Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evo magazine did a test last year using a Jag, a Honda CTR and BMW Z3 Coupe.

It proved much cleaner enhancing performance and (I think economy). 'specially mid range.

I don't use anything but Optimax which in my opinion is the cheapest power boost you can give a petrol car.

:)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Optimax definately gives better mpg, but not sure by how much/tank.
It definately makes pick up at low revs MUCH smoother!
I pay 78.8 for it on Monday, normal unleaded was 73.9

It's about an extra £4 to fill up, so unsure whether the extra mpg offsets the extra ££'s, but it's worth it just for a smooth ride! :D
Didn't really notice any performance gain. frown

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Overhere in Portugal, we've just got the Shell V-power, that is told to be very similar to the Optimax. I haven't tried it yet.

The price is €1.08 per litre

·
Registered
609 Posts
I filled up with optimax for first time at weekend , definately starting to feel better
Paid 80.9 with norm at 75.9 :mad:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I have never been able to actually prove that Optimax gives better actual fuel economy as opposed to more distance out of a tank of fuel.
I have records covering about 160,000 kms here(pedantic petrol/distance collator) and actual fuel economy between a 95 ron and Optimax seems the same.
Example the car I used at the time to do comparion was a SEAT IBIZA GTi 2.0
Fuel economy averaged over about 5000 kms was 32-33 mpg before optimax and after Optimax.
Over the first 90,000 kms the average of total fuel used to total distance was 32.8
At this millage I changed to Optimax. After the car had done 140,,000 kms in total the average was 32.5 eek! Now I realise that 2 different fuels were used in the final average but you could expect the long term average to increase.
A possible answer may be car engine deterioration after 140,000 kms. Howver car did not use any oil, ran like a dream. So who knows.

Car definitely seemed to run better however and if I had to use a diferent petrol (95) Ron the car always seemed to not run as well. (possibly phsycological).
However I seemed to be able to travel furture on a tank of petrol (Optimax supposedly has higher density-more liters/tank)

·
Administrator
47,104 Posts
Your mpg might have gone down for another reason. You say the car drove better, did this encourage you to drive it quicker? :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bazza:
<strong>Your mpg might have gone down for another reason. You say the car drove better, did this encourage you to drive it quicker? :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What! me drive fast. Never :rolleyes: eek! :D
Unfortunately I do not think this is the case.
Best trip economy pre Optimax = 39 mpg and the same after Optimax :(
Same route and similar speeds etc.

However I still Use Optimax in my new 147 (well it was new 6 mths ago :D )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts