Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along the M25 last week and 5th gear just disappeared. Thought it might be the nut that holds 5th gear in place had come loose and took it to Rusper Alfa trying to stay optimistic. Just got the call from the garage. 5th gear knackered. Loads of play in the auxiliary and main shafts. Plus a little oil feed at the rear of the box just isn't there. Sounds like it's been apart before and not put back together properly. Preparing myself for open wallet surgery. They may have a recon box lying around or they may have to source one. Does anyone know how much recon 5 speed JTS boxes are? Seen ones on EBay from Denmark for £1k but assume that is just someone trying it on. Hoping for something around the £200 mark. Am I being too optimistic? Whoever buys this car after me will be getting a bargain. It's like Trigger's broom!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try Stephen Clarke of Clarkes Alfa Breakers in Oldbury West Mids 07580 554160. I've just purchased a six speed box for a 147 from him good price and excellent service

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
My 2nd hand box was £110 ... Plus fitting, new clutch, new slave and feed pipe ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I have a 2.0ltr jts box just come out of a car I broke worked fine no noises I am in Kent. I would like £100 for it, I would be willing to let you put it in and try it before you pay as I am confident its good. Txt me any questions 07947155198 . John
Thanks John. That is really helpful. The guys at Rusper Alfa are going to call me today to let me know what they have for me. I have no transport to pick anything up so I'll see what they can source for me and let them know about your gearbox if they don't have anything available at a reasonable cost. Thanks. Simon.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I've got a 1.6 gearbox lying about you can have for £50.
Has 80k on it but works fine.

It'll give you more acceleration but will probably knock 1-2mpg off your average fuel consumption in a 2.0.

I'm based in Sutton Coldfield.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it helps I can deliver but I would have to ask for some petrol money on top and I could only do it on Sunday as I am at work the rest of the time

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Pretty sure there is something different about the 2.0 JTS gearbox in the GT, something to do with the selector or gear cable mounting bracket? Something that can't simply be swapped over from one box to another. Its been a few years since I've changed one of these and I can recall there was an issue but can't remember exactly what it was. Just be careful, make sure any gearbox you buy has the same selector & brackets on the top as your original box or it might not fit.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Couldn't you just swap the brackets across regardless

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Couldn't you just swap the brackets across regardless
You can when putting a 156 box in a 147 or vice versa, but in this case with the GT it couldn't be done and the replacement box had to come back out again and the correct one sourced and fitted. I wish I could remember exactly what the issue was but it was ages ago. Definitely a GT JTS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses guys. The people at Rusper Alfa have got a box that they have checked over so they might as well put that in. It's actually OK price wise but of course the labour charges and vat mean it's a pretty painful experience. Unfortunately I have no ramp and no time to do it myself so that's the way it'll have to be. The upside is that they reckon they'll be able to sort out the slop at the gear lever while they're at it. I thought it was stretched selector cables but they reckon it's more likely the selector arms and bushes on top of the box. It hasn't put me off Alfas though. Having bought a few older cars with high mileage over the last few years I can say with confidence that this is just what happens sometimes. 2 Golf GTIs cost me similar money and even when I had my "dull but worthy Toyota Corolla period" (thankfully short lived) that cost me a few hundred quid in repairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts