Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm useless with this sort of thing - I've got a 99T 156 with the original stereo (the silver alpine that actually fits the hole) which I like the look of. I was hoping to fit the Alpine CHA S634 MP3 compatible 6CD changer but I'm struggling to find out if this is a viable option. It would seem that an adaptor cable for M Bus systems prior to 2001 is necessary (KCA 130B) but this is quite an old stereo. Anyone be able to point me in the right direction? or suggest a suitable (cheapish) alternative? ultimate sound quality isn't a priority - i listen to radio 4 radio 5 and crap music, just like the convenience of MP3. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
If it helps, the original radio is an Alpine 932.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I can't provide evidence to my answer, but I suspect that it will only work as a CD changer, not as an MP3 CD changer if you have to use an M bus adapter.

If you ask one of the mods to move your In Car Entertainment (ICE) post to the right forum, you may get some more replies...

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
if it's a factory alpine headunit, the CHA series changers are not compatible. the factory headunits use alpine's 'M-bus' connection/communication, and the CHA series are 'Ai-NET'.

whilst you can use an Ai-NET headunit to run an M-bus changer, it can't work the other way around.

:)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
See, like the answer shiny gave (he usually hangs out in ICE) ;)

I would just swap the HU, its not really that much of a cost in the long run, and you get a lot more functionality.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Also you can get HU with built in USB/memory card support so you wouldn't need a seperate CD/MP3 changer ... or I'm sure there is third party product that plays MP3's from a memory card that can plug into the standard HU by tricking it into thinking that it's a normal CD changer ... but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts