Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a good start to my friday morning - was just heading to work and stopped to let a bus come past and a bloody van rams me up the rear...at first glance the damage didn't look too bad but the rear quarter has been pushed in meaning the boot doesn't close properly and the bumper is a bit worse for wear.

The guy was all apologetic at the time but when i phone his boss half an hour later to get some more details they are blaming me for being "stopped in the middle of the road"....grrrr :(

Anyway, i'm pretty sure my insurance company will be able to sort it out in terms of blame and strangely i seem to have legal assist cover (which i don't normally take!) so they can do the leg work.

What i'm worried about though is that the insurance company write the old girl off and give me a pittance as the book value must be very low - can i insist on a repair since it wasn't my fault or am i screwed??

·
Registered
831 Posts
well techincally he ran into your rear so it is his fault end of!!!!

at least that is the way it has always been with insurance as they are not aware of the roads etc.

depens on how bad teh damage is and if it can be pushed out or if a major repair is needed.

but as you say they may just say nope and here is the.

you could buy her back of them and do it yourself though if worse come to worse

if not mmm can i be first vulture for your DSP etc.

hehe

Good luck

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i guess it will depend on what the body shop reckons....hopefully the rear quarter could be pulled back out but even then the paint costs and labour will be pretty high :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
you can get a payment in lieu of repair then have it fixed yourself.

but if your using an accident management company press for repair, it's not your fault, those guys insurance can pay for it all.

:)

sEan

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers sean - i'm certainly going to push for repair if possible...if it was just the bumper and boot lid i'd take the cash and run and try and source the bits but i reckon pulling out the rear quarter would be pricey, even if i knew a tame bodyshop!

·
Registered
237 Posts
That is real bad luck and i know these accidents happen but to see your pride and joy damaged is allways upsetting as i think us Alfa owners get more attached to the cars and see them as more than machines, Still no one hurt hopefully
Good luck and save her if you can:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll do my best aa :D The car is worth far more to me than it's market value and it has good memories...was our wedding car, took our wee daughter home from hospital and has been used for several family holidays...pesky white van man spoiling norma's pert bum :(

·
Registered
831 Posts
dont let em try and blame you

the old adage of the person in rear is at fault is very applicable.

do you have a friendly bodyshop nearby who could give you a good deal on work if required?

btw wasnt being callous about your bits!!!! I truly hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
I feel yer pain Niall..hanging is too good for these expetives.
the bravo was scudded the NSR 1/4 panel (whit a mess)by a big 4x4 years ago and they didnae huv the decency to leave details..no witnesses etc..well over a grand at the body shop ..so i removed the interior trim and kicked it oot...well better than it was but not as good as a body shop.

the orion was scudded a few times by different selish inconsiderate expletives. goat the salvage and fixed her up more than once.,...give norma a wee kick oot if at all possible.

you should see what I am attempting wie the bravo jist now..winter weather will put the stoippers on but if I hadnt jist stuck oan o new subframe at the front and done both rear swinging arms she would have went to the scrappy.

PS as said As soon as you run into someone ,no matter what its you fault.End of.Unless ofg course they failed to give way at a jcn and you run into then.

Pomeo

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
284 Posts
sorry to hear that Niall

Had similar damage to mine a few years back. I was stopped a lights on a dual carraigeway and a young driver in a Yaris hit me from behind. I had seen him just as I was putting on the hand break, he was tuning his radio, so hit the horn, relased the breaks and waited for the hit. I'd left plenty of room between me a the car in front. Lots of bit of Yaris everywhere.

The 166 need a new bumper and the boot floor needed a bit of a straightening. But the Toyota looked like it was toast. Similar to you, the boot wouldn't close. Must be a crumple zone back there.

Unsed a local body shop who also touched up a few minor scratches as part of the work. Nice and shiney afterwards. The only down side, the replacement bumper was an new part but need to be sprayed and the paint bubbled about a yaer later. Repair guy fixed it gratis when I showed him. Have recommended him to any one who needed their car straightended ever since.

v.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Mine was a '51' with only 28,000 miles. Bumped the rear quarter and was told it would cost more to repair than it was worth. :(

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well a wee development this afternoon was that i got a call from the drivers boss who is hoping to just pay for the repair without going through the insurance (says his fleet insurance is already £8k!!) and is mates with a bodyshop owner so i'll pop along on monday and see what he makes of it.....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Bad luck Niall. Hopefully the guy will get his bodyshop mate to repair it for you without going through the insurance. I think if it went to the insurance company it would be written off due to the age/value of the car.

Good luck. :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i went to the body shop place that the owner of the van knows and they can't do the work as it requires a new rear quarter, bumper and probably put on a jig. Now looks like it's over to the insurance company to probably offer me heehaw for the old girl as i can't imagine they'll poney up more than it's worth to fix it.

It's a real shame as it didn't seem to bad when i first looked at it after the thump but you can see the extent of the deformation below...

Not looking forward to this process as i know it's going to be a total ball ache with me ending up with little or no money and no car :(

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'm not sure how it all works but if you really want it fixed just dig your heels in and insist that's what they do. It's not your fault that the accident happened so why should you be the one to miss out!

Mind you, my Fiat Coupe got rear ended a good few years ago and looked not disimilar to the damage your 166 has sustained. I'm sure the guy in the bodyshop (Porsche Official Repair Centre in Glasgow!) mentioned it had cost over £3k to repair it. Ironically the repair wasn't great and it had to go back in and be re-done. Direct Line hate me! :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts