Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I haven't stuck this down/fitted this yet but wanted anyone's opinion on how it looks. Car is a Stromboli Grey Giulia Veloce.

I'm not convinced the backing tape would be enough to fit so would probably remove and fit with black Tigerseal to ensure a bit of flexibility in positioning when fitting. There is a tiny gap between the tape and bootlid on the right-hand side so not sure it would make suitable contact which is a bit of a worry.

Quality and packing of the item on the whole is superb but worried about fitting it!

See what you think (sorry for the dodgy number plate disguising!)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I fitted the same spoiler and despite concerns about the pre-installed backing tape, after careful pre-heating both the tape and the boot lid with a hair dryer before fitting using the masking tape method it has stayed rock solid over the last year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a little gap on one side. I bought some extra 3M tape, plus it was about 45° the day I did it so no need to warm up the tape .
The tape was enough to fill the gap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a little gap on one side. I bought some extra 3M tape, plus it was about 45° the day I did it so no need to warm up the tape .
The tape was enough to fill the gap

Yes, I have some extra tape anyway so may go that route. I just didn't want to see a gap if looking for it (if that makes sense). Did it fully resolve the problem for you? I'm too bl*ody fussy for my own good! I think it makes a fab back-end look even nicer plus it's very light. Will give it some consideration.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Remember to clean the surface with panel wipes and put some weight on the spoiler evenly overnight to allow the glue to fully bond. It should keep it stuck down like mine has.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, I have some extra tape anyway so may go that route. I just didn't want to see a gap if looking for it (if that makes sense). Did it fully resolve the problem for you? I'm too bl*ody fussy for my own good! I think it makes a fab back-end look even nicer plus it's very light. Will give it some consideration.
Yes it did. There's a good thread on here from I think @JNSD
I did make one mistake. When I did the temporary placement and marked it out with blue tape the bottom of the back lip was actually beyond the boot lid. I put the tape not quite to the edge but if you look under the spoiler you can see some of the tape.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had the same concerns before I fitted my cheap Chinese import too. But I needn't have worried. The supplied tape has been strong enough (18 months after fitting, no issues). I used some clamps to ensure a tight fit overnight as one (the right) side seemed to have a bit of lift in it initially. Obviously I'm biased because I've fitted one, but I think the car looks miles better with the spoiler. I passed a Veloce without one yesterday (a rare thing for me!) and it looked like it was missing something to me from the rear! As others have said, ensure surfaces are clean, and warm things up! I used some kids plasticene to build a frame to slot the spoiler into - didn't like the idea of getting the positioning wrong!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same concerns before I fitted my cheap Chinese import too. But I needn't have worried. The supplied tape has been strong enough (18 months after fitting, no issues). I used some clamps to ensure a tight fit overnight as one (the right) side seemed to have a bit of lift in it initially. Obviously I'm biased because I've fitted one, but I think the car looks miles better with the spoiler. I passed a Veloce without one yesterday (a rare thing for me!) and it looked like it was missing something to me from the rear! As others have said, ensure surfaces are clean, and warm things up! I used some kids plasticene to build a frame to slot the spoiler into - didn't like the idea of getting the positioning wrong!
Yes, there is a slight lift on the right. I couldn't live with a gap and am worried, that once stuck, it's there for life - although I'm sure there is a removal technique if it came to it. It does make the rear end look much more beefy I must admit. If it was a 100% perfect fit that you couldn't get wrong, I'd be more confident!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, there is a slight lift on the right. I couldn't live with a gap and am worried, that once stuck, it's there for life - although I'm sure there is a removal technique if it came to it. It does make the rear end look much more beefy I must admit. If it was a 100% perfect fit that you couldn't get wrong, I'd be more confident!
- Just for clarity - with the use of a clamp overnight, there is no lift or gap on my spoiler. It looks absolutely flush with the boot. I wouldn't have left it on if it had a gap. Go for it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Didn't bother with a clamp for mine; a good clean; lined it up and bang - it's on
I was a bit dubious about the 3M tape but it really is rock solid :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What clamps did you use and how did you clamp it?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What clamps did you use and how did you clamp it?
I borrowed a pair from a neighbour. I think they were by a manufacturer called Irwin - "Quick Grip" clamps which you can get at Screwfix. I wrapped the heads in cloth to avoid scratching the spoiler/boot. Tightened to a reasonable level and left overnight - one end on the spoiler itself, the other end in the recess where the number plate is.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
When I mocked my spoiler up on the boot it took a while to get it to a position where it looked ok, I always felt it looks 'out' no matter where I placed it.

Anyway, I took the plunge and fitted it and with a bit of weight on the spoiler to keep it seated for the first five minutes it went on perfectly. No faffing, no heating the boot lid or spoiler, didnt apply any alchohol based agents or bonding agents, just gave the boot lid a wipe and went for it. 6000 miles later and lots of motorway driving and its still perfect. Even the dealer said he was impressed with the 'cheap' £100 aftermarket spoiler. Spent the other £900 on QV alloy wheels :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts