Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dismantled everything to change the head gasket and I have found a few left over pieces, as you do... :D Most of these are odd fasteners, hoseclips and washers that I must have replaced with new ones .. I hope :lol:

But I have an orphaned pipe. It runs from the top of the expansion tank to somewhere near the back of the thermostat housing... but for the life of me I can't see where it's supposed to attach to.

There is also a small "s" shaped pipe attached to the right hand side of the head by the thermostat and I can't see where that goes either.

Anyone able to point them in the right direction?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The two pipes don't fit together do they Ralf?

That could explain the clips and that tube (That you didnt mention!) that are left over

Paulus

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worked out that the little "S" pipe connects to the inlet manifold.. I'm guessing the hose from the header tank must go to the back of the manifold too...

I can dig out the manifold and have a look... I was focussing just on the pipery around the thermostat... :)

Ralf S.

·
Administrator
46,103 Posts
If the tube is coming out of the top of the expansion tank, might it just be a pressure let off, and therefore supposed to go nowhere?

Incidentally, I once replaced a petrol tank on a crappy old Astravan, and the new one had an extra outlet... So we sealed it up with body putty :eek:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
on the 8v, the small hose from the expansion tank goes to the throttle body, and from there to the thermostat housing. This is a fairly common arrangement. Check if your TB is connected up.

Alternatively, you could bypass the TB, especially in summer, as it's an antifreeze thing, but will cost you horses...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
on the 8v, the small hose from the expansion tank goes to the throttle body, and from there to the thermostat housing. This is a fairly common arrangement. Check if your TB is connected up.

Alternatively, you could bypass the TB, especially in summer, as it's an antifreeze thing, but will cost you horses...
What I was thinking, the pipe from the expansion tank should be the one that mounts to the inlet manifold as it crasses the engine, then as CS says it attaches to the TB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts