Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had my 147 for 4 months now, 5000 miles and I must say I am loving it. I am trying to get my wife to change to an Alfa, ( she aint got Alfa bit yet ) but I need a 156 diesel wagon, can I please ask for some pointers both good and bad as to what I can expect , and your previous experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
You mean aSportwagon hopefully, but yes, my opinion is only mine although I have had aggreement by others in that I think it looks better than the saloon and is more practical in many ways concerning carrying things , a nice lady's car as well without losing the appeal to men. (but then I would say that since I drive one)!
Its a good looking lifestyle estate and I am very happy with mine , being a petrol head all my life its quite a change to consider diesal but I have no regrets, very quick in the mid range and some of the lower, only lacks the range of revs that the petrol has but makes up in torque.
Hope this helps a little. (2.4 jtd veloce with sport leather and cruise and rain sens. wipers,'52plate upgrade interior.)
Cheers Pat

A

·
0 Posts
Ours is used for long commutes and absolutely excels at that. We have had to add a lump of foam to the seat back as the cutout in the seat gives us both slight backache.

Otherwise its a tremendous car. Just make sure you get a well maintained one. It can make a lot of difference. Its not a big estate car, but has enough space to be very usefull all the same.

Our is a 02 facelift Sportwagon 2.4JTD Turismo with cruise control added by me. We've done over 40,000 miles in the last year. Its needed a new battery, we put a new thermostat in, plus a new crank sensor and relay after a very short bout of no start (mainly the battery..others done mainly as a precaution).

Mrs A drives it quite carefully and gets nearly 50 mpg. The front tyres lasted 38,000 miles, and the original rears were replaced at 78,000 miles. Not many get tyre wear this good though, it just shows how steadily the car is used.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
2.4 veloce SW 2.4JTD 200+bhp, Q2, LSD etc.

Very good fun, driven very hard which is why I don't get great economy or much out the tyres.

It i possible to get the economy down to the 30's if you really give it some.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have just bought a 04 facelift 2.4JTD Veloce Sportwagon. I've had it for around 6 weeks and have been getting about 38mpg. This should improve to about 42mpg now that I've changed the thermostat (a not uncommon fault I believe). I do 50 miles a day and sometimes take it easy and sometimes drive a bit harder.

I bought one for the following reasons:

1. I couldn't find a better value, well specced estate diesel. Mine had 53k on the clock, satnav, 17" wheels, all of the luggage nets etc, sports leather seats from the Ti, ISOFIX (baby due next year) all for £7k.

2. It's sensibly sized and so my wife is happy to drive and park it. We have to park on a busy street where big is bad.

3. It sounds great and goes well.

Note: it is by no means a big estate. Mondeos and Vectras are way, way bigger. The 2.4 won't blow your mind with it's fuel economy.

PLEASE don't be put off by the common faults (stat, MAF, airbag lights, squeeky suspension). There isn't a car that doesn't have a set of common faults, e.g:

Porsche Boxsters - Corroding/siezing brakes and gearbox seals.
VAG 1.8T engines - MAF's and coil packs (personal experience of these)
Rover 1.8 k series engine (used in MGF and Elise) - Head Gasket (also personal experience of this).

I suppose you could by Japanese for reliability..........sorry did I snooze off. I think you get my point.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
am thinking of getting one in about a year or so...probs the facelifted version. its a fine looking car, bettered only by the jag x-type estate which is a fine looking car. i havent driven one as yet but i read everywhere that its a hoot, despite the diesel power....who can complain if it gives >35mpg and puts a smile on your face every morning?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Exactly what I thought Broom Zoeyellow. THe Jag X-type was the other car I considered. They are slightly more expensive though and the interiors are no where near as good as the 156 (IMO). A friend has one and it is very cheap Ford inside, but the outside is very nice.

2.4 is quick, but not as quick as your old 20V Turbo :cool:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
As long as you realise that an X-Type is just a Mondeo with a jag body on it.

Each to their own and all that. But not for me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Had mine for 6 weeks now - no regrets. I too think it's the best 'sport' estate, which is why I got it.

It had a few problems ( aircon, only one key, MAF ), but all easily sorted my myself - after some research on this site.

No regrets - go for it!!:) :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe the jtds are mostly very good. However, mine has been one of the most unreliable cars I have ever had- though I do like the torque and the sound. I bought mine at three and a half years old and 32k miles from a main agent and was less cautious than I should have been. If any car you find is not quite running as it should, walk away; it can cost considerably more to sort out a diesel than a petrol engine if they go wrong. I had much more confidence in my old 75 and have more faith in my S4 Spider than I do with the 156. Having said that, find a good one and you should be fine.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The X-type may just be a pretty Mondeo, but it is a really good car, but it deperatly needs a 6th gear on the diesels.
The aux belt tensioner packs up regular on them and the clutch seems to be made of old cornflakes packets.
The saloon is the prettier version, but space in the boot of saloon and estate is massive...
Something you don't get in the alfa SW, although the Alfa Sportwagon is a really pretty car - some say more than the saloon?

The alfa is more tunable, if only because the standard clutch can take the extra torque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts