Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching 5th Gear this morning, and they had a section on fuel. They tested 3 cars on 3 different fuels, which basically showed that the more powerful the engine, the more the fuel made a difference. The scooby made 15bhp more using optimax over supermarket fuel. So who here uses Optimax, and does it make a difference? I'm thinking about running my car exclusivly on Optimax, as I dont do many miles anymore, and could justify the extra cost.

Info please!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I think that the ECU is a factor. I believe that the GTA ECU cannot take advantage of the extra RON .
I expect someone will be along soon who can expand on this but i believe that apart from cleaning adatives in the optimax, it is only the higher octane rating that is diferent than normal 95 ron and f your car cannot make use of it, then it is not going to be making more power for you.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I've been using BP Ultimate Diesel in my Car since I bought it new, and it has been brilliant all round. The only time I stopped for a couple of weeks was last Year when the price of Ultimate shot up to about £1:55 a ltr, I used City Diesel from Sainsburys instead, and I noticed a LOT of black smoke coming from my exhaust, and the Car just didn't seem to have to power I was used to. Fuel prices dropped back down, and I started using BP Ultimate again, and the smoke went, and the power returned, and I have been using it ever since. So it certainly works for my Car, and I won't be using City Diesel again !!!!!!......:thumbs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts