Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wearing an Alfa shirt the other evening, whilst giving a music lesson to a young lad, who asked why there was a St. George cross in the Alfa badge. He thought it was a football crest, and had accurately noticed that several Continental football clubs include St. George crosses in their club crests - AC Milan and Barcelona, to name two - because they were founded by Englishmen.

My understanding has always been that in certain parts of Italy, they believe that St. George killed a sea serpent, whereas we believe he killed a dragon, of course. I've always believed this to be the source of the badge.

Does anyone know if I'm right, or have I fed a 9 year-old pupil a load of nonsense? Ta.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The cross & serpent are symbols representing the city of Milan, the symbols themselves are something to do with the crusades as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
Cheers Selespeed, very informative. I always wondered about the poor sod being eaten by the serpent and now I know :cool:

·
Registered
39,272 Posts
This is answered alo in great depth on Wikipedia.

www.wikipedia.org

There are also lots of other Alfa facts on there which may be of interest.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You just know in England the badge would have had to been politically corrected.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In England, image consultants would change it ten times in five years, then the company would go bust anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts