Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gell's

thinking of buying another car, and potentially a V6 with the Q system over a Selespeed.

I know very little of this box, just that it shifts as an auto but still stir a stick, and that it is actually a Japanese unit, so am i right to assume reliability is very good, or are there some niggles to look for?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

shrew

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The biggest problem with the Qsystem 'box is that its 4 speed and so not ideally suited to the peaky nature of the 2.5 V6.

It all depends what you want from the car. I use mine in the city and then out on the open road and find it a very good automatic and not what I would have expected.

I usually drive it in normal mode or switch to manual control - it does have Sport mode which holds the gears longer but I dont like it and prefer the manual control.

I drive mine hard and have had no major problems with it BUT you must keep an eye on the fluid level.

If you take one for a test drive then it should shift smoothly and I'd try it in manual mode and really floor it in 1st to 6500rpm, change to 2nd upto about 5000rpm and then completely lift off the throttle - this should show any weaknesses with the 'box change pattern

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
The biggest problem with the Qsystem 'box is that its 4 speed and so not ideally suited to the peaky nature of the 2.5 V6.
That is the main issue.
The 2.5V6 needs as many gears as it can get! only having 4-speeds brings the performance down to only very slightly better than a 2.0TS but obviously using a lot more fuel.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
True............but you still get the lovely V6 sound track and with its high gearing it makes a very good highway cruiser, at 4000rpm I sit at about 140kms and the engine feels very relaxed...............until you drop a gear and give it some stick :p

It does use about 25% more fuel than my Selespeed though

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that guys

the other fly in the ointment is that i want my next car to be a wagon, so my suspicion is that the extra size and weight, may not be entirely suitable if the 4speed is as you suggest.

plus, i will occasionaly want to tow, so will this really hamper it?

sounds to me like i'm better off with a normal manual, what do yer reckon?

shrew

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
There is plenty of power and torque (more than 2.0 TS) so I dont see it being a problem to tow. The believe the auto can take a lot of abuse and it has its own cooler and fan so should be able to cope with the extra load when towing.

I drive mine hard in 40deg+ temperatures so if it can handle that then I would think in the UK the gearbox wont get so hot even during towing.

I think the wagon is only a bit heavier than the saloon

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
If I was towing then I'd want the control that a manual box gives you, especially when on some of the slopes that british roads throw at you on the way to the pikey parks, those 2 extra gears really do make the difference and if you want better control you can always fit a Q2 diff (the standard diff is the 6 speeds achilles).

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The auto has manual control through an H pattern gearlever so you have the same control as with a manual car - it will not change to another gear unless you move the gear lever.

I agree that 6 speed box would give better control though

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The auto has manual control through an H pattern gearlever so you have the same control as with a manual car - it will not change to another gear unless you move the gear lever.

I agree that 6 speed box would give better control though
Yeah, I should have said "The increased control at low speeds that a 6 speed manual box gives you".

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
:lol:

Probably not many Qsystem Alfas in sunny Lossie :p

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Really.....didnt think many Qsystem were sold in the UK and was mostly manuals

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, and thats another possible problem.

if the q system are so unusual, am i going to find it hard to live with from a maintenance and parts point of view?

essentially though, even if it is pretty good, i need to make my mind up between a V6 manual, Q, or unlikely but a Selespeed, but with one final thing in the mix...

the 2.4 jtd

purely from a mpg (although currently there is only a few pence per mile difference, thanks Gordon!) and a towing point of view, but as i understand it this oil cookers can really shift now, particularly withg some diesel tuning???

again, your comments are fab, so keep em coming..

in fact i'm getting off topic, so i'll start a fresh thread, " 2.5 V6 or 2.4 JTD?"

see you all there...

shrew

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
I'm sure the cost per mile difference between a 2.5V6 & a JTD (even a 2.4) would be more than a few pence.

Parts & maintenance of a Q-System wouldn't be a problem.
They are not that rare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts