Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm not new to Alfa's and wanted something more "sporty" so started looking at coupe's. Came across a nice looking GTV for sale and went for a viewing.

Car has had major work done to it - clutch, MAF, polybushed suspension etc. When I quizzed the guy on the phone about when cambelt was done his reply was "think it was done within the last 12 months".

Anyway, went to view it and looked good in the flesh. Paintwork tidy, wheels in good nick. Started the car all sounded sweet. Then he said "oh just to let you know I had the engine changed in 2011 for a lower mileage engine". So why didn't he tell me such an important detail on the phone? :confused::confused:

Took for a test drive, all tight and no bangs/crashes. I did notice the windows were misted up and never cleared properly during the test drive even with air con activated? Water leak maybe? Seemed dry everywhere inside and the boot.

Looked through the paperwork and on the receipt for the engine the aux belts/variator/cambelt were done but not the water pump or spark plugs? His view was the bill was expensive enough! :wow: :wow:

Just wondered what you guys thought? Any opinions gratefully received.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
The engine thing and water pump sound dodgy. You seem unsure your self. I suppose it depends on the cost but there will be others.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Sounds like an engine failure and replacement engine with unknown history.
Pretty much what he said!
Windows do get misty and will/should clear eventually, wouldn't worry about that.
Any 1 you buy you will have to do the belts at some point.
These cars are cheap and there are plenty around if you can get it for good money.

Go for it :thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
My advice, for what its worth, is to hell with what sellar says about the cambelt change, and factor in a new one to your buying price. Say £800 from someone like Cloverleaf of Gloucester. Peace of mind then, you know its been done, and done properly. Probably added more than £800 to the price of your car too. But what do i know. On my third V6 now, a Ph1 GTV.
Good luck. Buy cheap, do the work yourself.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I guess it all depends on the asking/final price. I wouldn't pay a lot for the car, since it has an unknown engine history, but if its let's say 800, then go for it. Replace the cam and main bearings, belts, pulleys, water pump and you've got yourself a good 2.0 TS GTV with all the modifications for a long time of fun on the road (since the bushes, MAF, variator etc have been done allready). If not, there are plenty of fish in the sea :)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
The replacement engine will be no more of a gamble than if it hadn't been, both are unknown to you.

Loads of people still don't change the water pump, certainly not every belt change, I don't. Plugs, well again, what's the point in changing them if they are working well and you already have a big bill to pay. Not suspicious to me at all.

Most Gtv's mist up if left this time of year, again, no big deal if the heater and fan is working.

Factor in the cost of an oil / filter change and a new cambelt etc and with the work already done, it sounds like a good car to me.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, would agree on the mist-up mistery. Besides the air con doesn't come on if its 3-5 C or less so no use in turning it on.

Still, depends on the final price of the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

Well thanks for all your replies!

I agree, the engine is an unknown but so is buying a car with the existing engine - you don't know how either of them have been looked after. The only difference I guess is I would definitely know the mileage of the original by looking at the odometer!

A concern, I guess, is why the need to change the engine? Was the car not looked after and/or thrashed regularly before? Cambelt snapped? Head gasket? Etc etc. :eek::eek:

What I'm saying is is this an indication of how the car has been looked after in general...hmmm questions, questions :cry:

Gut instinct says go with your head, not your heart. Very difficult with any Alfa - but there are plenty more out there. :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Misting up may be the recirculation flap stuck?
Spark plugs are good for 60K miles but even then if they look ok, theres not much to be gained by replacing them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
A concern, I guess, is why the need to change the engine?
Two main reasons: either the belt snapped or the bearings failed. Depeding on the original mileage of the engine if it had somewhere in the region of 110-120 000 miles on the clock I would say the bearings failed. The cambelts are also prone to fail/snap if they haven't been replaced for a long time (lets say more then 6 years).

Start with the asking price. If you add up the cost of 500 for a service incl. cambelt and lets say 200 for the bearings and labour it's still cheap and nothing else has to be taken care of later on other then various gaskets, plastic bits, xenon hid kit, tyres, wheel bearings and electrical gremmlins in the winter :)

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Just to let you know the AC doesn't help clear the screen on these things and the screen takes years to de mist.

And my GTV has had 3 engines in the time I've owned it :lol:

But if you don't feel right about it simply wlk away :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
To the OP, if you don't mind me asking how much is the seller asking for the car?

Gives us a bit more of an idea if its worth buying or not!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
dishonesty from the seller would have put me off straight off...
He wasn't being dishonest. It's the usual thing to get a potential buyer to see the car before admitting to something that may be construed as a negative. He told him about the engine once he was there and as I say, what is the difference? the 2 engines are unknowns to the buyer. There are loads of Alfa Twinnies on rebuilt engines, all running well, mine is a cam belt failure rebuild, now better than new.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts