Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Almost ready for removal of engine, gearbox and prop shaft. Then off to media blaster...

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Cleaned up... apart from the damage on the nose it looks like it had a knock on the right rear fender at some point. Overall not bad for a 47 year old Alfa though.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Getting ready to weld

It's been a long time since my last post. Happy to report some good progress. Also very impressed with the level of skill and attention to detail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Looking great. Do you have pics of the inner/middle sill sections?
Unfortunately didn't take any photos of them. They are fortunately in good condition. The bottom of the a-pillars and one of the b-pillars needed some work though.

Earlier photos...

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
bodywork progress

Here are some more photos of the latest progress. It's almost time to make a final decision on body colour.

Could anyone perhaps help with details on how these cars were painted at the facory in Rosslyn in the early 70's? We've seen some cars with the undercarriage painted black and sometimes even the engine bays black. We don't really want to copy what the cars were painted like in other markets. We're definitely not planning to sell the car and want to make it just a good looking and practical driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Front end

I can’t believe it’s been 9 months since my last post. But that’s the way restorations go. Other insurance related repairs get priority above restoration work at most workshops. A lot of patience is required, indeed.

Finally there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel - the bodywork tunnel that is. Hopefully the undercarriage will get painted with stone chip and colour in 2 weeks and the rest of the body will get the first coat of primer in the next month or so. The front end has now been repaired and I’m quite happy with the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Back to stock

As the title of this thread says we were initially planning on a restomod build in bright orange.

Since then we have changed our minds though and will be restoring the car back to it’s original specifications.
Nostalgia has won the day: my dad used to own a 1750 gtv in dark ochre with black interior and that’s the way we’re gonna go. It’s not a popular colour but certainly unique and very 70’s. We’ve also decided to go with the original 14” wheels and hubcaps.

Some old photos of my dad’s car and some photos of the wheels and hubcaps.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts