some Alfas in the TC touring car races. Trade stands and local car club displays. Highligh was the pre 1972 F1 cars. Shall be attending again this year, take advantage of the on-line ticket discounts.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I went to the second day of this a couple of years ago,
It was a great day out, some of the old 'monster' engined cars
make the ground shake and spit flames for fun:cool:

Think i will go again:)

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
I'll be there - all three days! Might be worth pointing out that Saturday, the 29th, isn't, to the best of my knowledge, open to the public.

The Gold Cup is, for me, Oulton's best car meeting of the year - some fantastic cars, great atmosphere, good, clean racing & as a bonus the weather's usually good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great day out this!!! done it few times now one of the best days at Oulton always great fun:thumbs:

Enough interest why not put on a stcky?
K

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went last year, great days out. The open pit means you can see the cars being set up and the chicane by Knickerbrook enable some good track action photo opportunities or Lodge corner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I will have to disguise the Alfa as a Saab again this year. Last parked the Alfa on some raised hard standing by the bridge at Clay hill. When I returned my freshly cleaned Alfa glass was full of cupped hand prints!!! Sereral people asked for a look around the Alfa, nice to see they are a petrolhead fav.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I only live 15 minutes away and I've got a season pass for Oulton, so it'd be rude not to :thumbs:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used to go to many of the meetings at Oulton Park in the sixties, and the Gold Cup was one of the best of the year. The Formula One teams used to turn up, even though it wasn't on the calendar, it was such a popular circuit. I think I was at the first Formula 5000 race, as my father worked for the Gold Cup sponsors, The Daily Express, and was able to get tickets and entry to the paddock. It was nothing like the regimented, corporate event that F1 is now, you could walk round and meet all the drivers. I particularly remember Jochen Rindt and Jim Clark, as well as one year getting to sit in a GT40. The shock of seeing the Ford Galaxy racing against Mini's and the noise and flames as mentioned of cars like the AC Cobras and even those F5000's was real excitement for a teenager. My father was an engineer and commented in the paddock that the Galaxy sounded like a bag of spanners as it warmed up, but had to revise that quickly when we saw and heard it on the track. Even the Clubman meets were great fun, with sit up and beg Ford Pops racing new(!) Anglias and those trendy Lotuses. I ended up helping one guy who had been banned from driving his Marcos 1800 on the road, but still had his competition licence, so persuaded his g/f to drive to Oulton with it on a trailer. He had no mechanic or help from the g/f, so I ended up as his pit crew! :thumbs:
I suppose it all stayed with me, which is why I bought the Bella Alfa, even though it is only a diesel!:) I will check the diary and with her indoors and see what the chances are of getting there 40 years on!:lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
It`s always a good meeting.

I was racing my Sprint#57 in 70s Roadsports,but I`ve changed back to my Alfetta GTV still #57.Good number of Alfas in the 70s race.We will all get blown away by the Jensen Healeys and 924 in our class,but it should be a good battle for fastest Alfa.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts