Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Which car would you buy?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The recent waves of Retro US Muscle cars has left me with a dilemma. Which do i want. The Original, or the Retro version?

Now it seems the Italians are jumping on the bandwagon, - the new Miura might be a reality soon.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Edit: the poll goes for all retro vs original, not just the Miura. GT40 vs GT, Cobra vs new Cobra etc...

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
I like the original better. The Miura was a great car in many ways, the gorgeous design, the mid engine, the sound, the power. It became a real icon for car enthousiasts.

I like the new version as well, but nothing beats the original.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think you need to extend the options for answering. For me it is not as clear cut as saying original versus retro. It is a case by case, so for example I like the new Mustang, or GT40 or the new Mini, but I do not like the new Beetle, nor do I like the sound of the Miura very much.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Well it depends whether you are looking for an old or new car.

If I am looking for a classic car obviously the original is (usually but not always) the best one to go for as in my recent purchase of a chrome bumper sprint.

However if lets say I had to choose between a old GT40 and a new Ford Gt - I would choose the new GT because it simply looks better.

Same with the Mustang - new version looks way better.

BMW Mini V old Mini - ah its the BMW mini (cooper) for me thanks.

New beetle V's old - I have the old one - new one is a girls car and looks too 'Barbie doll' for a guy to be seen dead in.

Of course a lot of the weight when making a decision would come down to money - usually the older version is much cheaper than the new - we all can become very conscious of the benefits of originality when it would mean buying the car that would save us €20,000. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
44,770 Posts
I like retro touches (I probably wouldn't own a Fiat Coupe if I didn't) but I don't generally like the 'let's just copy something people liked before' stance, a la MINI and Beetle.
That said I do like the new 'Stang, and that's an unashamed copy. But then, you never exactly saw a lot of the old 'Stang this side of the pond, so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
vamos said:
I think you need to extend the options for answering. For me it is not as clear cut as saying original versus retro. It is a case by case, so for example I like the new Mustang, or GT40 or the new Mini, but I do not like the new Beetle, nor do I like the sound of the Miura very much.
I voted retro because I prefer the look. Can't agree about the GT - much prefer the look of the original GT40 (I'd have one tomorrow if someone was offering :) ). And I find it difficult to think of the new mini as a mini - it's just too big, so I'd have the original everytime.

Having said that, I hate driving old cars, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite and would want the original, but to drive like the retro version :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
lynnb said:
I voted retro because I prefer the look. Can't agree about the GT - much prefer the look of the original GT40 (I'd have one tomorrow if someone was offering :) ). And I find it difficult to think of the new mini as a mini - it's just too big, so I'd have the original everytime.

Having said that, I hate driving old cars, so I'm a bit of a hypocrite and would want the original, but to drive like the retro version :rolleyes:
impeccable ladies logic there Lynn, I do believe that's why they make cars with a retro look ;) :D

It is a tough one though and I'd have to take it car by car, generally if it's looks that i was after i'd go for the original, however although the old cars would be great to drive i do like such wonderfull modern simplicities such as fuel injection and no need to keep those large twin carbs in balance, not to mention playing with those greasy nipples every week ;)

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Not sure I can decide, I like the trend of recreating old designs, yet I still love the classic's. Like most things it's horses for courses, I'm pretty sure the new Muira would drive a whole lot better than the original so if it's to uses as an everyday drive then the new, if however it's bought just for the shear love of owning an icon, the new one is missing the point.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Has to be the original for me if I was buying one with my own money, at least if the new version was a "deliberately" retro effort, rather than a daring modern re-interpretation - I'm all for that! :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which model would Ferrari pick for a Retro? a Dino perhaps? I bet a Retro Masser Merak would be a hit.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Retro for sure, :D At least the techonology are up to late 80`s european models :D

;)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uff...just got a "vision" ;)

Could you imagine Alfa doing a retro Montreal... V8! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Original for me, I don't generally like this regurgitation of old designs. That said, I really do like the new mustang, but I think it just about comes across as modern looking enough for me. Definately don't like the charger and challenger, and am not happy about the idea of the Muira either. Ford GTs a tricky one, I don't think it looks as good as the original, but its undeniably a great car underneath...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts